5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a designer, and I liked this book
I'm not a designer. That much is obvious from looking at the websites I produce that haven't been designed by someone else. That doesn't mean I don't care though; which is why on Christmas day last year I ordered this book.

I've only just got round to reading the book, but I'm glad I did. As a learning book it's deliberately quite lightweight and easy to get...
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by Neil Crosby

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of the advice!
It's an interesting book on how to best layout your materials, based on four principles - contrast, proximity, alignment and repetition.
However, I give it only 3 stars because she advises to eliminate Times New Roman font from all computers. DON'T!! I know many recruitment firms that read CVs and cover letters only if they're in TNR as it is professional, readable,...
Published 1 month ago by Professional

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for the amateur who produces newsletters, posters, etc for any organisation, society, or charity, 12 April 2014
John Lemon (Dorset) - See all my reviews
For many years I have produced newsletters and other publicity material for local clubs and societies, originally using Microsoft Publisher, and latterly various apps on the Mac. I enjoy doing it, and I have learnt and developed as I went, and reckon I do a pretty reasonable job (recipients of my efforts reinforce that view).
Then I read Robin Williams's book. It's well laid out - as you'd expect! - is written with a clarity of style, and illustrated with lots of examples, It focusses on four major considerations in planning your document, as well as discussing typefaces. All is done with gentle humour and helps you understand why that page you just laid out doesn't quite seem to work - and once you understand, you can fix it. I have learnt that my efforts fall well short of Robin's standards!
So I'm now off to analyse the last edition of my newsletter. I'll probably end up re-working it completely, and then I'll be able to publish the next edition with a fresh and more readable look.
I'm looking forward to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars if u're a starter go for it., 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
easy book to read, teaches u some basics of how to organize your design layout.
I would onl recommend this to ppl like me that never had design classes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-received gift, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
Bought this as a gift, so I can't comment from a personal point of view. But it was well-received and was put to use immediately, so I think it was a hit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
It was suggested to me by a friend that I get this book as I have no formal background in design but need to know the basics. This book does just that in simple language and lots of examples so that you can see where you've gone wrong in the past. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tips, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
As someone who has not been trained in design but who is responsible for a 20-page monthly newsletter, I found it very useful and it has improved my layout immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
Really great hands on book for the people that want to start designing. The practical and simple steps are really useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 9 Aug 2013
As a person that haven't had a design education background, I found this book to be immensely helpful.

I can now see AND name issues and problems that before I could only point out visually. On many occasions like the writer said I knew something was wrong but could not put my finger to it.
The sections on typography are priceless, especially for a beginner. Like a blind person, you see the light for the first time.

I already feel much more confident in tackling any design puzzle now thanks to this book.

Thank You.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 11 May 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
Great book for someone who wants to learn about the basic concept of designing a printed material. As a beginner with no knowledge in that area I enjoyed the book very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good back to basics or intro, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
I like this for its simplicity in reinforcing the 'rules' (and how to break them) of design. Highly recommend this as an 'Exactly what the title says' book. Useful to flick through and remind yourself occasionally!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
Really easy to read and has lots of examples of good design work and shows how to make a start with a new piece of work

The Non-Designer's Design Book
The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin Williams (Paperback - 12 Feb 2008)