5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a designer, and I liked this book
I'm not a designer. That much is obvious from looking at the websites I produce that haven't been designed by someone else. That doesn't mean I don't care though; which is why on Christmas day last year I ordered this book.

Published on 9 Mar. 2010 by Neil Crosby

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor idea on a Kindle
A good reference book for those who need to pick up the basics, however I would recommend that anyone wanting this should buy the treebook version. I have a problem with a product that presents colour wheels on a device that can only display shades on grey!
Published on 6 Nov. 2010 by BLCBubb

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a designer, and I liked this book, 9 Mar. 2010
Neil Crosby - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)

I've only just got round to reading the book, but I'm glad I did. As a learning book it's deliberately quite lightweight and easy to get through in a short time, in the same way that Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think" is designed to be absorbed in a couple of hours on a flight. All told, I spent about three hours with this book, on my tube journeys to and from work this week.

Robin starts her journey by briefly explaining the concepts of Contrast, Repetition, Alignment and Proximity (anyone spot an acronym there?), before moving on to explore each concept in greater detail. As Robin repeatedly tells us in her book, by being able to name the concepts you're able to identify them and use them deliberately rather than accidentally.

The second half of the book deals with type; the different styles of typefaces, how to combine them and horrible errors of judgement to avoid.

Spread throughout the book are a bunch of mini quizzes and exercises designed to get you thinking about what you've just read. The quizzes are a nice touch, and I'm sure I've retained more knowledge because of them than I would have done if I'd just read through from cover to cover.

The book covers design in general, rather than being focused on the web, print or presentations. Whilst Williams has written a book called "The Non-Designer's Web Book" I specifically chose to buy this one because both I wanted a general overview book and because the web book is from 2005 (a lifetime ago on the web) and has some mixed reviews. "The Non-Designer's Design Book" did not disappoint - it's given me that overview that I was looking for, and I now feel a bit more comfortable that my designs will actually work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro for Non-Designers, 26 Jun. 2009
Robert Cooper "robcthegeek" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
I am a software developer so I am naturally awful at creating things that look good ;)

I am very much aware of user experience though, and I hate the idea that I am potentially creating something useful that no one ever wants to pick up because of bad UI designer.

This author came highly recommended to be, and I can see why. Robin does an excellent job of breaking down the concepts of design and demonstrating them. This book has really opened my eyes to the basic principles of good design and made an excellent "foot in the door".

A must for those that are not naturally artistic-creatives :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book for a developer who 'can't' design!, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
This has to be one of the best books I've read.

I'm a web developer (not designer at all) and after reading this book it's the first time I feel like I can actually design something because it tells you the principles of design in plain English and concentrates on making sure you can name these principles, as once you've named them you can understand and implement them.

There's no wishy washy arty design stuff in this, much more 'concrete' principles that are actually described and well defined.

If you're a developer who thinks you can't design because you don't have that 'flare' or creative spark (I was) then this will change that!

If you're interested in a more in-depth review here's a link to my blog:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely for hardcore coders, 17 Jun. 2013
U. Sule "RV" - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
If you are heavily focused in coding and really struggle with design like me, this book will be a guaranteed help.

I really struggle to start off my designs, but it's much easier to improve a bad one. This book really helps you understand the fundamentals of design, and colour; from there all you need to do is practice.

Brilliant and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonably good, comprehensive look at text and graphic design, 4 Aug. 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
The title of this book is well chosen. It is a book about design but its target is not the design professional but the everyday person who at the minimum needs regularly to create documents of some form or another. There are many who use a word processor that has some sort of page layout capability - most now do - or who are creating longer documents that demand use of a full-blown page layout program. Adobe's InDesign and QuarkXpress are two of the most popular, although there are others which are more affordable, such as that offered by Serif.

When laying out a page, there are many considerations including typeface, font size and colour, placement of titles, subtitles and headings, size and location of images and much more. It is complex and few will get it right every time. This book takes the reader through the process and includes some specific advice for the users of some of the most-used software which, with relevant modification, could also be used in some other.

Although there is some technical terminology used, the book is not intended to be overtly technical and, for most readers, it is at about the correct level for its audience. However, by trying to embrace 'design' in a broader context than most non-professional users would ever likely need, that is its minor short-coming. Robin Williams, a female rather than the comedy actor of the same name, is a designer by profession and should therefore have plenty of first-hand knowledge and experience to pass on.

I actually bought the first edition when it came out some years ago, and I found it quite valuable. This is much updated and includes some of the more recent features that have been introduced into software since the first edition was published.

Recommended, although there are parts of the book that few will actually need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 13 May 2010
Gizzer (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book and learned an awful lot from it.

Interestingly some of the topics covered design rules that I was already subconsciously adhering to. But as the book says several times: being able say why something is right or wrong (because you know what design principle is being used/broken) gives you power over the design and the capability to correct it.

I'd recommend it to any techy and/or non designer as an essential read.

Remember: Be Bold!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Type Book, 17 July 2009
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
My kids are getting fed up with their Mum reading books on type, but I have to say I've become hooked. I recently read Getting it Right with Type, which was all very interesting and academic in its approach, but the type itself and layout were very difficult to read...
THIS book however, is fun, accessible, readable and informative. I read it on the train whilst travelling in and out of London for a week and couldn't wait to get home and categorise my fonts on my Mac according to Robin's explanations. Now I can choose an appropriate font with an UNDERSTANDING of what works and what doesn't rather than just thinking "Oooh - that's pretty!" I have also been designing ads for few years for my husbands business and my own - with no prior training but no budget for professionals. However, NOW, I can look at them and see immediate ways for improvement.

Robin is right - once you can name a design principle or recognise a design problem, you can solve it.

I'm now reading The Non-Designer's Web Book. First I thought it was too basic for me... but now I'm hooked and lights are switching on with each turn of the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for the amateur who produces newsletters, posters, etc for any organisation, society, or charity, 12 April 2014
John Lemon (Dorset) - See all my reviews
For many years I have produced newsletters and other publicity material for local clubs and societies, originally using Microsoft Publisher, and latterly various apps on the Mac. I enjoy doing it, and I have learnt and developed as I went, and reckon I do a pretty reasonable job (recipients of my efforts reinforce that view).
Then I read Robin Williams's book. It's well laid out - as you'd expect! - is written with a clarity of style, and illustrated with lots of examples, It focusses on four major considerations in planning your document, as well as discussing typefaces. All is done with gentle humour and helps you understand why that page you just laid out doesn't quite seem to work - and once you understand, you can fix it. I have learnt that my efforts fall well short of Robin's standards!
So I'm now off to analyse the last edition of my newsletter. I'll probably end up re-working it completely, and then I'll be able to publish the next edition with a fresh and more readable look.
I'm looking forward to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice acquisition, 29 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
As a Front-End Developer, I have to create websites based on photoshop files created by designers. But they don't always provide the design for all the pages of a huge website and in this case, I have to come up with a design for them. I used to feel that my designs had something wrong but I had no idea what it was or how to solve the problems until I bought this book.

It doesn't mean I became the best web designer in the world after reading it, but I learned how to name the problems I had in my designs and learned some "rules" to be followed to avoid them. I even fixed some designs created by a non-designer friend that had the same problems I had.

If you are not a designer and have tryied to create sites/presentations/cards but you had a feeling that something was wrong with them but you cannot name them (not even fix the problems), this is the book for you. It may be the first step to open your eyes to the "design world" :P

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing experience, 4 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design Book (Paperback)
Even to one who thought he knew something about design, reading this book has been a life changing experience. I have not stopped rabbiting on about it to all my friends since I finished it. I am now reading the presentation book from the same series, which is equally good.

When I first looked at buying the book I wondered if it would be too basic for me. The book is 'basic' in the sense that it will give good advice to the complete beginner, but it also has a lot to offer the more experienced designer as well. Beautifully written, it hands out 'bite sized' chunks of information that will make you go "wow, yeah, of course" on every page. The info is presented in a very readable and entertaining way, for a 'how to' book it is a real page turner, I read the whole thing in about three days.

If you have a degree in design, you probably don't need this book, but the rest of us can learn a lot from it.

The Non-Designer's Design Book
The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin Williams (Paperback - 12 Feb. 2008)