Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2014
This book is essential reading for any System Administrator or Infrastructure Architect. It won't tell you what buttons to click or what to type at a command prompt, but it does discuss the thought processes and approaches required to designing and implementing IT systems. It is the closest to a book on infrastructure design patterns I have come across.

The writing style is easy to read and there are numerous anecdotes by the authors that bring their real world experiences to the topic being discussed.

I especially like the chapter structure that details the basics required to implement a solution, with a further section entitled "the icing" which takes the solution further.

If you have any interest or responsibility in systems administration, you need this book.
on 27 October 2010
I cannot fault this book at all and it is perfect for anyone though I especially recommend it for anyone just starting out in IT, graduates et al. That being said however, anyone can pick this book up and learn very easy to read information what ever stage of their career they are, whether you have recently been promoted, or are starting in a new field of IT, their is something for every one. This book is all about the theory and this is often missing from a lot systems and network administrators. This won't tell you what commands to type at what time, but it give you a solid background of information that is just as vital and the information you will learn will help you build and maintain networks that stand to the test of time. If you are working in IT, buy this book; no arguments!
on 18 July 2011
So far I've thoroughly enjoyed the book. I'm a recent bachelor's degree graduate in systems administration and I wanted to find something new to study my field from and so far I've learned a great deal, including sane prcatices and what to do and what not to.

So far I only have about a year's worth of work experience from my current job, but for what's it worth, I do recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more.
on 18 May 2008
I wanted to improve my knowledge reading just some of the chapters... Once I started reading it I couldn't skip any word.

If you are beginner interested in networking - buy it. If you are senior IT networking specialist - buy it!

Money invested in this book will pay you back.
on 16 February 2013
The book gives you solid fundaments to apply to system administration. It doesn't cover any specifics, so it won't help with little problems, but will give you great guidelines to design great systems and their maintenance process.
on 10 March 2014
The book was delivered before the ETD, it was in great condition and will be useful help in our work. If you are on your way to becoming a sysadmin this is a must have book.
on 3 March 2016
This is one of the best books on systems and network administration which contains some useful fundamental information for systems and network administrator.
on 15 December 2011
Good reading for a system administrator.
It can help you to manage lots of situations of real sysadmin life with several examples and alternatives.
on 10 September 2014