5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction to php, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides) (Paperback)
PHP isn't the easiest of languages to learn, no matter what anyone tells you. I was looking for an organised introduction to it that would explain everything gently and in laymens terms, but still give me the ability to start building php websites by the end. That's exactly what this book did, and I absolutely love it. In fact, I've read mine about 4 times now, and the pages are starting to fall out, so I may even need to get myself another copy soon. This is a really good book for fledgling php developers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to PHP, 20 Nov 2010
I resisted learning PHP for a long time. I stuck solidly to HTML and CSS when building my own webpages, though I did use third-party PHP-based software on my site. One of the scripts was very buggy and not very secure, so I was convinced that not only was PHP hard to learn, it was fully of security holes. I've since revised my opinion.

Before I bought this book, I bought a couple of other books, but they were not as easy to follow as this one. This book is geared towards people who have little or no experience of programming. (You should be familiar with HTML and CSS. I would not attempt to use this book if you don't have a handle on those.) The scripts are very practical and useful, and I can see myself using them on my site in the future. I highly recommend it.

The reason I gave this book four stars, and not five, is that the section at the end about regular expressions isn't really that useful. He does not cover PCRE; POSIX is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. (Current version is 5.3.3) I was really disappointed with that, as it's hard to find good tutorials online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn PHP, 11 Nov 2012
ronwooduk (North Yorks, England) - See all my reviews
This book takes you step by step though the basics of PHP. I already had knowledge of HTML and CSS before I ventured into PHP and I think you do need to know basic web design before going into other programming languages. Larry Ullman explains the nuts and bolts of PHP very well and takes the reader through a series of learning exercises which you do on your own computer by copying the text from the book. There are files containing all of the examples which can be downloaded for free. It's a great way to get to grips with the subject. I starting using PHP in my web sites very soon after purchasing this book. It was my first book on PHP and I still refer back to it. This is a great book for a beginner.

PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
19.01