5.0 out of 5 stars Channels Wow! Factor
Published on 16 July 2007 by Mrs. A. H. V. Greenwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a lot of good information. Poorly delivered.
I had high hopes for this book and, as far as explaining the material covered, most of them were fulfilled... so why does it get only three stars?

Because I thought I was buying a book on a technical aspect of Photoshop (= channels), not a book on lame jokes (and excuses about them such as "sorry, I was drunk when I wrote that intro)!

This is...
Published on 11 Dec 2006 by T. Anna

5.0 out of 5 stars Channels Wow! Factor, 16 July 2007
Mrs. A. H. V. Greenwood "AnnieUK" (Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
Having little or no experience of using channels, I found this book opened up a new dimension in using photoshop CS2. I have enjoyed immensely going through this book, the step by step tutorials is excellent, easy to follow and written in a language that is suitable for beginner, and intermediate user. A very good reference tool, a must for anyone wishing to progress in using photoshop. If I could give it a 10 out of 10, I would. Scott Kelby, is a super writer, I like his style, the technique he uses simplifies the technology, making it an enjoyable experience. This book definately deserves the Wow! factor. Thanks Scott!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very accessible style and many useful tips, 22 Dec 2007
Androo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
I never really knew what to do with channels in Photoshop. I knew they were there, but I didn't really touch them. Since getting this book, I seem to spend most of my time delving into the channels palette. If you spend a lot of time post processing your photographs, I think you will find many useful techniques, whether it's making masks and selections, sharpening more successfully, or improving colour and contrast.
A particularly intriguing part of the book is the part about working with the Lab channels, and if anything, this is the part I have found most useful. So it's a bit of a shame that he barely touches on the subject and spends most of the time in the RGB channels.
Anybody who uses Photoshop regularly but perhaps not so expertly, like me, will also pick up plenty of other tips and tricks to get things done. Just following some of Scott Kelby's recipes will give you an insight into parts of Photoshop you might not otherwise have reached.
Kelby's style is unrelentingly joke-ridden. I can forgive him for trying to make the subject more fun, but the jokes get in the way a bit when you're trying to follow a complex series of instructions. Despite this, the book still comes across as friendly and accessible, written in plain English, or at least, plain American.
Of all the books about Photoshop I've bought and read, this is probably the most interesting and has been the most useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull, Don't waste money on magazines., 20 Jun 2007
Mr. David Fisher "Izzitgood" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
I first browsed this book in an expensive book store and within minutes realised again that Scott Kelby is second to none when learning Photoshop techniques.

If channels remains as just another mysterious area within Photoshop then this book will transform your use and understanding of of channels and how to utilise them when making selections and masks of your photos. Difficult selections become much more simple when using channels and enhancing the selections becomes so much easier.

The book is easy to follow and even the sample pictures are available as free downloads for you to use when following the techniques outlined.

Start at chapter 1 and you wont go wrong, miss out the early chapters and you will definately miss out overall.

I am a big fan of the Big Man and recommend this book without hesitation, buy it on amazon, save money, save time, become a better photographer, I did and want to spread the word. So don't delay buy it today. Sorry I might be taking this a little too far.

Dave, Glasgow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Channels understood, 30 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
This book explains how to use channels in an easy and practical way. I did not know so much could be achieved using channels and with relatively little effort.
The chapter on Colour to Black & White is very informative in showing various ways to achieve very good black & white images. All easy to use.
An outstanding book and the best I have bought on using Photoshop; that includes other books by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelby does it again!, 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Scott Kelby's books, and have bought most (if not all!) of his Photoshop and photography ones over the last few years.

I had used channels in a very basic form before picking up this book, but now I'm hooked! Scott explains the uses very well, as always, and gives some great examples too. All the images can be downloaded so that you can work through the book, rather than just read it.

I think my girlfriend's comment was "...I take it you like that, seeing as you've not put it down since you got it...", which I think says it all!

Once again, a brilliant book by a brilliant author. Highly recommended. Thanks Scott!

5.0 out of 5 stars foto3000, 23 Jan 2007
D. Osborn "fotoACE" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
This book will teach you some amazing techniques some of which are pinched with the approval of Dan Margulis, and for all Scott's faults with the very lame jokes it is worth it for some absolute treasures. And it just took one long day to get through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a lot of good information. Poorly delivered., 11 Dec 2006
T. Anna "Milano" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)

This is probably the most unprofessionally written book I ever bought on Photoshop (and I started with PS4, so believe me I bought a load) and it's so irritating that I'm writing my first review here to vent it out.

When it comes to tech details, Kelby is a proper author, explaining from his experience in a clear and easy to understand manner. If you took away all the chapter introductions, and the unnecessary prose Kelby produces, you'd have a good solid book, probably 30/35 pages smaller but well worth it.

Too bad that the author just had to play the comedy card: remember the jolly uncle that is funny for approximately two minutes, while after 10 you are ready to strangle him? Imagine READING it and knowing that instead of learning you're wasting time!

And I bet mr Kelby laughed all the way home from his editor thinking about how people finally would be able to read and re-read his WONDERFUL prose.

A couple of times throughout the book Kelby suggests other authors, one of which is Katrin Eismann. While on photoshop I'm sure he doesn't need any tips, I strongly advise him to take lessons from her regarding writing style.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good buy, 6 Jan 2010
E. Sivertsen (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
I bought as a christmas present for somebody and have gotten the chance to look through it myself.
If you're a Photoshop beginner or intermediate, I'd say this book is a very good introduction to the magic of channels and selections in Photoshop. A perfect companion would be the "Layers" book by Matt Kloskowski.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last I can select hair!, 1 Aug 2009
E. Susan Storey "Sue Storey" (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
As usual Scott Kelby makes, what had been previously incomprehensible to me, relatively easy.
I quite like his corny jokes too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, poor style, 8 May 2007
D. Allen (Cambridge, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book (Paperback)
This is an excellent book on all things Photoshop channels. All of the tutorials are very easy to follow and I've learned a great deal. The book is filled with numerous excellent techniques for improving your pictures and easily dealing with what I once considered to be major problems.

The only downers with this book are the author's approach throughout which tries to be funny but sadly, ends up being childish and irritating and, worse than that, is the cringe-making Acknowledgments section - Yuk!

Ignore those 2 aspects if you can and you have a valuable Photoshop resource.

The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book
The Photoshop CS2 Channels Book by Scott Kelby (Paperback - 14 Feb 2006)
Used & New from: £1.73