4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read intro to Opengl and the 3D gaming world

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea
Published on 13 April 2007 by O. Arnold

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea, 13 April 2007
O. Arnold (Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open GL: A Primer (Paperback)
I think the idea behind this book is excellent. The OpenGl Red and Blue books are not sufficient in my mind to bring the uninitiated into the world of OpenGl programming. This book provides great explanations that just don't exist in the Red book and is written to take the reader gradually through increasing complexity levels. As a result, I have learned a great deal through this book and refer to it constantly.

However, I was very dissapointed with the coded examples the book provides. There are way too many spelling mistakes, which is unacceptable when you're publishing a book containing coded examples. Why didn't the author try and actually compile the code before he put it in the book!? I would like to give this book a full 5-stars, but was unhappy that the book managed to make it to press containing so many mistakes. I hope they republish this book without the errors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read intro to Opengl and the 3D gaming world, 31 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Open GL: A Primer (Paperback)
I searched the web for an introduction to OpenGL and the world of 3D gaming. I am an experienced programmer and so didn't want some long winded pain staking intro to the world of OpenGL - I wanted to quickly cover all basic principles involved. I certainly got that with this book ! It covers opengl and importantly - glut.h and it's functions as well. Forget NeHe (gaming developers site) as that doesn't have glut code for Windows ! - what takes NeHe 300 lines in VC++ this book can give you in 15 lines ! Within one day I had developed simple 2D apps with the ability to move the camera, resize, redraw, and to create animation. The next day I was onto 3D ! As I said this is so simple (if you're a C programmer). Although there are a few errors in his program code they're certainly easy to spot and rectify and probably mean you use your brain that little bit more and learn it that more thoroughly. I'd give it 5 stars but for the simple errors and the text's confusion between which coordinate systems we should be using and when.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Code Without It, 18 Dec. 2008
This review is from: OpenGL: A Primer (Paperback)
This book is by far the best quick reference for the OpenGL API. It's short, straight to the point, and avoids the usual bs you get with most reference books. Yes, there are a few spelling mistakes etc. in the code, but I've come to expect that in every programming book I read.

My only objection is that it doesn't delve into the really nitty gritty stuff; although there are other books out there which do this.

If you're interested in any kind of graphics or games programming, buy this! It'll be your friend for life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible examples and many coding flaws, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: OpenGL: A Primer (Paperback)
What I've found when trying to learn new programming languages or API's is that coding examples are essential, and that's where this book fails horribly. Many of the examples require that you use code from other examples in the book, which quickly makes it confusing to quickly test and code something you just read about. Furthermore the examples are riddled with bad coding practices and spelling errors. I've spent way too much time fixing code because of this.

OpenGL: A Primer
OpenGL: A Primer by Edward Angel (Paperback - 9 April 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01