on 1 October 2010
Being a researcher in corporate finance, I definitely recommend this textbook. It is not of elementary level, but it is the most comprehensive I've ever seen so far.
on 12 June 2011
This classic and "antique" reference continue to be the only one with some scientific proofs of corporate finance results. The Shastri update gives, among other improvements, "the" actual valuation models in effective spreadsheets, ready to be used. Widely internationally adopted at graduate level, it remains "the" reference for any researcher / pratictioneer in the field.
on 25 October 2010
I used this book for an introductory course in finance. Because I come form an economics background the theoretical material presented in this book was fairly straight forward. I would highly recommend to whoever picks up this book to be familiar with basic economic ideas and intuition, e.g. indifference curves, discounting, utility/profit maximisation.

My main criticism is that the authors insisted on randomly throwing in accountancy jargon without explaining it and trying to make the material "practical" by trying to compare economic theory to real life accountancy and business standards. This made the book seem unfocused and cluttered. In economics, the authors of textbooks try to abstract away from all the irrelevances and focus on the fundamental issue, while it seems in business administration circles good authorship is synonymous with confusion. I would recommend that before you pick up this book you are familiar with at least basic accountancy.
on 26 January 2010
This is one of the most disgusting textbooks I have ever come across. It consists of an incomprehensible array of bad summaries of unrelated journal articles. It is unnecessarily complicated and long-winded and has no intuition whatsoever. Finally the explanations of the mathematics are equally as bad.

If there is one thing I hate more than bad teaching it is bad textbook writing. The authors and the editors as well as any teachers who recommend this as their text should all be ashamed of themselves!
on 11 November 2015
Right price!
on 3 February 2006
Note This review applies only to the 4th edition.
This 4th edition book was recommended on a reading list for an economics related course and I duly bought it. Big mistake! There are numerous errors; decimal points omitted, plus signs where there should be minus signs and x's where there should be y's. Some of these mistakes are more obvious than others. In one example that I noticed 'in' has been left out from the word inefficient and the sentence has a completely different meaning.
Imagine my surprise when I checked a third editon copy and found it free from these mistakes. I wish I'd just bought a second-hand copy of the 3rd edtion. All in all it is a very poorly edited text. Lecturers out there - please do not recomend this edition to your studies so that hours of confusion can prevented!
on 5 November 2014
Perfect
on 29 November 2005
Although one of the more expensive books around, it's certainly the best. It's not only useful for MBA and Doctoral students, but I am constantly using it as an Undergraduate taking a Finance course. Highly recommended.
on 15 January 2013
It's too old. The cover is broken a little. However, inside of the book is okay. And the price is not deserve.
on 6 February 2012
this book is in poor quality and there are too many obvious errors which are completely awaste of my time!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse