4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet
Published on 26 Nov 2004 by Iain Mcginniss

2.0 out of 5 stars Denied 1 star only because it's an interesting idea
I'm going to list my 3 day old copy in the Used section after I've finished writing this review.
This book is in 4 sections, each of which would be a magazine article for any other author:
1. A tiring, trivial example of TDD strung out over a staggering 80 pages in normal Kent-Beck-six-sentences-per-page style.
2. An overview of JUnit, bizarrely documented...
Published on 27 Sep 2004 by bob

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 26 Nov 2004
This review is from: Test Driven Development (The Addison-Wesley Signature Series) (Paperback)
Many of the other reviews for this book have criticised it for it's length and "lack of content". However, I found the book very enjoyable for what it is: an introduction to test driven development. TDD can be (and was for me) quite an alien concept for many programmers trained in a traditional way, where testing is often an afterthought. Kent's first example of TDD, while fairly trivial, outlines all the key points in how to practice TDD properly. It also fills you with confidence and makes you think "yeah, I could probably do that".
Perhaps you will feel differently, but I like the book simply because it is short. Huge computing textbooks that cram in too much information annoy me; I rarely have the time to read through such huge tomes or absorb everything they are trying to tell you in one sitting. I was able to read the first part of this book, and attain a reasonable understand of TDD in just over 2 hours.
The book is not terribly expensive either, and sets the stage for further reading on TDD and agile methodologies in general.
I would recommend this book if you are at all interested in TDD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book that's likely to be underappreciated, 17 Feb 2012
Mr. R. Dalton (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book has a problem.

It is (in my opinion) the best introduction to TDD that you can get if you are starting from little or no knowledge, but if you are starting from that position you're unlikely to appreciate just how good a book it is. This I think accounts for the range of reviews that the book attracts.

When I first read this book I was very new to TDD, but I found the book very easy to read and understand (it's very clearly written). The danger in reading a book that you find easy to understand is that you can be lulled into thinking it's all stuff you already knew.

When you fall into that trap you can read paragraphs or whole chapters less attentively than you should, and you come away knowing little more than you did at the beginning, but you can get a false sense of security in your ability.

Having returned to this book recently following chats with a colleague, and armed with a few more years of experience with TDD, I really see that many of the problems I've faced with TDD were addressed in this book that I had read, but didn't appreciate, years ago.

If this book didn't do it for you on a first read, then come back to it. Even if you loved it the first time, come back to it again with some more TDD experience and you may find it's actually an even better book than you thought.

The very slow methodical approach to TDD that Beck uses in the book is deliberate, and he warns the reader that they may not like it. He also points out that he goes at that pace, not because it's the correct pace, but because at times you will need to be able to go at that pace.

2.0 out of 5 stars Denied 1 star only because it's an interesting idea, 27 Sep 2004
2. An overview of JUnit, bizarrely documented in Python. Nothing against Python but what's the point when the aim is to understand JUnit, not get a taster in a new language?
3. An brief overview of Design Patterns
4. An brief overview of Refactoring
There is very little new in this book and even less to help with doing it on a real project.
But wait! Before I'm branded an unthinking curmudgeon it's not all bad; for those who have pondered the vexing issue of how to add a parameter to a method then tucked away on page 190 I found this pearl of wisdom:
1. If the method is an interface, add the parameter to it.
2. Add the parameter to the method
3. Use the compiler to show you the calls that need changing
Well what can I say...eureka? Thanks for that Kent, I'll raise it at my next developer meeting but tell'em I thought of it, they'll think me a genius.
How Addison Wesley can put this book in the same class as Martin Fowler's stuff is a mystery, the Fowler books contain more information in the Preface.

5.0 out of 5 stars the starting point for anyone interested in TDD, 1 Feb 2012
TDD is one of the most important concepts to emerge in modern day software development and this book is where it started. Anyone attempting to begin TDD should read this book first.

I have to give credit to the author for being able to get across such a major concept in an easy to understand way. I was able to get through this book in a weekend and get myself to a stage where I was confident in attempting TDD. I now find myself referring back to the point every time a TDD problem becomes a little difficult and I need a reminder of the basic principles.

One word of warning I would give. This books covers the basics of TDD only. If you're looking for more advanced techniques like mocking and stubbing frameworks, you won't find it here. For that reason, once you're comfortable with the basics, I'd recommend Roy Osheroves book, 'The Art of Unit Testing' as a companion to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Test driven development by example, 7 Sep 2003
Mr. R. J. Jepps "Richard Jepps" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This book starts as means to go on - first write a test! OK I'm exaggerating, the first test is on page 4. The point is that this is a very practical book, and it gives very clear insights into one man's method of development. This is the most interesting part of the book - otherwise you could stop once you'd read the title!
The concepts will be familiar to anyone with a passing knowledge of extreme programming (XP), although it isn't necessary to use XP to use test-driven development. The concepts themselves are both simple and elegant, and therefore easy to understand. The catch is that to put the concepts into practice requires a great deal of conscious effort and self discipline. Believing in TDD is not enough, you really have to live it!
I'm at the believing stage myself. I have used it on occasions when stuck on difficult problems and it really does work, although I haven't yet cultivated the patience to use it all the time. Some of the problems that I've come across in practice are addressed here (e.g. use of mock objects instead of a database/remote server/flaky module).
The book is written in a very easy-to-read style, and a very even tempo. It's aimed at an intermediate level audience, the main problem that a beginner is likely to have is not in understanding how, but why.
There are a few little quibbles: most of the code is in Java, but in the middle of the book the author switches to Python, before mercifully switching back again to finish. I also noticed that one of the tasks that had been crossed off as done was deliberately broken to move forward, without being uncrossed. This looks accidental, but it gnawed at me as I read on. Minor flaws in a well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read., 4 Jun 2014
I love this book. It's written in first person which makes it an interesting read. I had fair idea about test driven development but this book took my knowledge further.

3.0 out of 5 stars Covering just the basics, 1 Jun 2014
Good starting point for people who never approached TDD. I finished the reading with few good tips but still have a huge lot of questions and doubts left unanswered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obligatory for programmers who want to start with TDD, 9 Nov 2013
In really simple and even humorous way Kent Beck explains the test-driven development approach. He convinced me, that it's reliable method to build powerful and dependable systems. Not only the programmer is sure, that the system is running the way it's supposed to, but also the code is kept clean and easy to maintain.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating read, 22 Jun 2013
I am finding this book very hard to read. The style of writing is tedious and there is not much content in every paragraph you read. The way the TDD thought process and its inevitable conflicts are portrayed seems childish and distracts the reader more than anything.
The author is trying very hard to be entertaining but that is not what I'm looking for in a TDD book. Take the following excerpt for instance:
"You aren't thinking about the implementation of equals(), are you? Good. Me Neither. After snapping the back of my hand with a ruler, I'm thinking about how to test ..."
This book is full of comments like this which I found unnecessary and distracting. I was expecting a `more to the point' style of writing which unfortunately, this book fails to deliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Simple and Educational, 28 Mar 2013
The book is very nice because it has good layout and a simple structure which every time introduces the theory of the workj case which it introduces and it very educational with its examples and tasks.

Test Driven Development (The Addison-Wesley Signature Series)
22.99