on 6 November 2002
I have programmed HTML before, using HTML 3.2, back in 1997. A lot has changed since then, but I never really took notice, until now...
Recently, I was asked to create a website for a project at work. Realising how things have changed, I needed a book that is good for beginners in the new HTML versions and ideas (HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.0 and CSS 1/2), but also not too patronising for people who have done HTML before and know the basics.
I believe my choice was spot-on!
Especially at the beginning, this is a really basic book, but I agree that not all people are seasoned experts. However, it quickly moves on to more advanced stuff. HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 are concurrently introduced and described, as there are not many differences between them. Styles are presented early across 4 chapters, which helps the eager reader getting to grips quickly with designing and building simple pages. Then more advanced features are presented, such as tables, forms, frames, two chapters of scripting, and even WML! The discussions for (X)HTML tags and attributes are complete, as well as for CSS properties. Browser peculiarities on different platforms are also presented throughout, so you learn how to deal with them. The appendices are very good with a list of (X)HTML tags, CSS properties, even a table of web colours. And to top it all off, an excellent website with tips, extras and even a discussion forum!
What more do you need from a book? Just buy it!
on 15 June 2003
I wanted to write a website from scratch, knowing that certain programs added extras to make the files too large. This book has proved to be invaluable in writing my new site. The use of pictures to illustrate how a code list should look is a brilliant idea, and I can't recommend this book high enough. With the associated website, this book is the best way I can think of to write a very respectable website.
on 7 January 2004
Certainly the best computer 'How To' book I've yet seen, and I've seen a few. Clearly laid out, no large areas of white space to make the book chunkier and a very good website run by the author. Her website has examples and advice clearly cross referenced to the relevant page in the book. Other authors, please note!
on 7 April 2003
This book was a great help to me and has given me much inspiration. The content is excellent and easy to understand a must for any beginner, excellent for students or just for reference. The visual quickstart guides are the best on the market for all web based computer technologies.
on 30 August 2003
I only bought this book today. But after reading the first few chapters I just could not put it down. This is one of the best books on HTML that I have read. Well done to the author.
If there is only one book that you buy on HTML make it this one.
on 25 September 2005
This book tells you all you need to know to get a website started including how to add text, pictures and links. I've never used HTML before but soon got to grips with it and had my website up and running in one day. Another book worth looking at is Castro's HTML for WWW Visual Quickstart Guide, this adds a lot more detail to what you learn in Creating a Web Page.
As I want to be able to create my own website from scratch I thought I must get to grips with HTML. Looking through the list of books I finally decided on this one. Yes it's a good book, but to be honest it isn't really aimed at complete novices like myself. The layout is confusing as it doesn't seem to go from the basics to building a site in easy stages. On the plus side it has most of what you need to know, but on the minus side it isn't easy to understand.

If like me, you are a complete novice I couldn't recommend this book - indeed I learnt more from the internet - try youtube they have some amazing help there and its all free.

The sections on CSS are even more vague and to tell the truth, the book was too complicated for me to understand exactly what CSS was all about. I feel the book was written by someone who really knows their stuff, but isn't very good in putting it across.
on 22 February 2004
I bought this book as a starter into HTML and WOW what a book it is. It goes through all the information that you need in a clear and understandable way, but being short and concise - it deals with what to do, not why youdo it. As the book also covers CSS, it gives details on how to do things in either format. The reference section at the back is ideal for finding that one tag or element that you need. This is the most well written book in HTML that I have ever seen. Combining this with Liz Castro's website and you have a reference that is indipensiable. On the strength of this book, I blindly bought numerous titles in the Peachpit 'For the Web' series and all are equally good. Liz Castro's book is ideal for both the beginner and the seasoned Web developer - Welcome to the author and to the publisher, they are on to a wining formula.
on 22 November 2003
Now I'm a wee bit older I rekon than the other reviewers,and I bought this for my college student son, but even my old brain has come to terms with the mysteries of HTML,and now I'm currently producing my own web site.This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and thanks to this great book I am now doing it. My son is also doing well because of this book. Has to be 5 stars.
on 11 February 2004
Until getting this book I had never written html before, after reading this book I am now successfully designing and making a website, it's brilliant, well worth the money if you're thinking about getting into web design.