5.0 out of 5 stars The best html guide I have come across!
To begin with I was a little dawnted by the huge index page and all the unrecognisable jargon.
I was vaguely familiar with html and web design before I bought this book and found the structure suited my capabilities.
Published on 28 Oct 2003 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Easy Peasy
As I want to be able to create my own website from scratch I thought I must get to grips with HTML. Looking through the list of books I finally decided on this one. Yes it's a good book, but to be honest it isn't really aimed at complete novices like myself. The layout is confusing as it doesn't seem to go from the basics to building a site in easy stages. On the plus...
Published on 10 July 2011 by A. Roberton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best html guide I have come across!, 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS. (Visual QuickStart Guide) (Paperback)
The book starts by introducing the easier techniques and running through to the more difficult html and xhtml. This structure would allow novices through to more accomplished web designers to pick the book up at the level necessary.
I have read the book through twice and have been able to grasp all of the methods due to the excellent layout of the pages. Each html technique has a clearly defined heading, a description of the technique, the relevant html code layed out as you would in your web design package and finally the finished page to give you an ideology of pages you can design through this book.
Although I now consider myself to be quite competant with html, the HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide is never far away. Due to the books extensive guide and glossary it is ideal to be used as a reference source.
This book is excellent for learning html and since I have progressed to other similar guides for dhtml and believe this series has a winning formula for learning web design

4.0 out of 5 stars Good HTML introduction, 10 Aug 2004
I got this having some familiarity with HTML but wanting to know how to move further with XHTML/CSS. As an introduction to HTML or as a way of moving away from the very basics I would recommend it. I also would disagree with the reviewer that compared this to a reference book - I have an (old) HTML reference book and this isnt that at all! It's a good introduction to all things web-development oriented and has plenty of clear diagrams and descriptions - it's pretty terse, but I think in benefits from that. You dont have to wade through a lot of verbiage before getting down to the nuts and bolts.
However, only give it four stars because I think the CSS reference in the title is a little misleading. There is coverage of this, enough to give you a basic grounding, but it's only a part of the book. There are also chapters on Tables, Frames (euugh!), Javascript, WML and just about every other aspect of web page development you might be interested in. I'd say the CSS parts only take up about 10% of the book. If you're looking a more thorough guide to standards-based web development and CSS, then you might be better looking elsewhere. However if you're less experienced and are happy with getting stuck straight into the code then I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual Quick, 12 Feb 2003
This book provides an excellent basic and comprehensive hands on step by step guide for beginners who
wish to learn about HTML (the language of the world wide web). Covering all the key
aspects of HTML editing including cascading style sheets, table layout,Java and CGI scripting
it provides a useful foundation for any novice wishing to either produce their own first web
site,or progress onto the more advanced commercial software packages available for professional
publishing. (Also highly recommended for those wishing to avoid hefty tutional course fees)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin!, 14 Dec 2005
Liz Castro knows her stuff!
I bought this book originally when it was published as a reference guide for brushing up on my HTML skills. Have recently released it from the bookshelf and used it to familiarise myself more with the techniques and uses of CSS as I am a complete beginner in this!
The book gives a very visual approach to HTML and CSS, uses plenty of screen shots, code examples and straightforward explanations. I have read through the chapters I needed in thorough detail, and used any other sections as reference as and when needed.
Gives lots of tips, suitable for both PC and Mac users, and best of all one of the cheapest books of its kind!
A definite desktop must have for designers and programmers, both new and intermediate.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide to html, 10 July 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book without any knowledge of html/xhtml...
It gives a good understanding of html, xhtml and stylesheets, allowing the creation of good coded web pages.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn about html. Excellent for starters and equally excellent for advanced designers that need a reference book as its very well constructed and indexed.
Written very well by Elizabeth in a understandable language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Beginners and for Referrence, 8 Nov 2003
If you are a beginner looking for a book to help you learn HTML quick and easy, then this is the book for you. It does not matter if you have any programming knowledge, as this book starts from the beginnning giving explanations as it goes along telling you what everything does. It is the perfect book for a beginner, as not only is it easy to read, but it also covers CSS and XHTML, all in one book, making it the ultimate read. It is also perfect for those who already know HTML as its easy to use as a reference guide. A must have for beginners and intermediates alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must have for anyone into web design, 20 Nov 2005
Mike (colchester) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after looking around for something to compliment the html & CSS I have learned studying the CIW internet webmasters course.
The book is so easy to follow even someone without prior knowledge would be writing their very own web site after a very short time.
The sections are well laid out so you can skip the basics if you know them & get right in to styling your page with CSS which I found extreamly useful.
Wheter you are new to X/HTML or not I would say this is a must have on your desk space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately worth a purchase!!, 16 Sep 2003
By A Customer
Very clear, very easy to use book. It gives a good understanding of HTML and CSS. The CSS section is particularly worth reading, as it will add an extra 'zing' to your site.
Although you can build yourself a website using programmes such as Front page or Dreamweaver, i would definately advise learning a bit of HTML & CSS - and this book is a perfect place to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars A one stop shop, 14 Nov 2002
MR JWH BUTLER (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This has to be the best (X)HTML course/reference source I have ever come across - superbly written in non-patronising layman's terms, without omitting any detail whatsoever, and including well presented, comprehensive appendices.
I would recommend this book to Web authors, tutors...or anyone with an interest in the workings of the Web; it fulfils the purposes of an excellent instruction manual, refresher/reference guide and good bed time read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 5 Feb 2006
Bought this book on a recommendation and haven't regretted it at all, whenever i'm working on a new web site the book is on my knee ready to delve into. I found the layout and examples to be very clear and concise, and when starting out i was able to follow the examples in the book very easily. I have other HTML and CSS books but this is the one that gets the most use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS. (Visual QuickStart Guide)
Used & New from: £0.01