2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, bad examples, not helpful at all..., 15 Oct 2004
Pedro Miguel Sousa "psousa_pt" (Lisboa, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design Patterns C# Workbook (Software Patterns) (Hardcover)
This book describes all the GoF patterns in C#. In my opinion it has several problems:
- First, all the examples are based in the same context, a fireworks factory. Although it might seem a fun concept, it's terrible when the writer tries to "squeeze" all the patterns into this context. Some patterns don't really make any sense at all. The examples have complex details that include information that doesn't help a thing explaining the concepts. ex: in the Facade pattern (which is probably the simplest pattern), the writer creates an example based on the trajectory of a firework, and then spends 3 pages explaining parametric equations... ???
- The book has many chalenges, and although I find that a positive thing, I hate the way the writer tries to force the reader into those chalenges. Many patterns (almost all) don't include a complete UML model, because it has to be the reader to fill in the spaces of an incomplete diagram... It's very frustrating.
I really, really tried to like this book, and I understand the motivation behind some of the writer decisions, but I don't find this book helpful for beginners nor for advanced software architects... Pick Gof book and "Design Patterns Explained". These two are great books. If you want design patterns in c#, go to this link, it's much more helpful than "design patterns in c# Workbook":
[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Agree totaly with previous review, 24 Jan 2006
I mistakenly bought this book in the hope that in addition to teaching me about design patterns it might teach me some more about C# coding with design patterns, however the code that is present is not useful at all.
Having read the book it has given me a basic understanding of the various Design Patterns, even if in a somewhat forced context, but I wish I had just purchased the original GoF book.

1.0 out of 5 stars An opportunity missed, 18 Oct 2008
N. Vicars-harris "nickvh" (Seattle) - See all my reviews
I feel the same as the other chaps here - i really wanted to love this book and the concept of pulling c# samples into the framework is a grand idea. But it was very disappointing, the firework model the author uses really doesnt work - i found myself spending more time trying to understand the reasons than the concepts. I also found methods missing which just broke a whole chapter (dont recall which). I also think the CLR/C# framework reduce the need in some cases (e.g Delegates) to worry as much about the relevant pattern.

Like i said - i wanted to love this book and now i want to throw it away - i'm definately expensing this one!

ARRAY(0xab49b744)

Design Patterns C# Workbook (Software Patterns)
Design Patterns C# Workbook (Software Patterns) by Steven John Metsker (Hardcover - 15 April 2004)
Used & New from: 6.08