Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 October 2013
I am very mixed up about this book... most other devs I know appear to have read the shortened version (I hear this means the bits in bold) and understand it perfectly. I find it hard to believe, as there's so much more information in the non-bold bits that to read just the bold bits would be totally misleading.
However, I find this book so hard to read at the same time. It's a great topic and all developers need to understand this modelling technique properly as this is the basis of the new age of software development. But it lacks analogies and a range of examples to better explain what he means, which means that he uses a very terse descriptive that is hard to process. I think several people should've written it and put in their experiences of the approaches they used and their experiences.
The first quarter of the book is particularly annoying as it talks about what you are about to learn all the time. I think he also means for it to be used as a reference, but it's far too verbose and waffly and not split up enough conceptually to be useful for that.
on 4 August 2006
I dont think I could possibly disagree with the previous review any more. This is, IMO, the best software design book I have ever read. It is certainably the one that has had the greatest effect on my software design.

The book is written superbly. Eric breaks down various parts of the domain into categories and describes what they are, their benefits and relation to the whole picture in a way that just makes sense. I have used the techniques and they simplify the design and make it possible to go straight to a domain expert and take software instead of having to talk 2 seperate languages.

I dont find the book hard to read at all, and im not overly educated. If you want an example of hard to read, GangOfFour; a fantastic book but not easy reading. This book is written well, full of experience and well worth a read.

100% recommended.
on 7 March 2010
This is a book with some great content, sadly "the delivery" makes it an extremely hard and boring read. As much as I would urge anyone involved in developing software to become familiar with DDD concepts, it has to be said that that book, which I expected to be "the bible" on the subject, fails to impress. It is full of repetition and to make things worse the language is not the easiest either.
on 28 April 2007
What can i say...this is a fantastic book. It's about getting back to basics and understanding what your trying to build and sharing a common language. The patterns described in the book are very helpful and i have already started to implement some of the recommendations.

Buy this book..it's worth it. If your worried about it being a length read, you can go to the domain driven design site and they have a concise version of the patterns to read. But I highly recommend that you get the book and read it from cover to cover.
on 19 November 2008
* Eric eloquently describes the software development environment. I wholly concur with his take that software should be "supple" and it's organic/evolutionary nature should allow for refactoring to facilitate the refinement of a software product.
* I wish more companies adopted this philosophy, instead of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it approach". I thoroughly agree with the refactoring approach as it leads to other breakthroughs and the simplification pays of dividends in the end in the maintenance cycle of a project.
* This book is complemented well by Martin Fowler Refactoring and Analysis Patterns books.
* If your are into Agile, Test Driven Development or Extreme Programming you will find this book gives you more "bang for your buck".
* There is a good blend of architectural concepts. I particularly found his discussion on the aggregate and specification patterns most enlightening and will be able to use them in future projects.
* I'd love to work with Eric on a project some day. This would be my idea of Nirvana! :)
on 9 June 2014
While it can be tough going in places it is well worth sticking with. Both developers and managers alike should take the time to get the grips with the concepts of DDD. A common domain language is one of the most essential concepts for a software house to have it's core. Couldn't recommend this book enough.
on 26 September 2006
If your doing, or thinking of doing DDD, then you should certainly read this book.

The writing style is excellent, the ideas are interesting, the persentation is superb and (most importantly) good examples are provided along the way.
on 9 February 2014
This book is giving me a new world in programming design, I will need time to digest all this and I think is very useful.I worth every cent
on 19 June 2014
As I read this book my heart sang. The writing is clear, subtle ideas are articulated well, and the entire book is packed with gems of outstanding quality and brilliance.

This book contains the best information about software design that I have ever encountered and also provides lots of guidance on how to make best use of the wealth of knowledge it contains.
on 31 March 2016
One of the best books on software development I have ever read along with the Vaughn Vernon one (Implementing Domain Driven Design). I think if I had to recommend just one book for someone to read in order to become better at software development, it would be one of these two.