5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating topic, fascinating book!
I am one of those guys who lay my hands on every marketing-related book I can lay my hands on. Okay, this is not strictly speaking a marketing book, but is essential reading for anyone in marketing.
Published on 14 Jun 2004 by Aj Viljoen

3.0 out of 5 stars plain.
my bosses friend recommended it. so had to buy it. i think both the boss and his friend seem to think too much of this book. it is just common sense. you might like it. i found it just a book, nothing new.
Published 3 months ago by peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating topic, fascinating book!, 14 Jun 2004
Aj Viljoen (Kuwait) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It would be more accurate to describe the topic of the book as social psychology, but the relevance to marketing becomes immediately apparent, because it examines the human nature which makes the compliance strategies of con artists so effective.
Cialdini selected the triggers he felt were the most important, and dedicated a chapter to each.
Robert Cialdini's work is brilliantly researched and he speaks as a true authority on the subject. His theories are clear and he backs up his statements with (sometimes astonishing) research findings. He writes well and his style is enjoyable.
The book is well laid out, and the findings are presented in a way which make them instantly usable.
Whether you are in marketing, or if you have ever been pressured into making a decision you later regretted, you will find this book really interesting and useful. I gladly recommend this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, powerful description of influence, 13 May 2002
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
In this book, Cialdini breaks down influence into six principles of human behaviour. Six triggers which are constantly being exploited, as you begin to notice as you read the book. Written in a casual style but convincingly argued, this book rests on a solid foundation of experimental evidence. Cannot recommend more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Influence and its power easily explained - scary!, 18 Jun 2001
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
An excellent book that turns customers into vulnerable targets and sales people into compliance specialists. This book is a must for anybody who courts influence. It has relevancy at all levels, from sales executives to hostage negotiators, in short, anybody who needs to make a person more compliant to their wishes. We think that we are immune to influence; 'we are ourselves', but infact Cialdini shows that nature has played its tricks, pre-disposing us to the power of compliance agents. Thankfully he explains good defense strategies... read it... digest it... then go and play with a car salesman... they'll hate you for it! Excellent read.... And it works!

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful aid and a keeper, 19 Mar 2006
J. P. Russell - See all my reviews
I consider this to be an excellent book. It is easy to read through and has practical application. Further it gets you to consider things from a different perspective.
What I really liked about this book is that helps you to recognize how you and others react to certain situations and stimuli. With that recognition you can sometimes take yourself out of certain manipulative situations. If you can't remove yourself from the situation at the time, then at least you have some basis for later analysis and improvement.
I can recommend this book for anyone, but business people may be more inclined to find it useful in their daily lives.
I occasionally refer back to the book to refresh my memory or see if I can figure out why a particular thing happened as it did.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book if you are in sales or marketing, 17 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This book is probably the best book I've read on communication skills and influence. The findings are based on scientific studies instead of the author's own opinions which give it credibility. Cialdini's work highlights the 7 key factors that influence human behaviour and illustrates not only how you can utilize these to improve your communication skills, but also how to protect yourself against someone who is attempting to manipulate you with them.
This book is an important book and is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading for the Intelligent Consumer, 28 May 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
The human mind is a wonderful thing, capable of the most wonderful thought processes and ideas. Yet the brain is on automatic pilot for most situations. That allows the conscious mind to really focus. The drawback is that some people will use our conscious inattention to sneak one by us, like a fastball pitch to a hitter looking for a change-up.
Influence, the book, is very useful in this regard, because it uses interesting examples to help us be aware of our own tendency to let automatic pilot thinking take over.
Since I first read this book many years ago, I have been watching to see if the circumstances I see support or invalidate Professor Cialdini's points. By a margin of about 9 to 1, Cialdini wins.
Given that we are easily manipulated by our desire to be and to appear to be consistent with our past actions and statements, swayed by what the crowd is doing, and various other mechanisms, the only way we can be armed against unscrupulous marketing is to be as aware of these factors are the marketers are.
At the same time, I appreciated how the book explores the ethics of when and how much to apply these principles. Without this discussion, the book would come off like Machiavelli's, The Prince, for marketing organizations. That would have been a shame. By dealing with the ethics, Professor Cialdini creates the opportunity to educate us intellectually and morally. Well done!
I have read literally dozens of books about marketing and selling, and I find this one to be the most helpful in thinking about how influence actually works. Even if you will never work in marketing, you will benefit from reading this book in order to better focus your purchases and actions where they fit your needs rather than someone else's.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books ever published on influence,, 23 Nov 2000
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
Influence, now in it's 4th edition, remains one of the most important books on persuasion and human compliance ever published. Based on over 20 years of scientific research into what causes one person to say yes to another Robert Cialdini describes the 6 universal principles of influence that, when applied in an ethical and structured way can make anyone more influential. Until recently knowledge of Cialdini's work has been mostly limited to the USA however he has recently licensed training workshops in the UK and Europe and these will do much to promote this very important and extremely interesting research. A must for anyone who wants to learn to become more influential and persuasive and a required text for salespeople and marketeers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shrewd investment., 9 Mar 2004
Mark Liversedge "markliversedge" (Cranleigh, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This book is frightening. The behaviours and responses we all share and how they can be manipulated or controlled are explained and then explored in an anecdotal style which is mostly engaging (although I did tire of it sometimes).
At times the subtle differences and nuances washed over me and the sections became "boring"... this book needs to be read more than once and certainly within different contexts or perhaps months or even years apart.
Great for budding Machiavelli's and sales or marketing types and handy for the rest of us -- it offers some defense mechanisms we can all employ...
Of course, by publicly endorsing this product in this review I have become more committed to it's success. Looks like I've broken one of the rules already!
I have witheld a star because it does "go on a bit" sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, nicely researched and readable, 11 April 2006
Amazon Customer "SoulFireMage" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm a beginner, relatively speaking, in NLP and related disciplines. I saw this on a recommended reading list (social proof?) and thought I'd read it. Glad I did, as I see the concepts he talks about in action constantly now. I personally know when a book was worth reading, when it's train of thought stays with me and reflects some of the world around me. This does just that.

The 6 principles come across as well researched, thoroughly tested and with enough academic rigour to satisfy most people's needs.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who is remotely involved in working with people in any way that requires any form of influence. Just being aware of these principles is in my opinion, valuable.

****2009 Update****
I've jettisoned the whole NLP thing as mostly unworkable, unwieldy and irrelevent. Good for some language and arguement tips if you want to split hairs perhaps. However this book has nothing in common with the NLP "cult" of self improvement and influence.

It's a solid piece of work, backed by decent, honest research and rigor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant and Essential Book, 27 Jun 2008
F. Boddy "WildInThePantry" (St Ives, Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Influence: Science and Practice (Paperback)
I'm not in marketing, but I found this book both fascinating and revealing. We were actually presented with a copy each on a "Communicating with Passion" course I went on, because it is so helpful in understanding human behaviour.

Not only does it allow the salesman/marketer to understand techniques on how to get people to do what you want, it also allows you, the "victim" to understand ways in which a salesman is trying to influence YOU, and this is what makes it such as good book. I can now spot attempts at invoking the principles of reciprocation, commitment, scarcity etc. at 100 paces.

Buy it - it will both entertain you and save you money and grief.

ARRAY(0xb280303c)

Influence: Science and Practice
Influence: Science and Practice by Robert B. Cialdini (Paperback - 29 Jun 2000)
Used & New from: 1.76