on 14 February 2014
Good quality (as to be expected from OS). Map of Britain is split over front and back of the sheet. Antiquities of different ages and site types are distinguished by various coloured and shaped markers. Extends from Palaeolithic to early Medieval. Gives a good overview and indication of archaeology of different regions, but of course it does omit many monuments - including some that are locally-significant. Perhaps the OS could republish a series of 'Ancient Britain' maps - focussing on i) Prehistory ii) Roman iii) early Medieval - for greater detailed coverage.
on 12 October 2014
Ah, this is NOT a historical map of ancient Britain. It is a modern road map with historical monuments on it. I expected it to have the relevant trackways and roads on it, relating to the time periods. It does not, apart from a very few, which are hard to discern. The time related colour coding is very useful, and for the uninitiated the information guides are useful. I am very lucky to have a 1962 (67 reprint) of the OS Iron Age map of southern Britain, which is so much better, and I wish there was one for northern Britain,and for different time periods. I might do it myself.
on 19 September 2012
There is something about stone circles and ancient monuments which makes us think long and hard about the eternal questions of why, what, when and how? This guide will not answer those questions but it will allow you to find those monuments in order to visit and ponder those questions. A clear, practical guide which does what is required and with some information about what you are looking for to boot.
on 11 May 2014
I'll start by saying I purchased this map for a purpose it was not intended for! The primary reason I bought this map for is to quickly look up grid references through out the whole of the U.K. The grid intervals are at 10km intervals so you can quickly determine a location down to that resolution and if required estimate to 1km. Yes you could fire up you're computer/tablet/phone and look it up or hunt through the overflowing maps drawer but I suspect this would take far longer. Secondly studying meteorology you often require a reference map with towns and cities but also coastline to understand some of the specifics of future weather phenomena. Weather maps don't usually have much location data. What I have found is that I have spent a great deal of time studying this map and its fascinating historical information. I am now planning my next U.K. holiday with all this in mind. Any way to sum up its great but I do wonder why Ordnance Survey don't publish as a plain modern map without the historic layers, it would in my opinion be very useful addition to their fantastic range of maps.
on 14 February 2012
This map is for planning where you are going and requires a big table. It is not suitable for finding directions while driving in the car. We are planning a trip to the UK later this year and want to see as much really old stuff as we can!! Very helpful.
on 12 April 2013
We're history buffs, we travel through the UK a lot and while we're on the road it's always interesting to us what we're passing. This and the companion Roman Britain map are our constant companions. They're large, so not easy to open in the car but that's what lay-bys and English Heritage car parks are for! If we're visiting a well-known site such as a spot along Hadrian's Wall, this map is handy for showing what else is around that's earlier and therefore not mentioned in the Roman guides.

Occasionally we like to just pick an area, and see what's there. This map gives not only a sense of place but also a sense of context, showing what else might be of interest in the area.

Don't leave home without it.
on 5 November 2013
I like these sort of maps, they pack a lot on to it, but obviously they can't get everything on it. We go camping to different parts of the UK and like to visit archaeological sites, so this will be useful when we go to a new place to see what Neolithic etc things are close by, if there are any.
on 27 July 2012
really good product, allows me to understand my areas local history and vist more exciting sites, I hope OS make more for diffrent periods soon
on 18 September 2013
Not a lot to say about a map. But OS ones are invariably the best detailed. I have found these fascinating in seeing how the country has changed over the years. The roads have changed, there are no motorways. I am a metal detecting and archaeology enthusiast and these maps help tremendously in working out where routes were in antiquity. These places are where crossroads used to be, markets could have been etc., and thus places where items were dropped for me to find later.
on 21 November 2014
its good - BUT tooooo BIG to open up in a car whilst your driving - so need a BIG TABLE to view it - so a BAD design fault!