5.0 out of 5 stars Love Old Stuff
This map is for planning where you are going and requires a big table. It is not suitable for finding directions while driving in the car. We are planning a trip to the UK later this year and want to see as much really old stuff as we can!! Very helpful.
Published on 14 Feb. 2012 by JudyMac

Published 8 months ago by doctor in the house

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Old Stuff, 14 Feb. 2012
JudyMac (New Zealand) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
Good quality (as to be expected from OS). Map of Britain is split over front and back of the sheet. Antiquities of different ages and site types are distinguished by various coloured and shaped markers. Extends from Palaeolithic to early Medieval. Gives a good overview and indication of archaeology of different regions, but of course it does omit many monuments - including some that are locally-significant. Perhaps the OS could republish a series of 'Ancient Britain' maps - focussing on i) Prehistory ii) Roman iii) early Medieval - for greater detailed coverage.

3.0 out of 5 stars The time related colour coding is very useful, and for the uninitiated the information guides are ..., 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
Ah, this is NOT a historical map of ancient Britain. It is a modern road map with historical monuments on it. I expected it to have the relevant trackways and roads on it, relating to the time periods. It does not, apart from a very few, which are hard to discern. The time related colour coding is very useful, and for the uninitiated the information guides are useful. I am very lucky to have a 1962 (67 reprint) of the OS Iron Age map of southern Britain, which is so much better, and I wish there was one for northern Britain,and for different time periods. I might do it myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good guide for us 'Ancient' buffs, 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
There is something about stone circles and ancient monuments which makes us think long and hard about the eternal questions of why, what, when and how? This guide will not answer those questions but it will allow you to find those monuments in order to visit and ponder those questions. A clear, practical guide which does what is required and with some information about what you are looking for to boot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Browse Factor!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
I'll start by saying I purchased this map for a purpose it was not intended for! The primary reason I bought this map for is to quickly look up grid references through out the whole of the U.K. The grid intervals are at 10km intervals so you can quickly determine a location down to that resolution and if required estimate to 1km. Yes you could fire up you're computer/tablet/phone and look it up or hunt through the overflowing maps drawer but I suspect this would take far longer. Secondly studying meteorology you often require a reference map with towns and cities but also coastline to understand some of the specifics of future weather phenomena. Weather maps don't usually have much location data. What I have found is that I have spent a great deal of time studying this map and its fascinating historical information. I am now planning my next U.K. holiday with all this in mind. Any way to sum up its great but I do wonder why Ordnance Survey don't publish as a plain modern map without the historic layers, it would in my opinion be very useful addition to their fantastic range of maps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good map, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
I like these sort of maps, they pack a lot on to it, but obviously they can't get everything on it. We go camping to different parts of the UK and like to visit archaeological sites, so this will be useful when we go to a new place to see what Neolithic etc things are close by, if there are any.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful :), 27 July 2012
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
really good product, allows me to understand my areas local history and vist more exciting sites, I hope OS make more for diffrent periods soon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent content, 12 April 2013
M Poole "The Tillerman" (The wilds of Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
We're history buffs, we travel through the UK a lot and while we're on the road it's always interesting to us what we're passing. This and the companion Roman Britain map are our constant companions. They're large, so not easy to open in the car but that's what lay-bys and English Heritage car parks are for! If we're visiting a well-known site such as a spot along Hadrian's Wall, this map is handy for showing what else is around that's earlier and therefore not mentioned in the Roman guides.

Occasionally we like to just pick an area, and see what's there. This map gives not only a sense of place but also a sense of context, showing what else might be of interest in the area.

Don't leave home without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great OS Map, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
Not a lot to say about a map. But OS ones are invariably the best detailed. I have found these fascinating in seeing how the country has changed over the years. The roads have changed, there are no motorways. I am a metal detecting and archaeology enthusiast and these maps help tremendously in working out where routes were in antiquity. These places are where crossroads used to be, markets could have been etc., and thus places where items were dropped for me to find later.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fold out map, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) (Map)
Good product but not what I had expected from the description of 'Guide' I thought it would be more of a booklet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide)
Ancient Britain (Historical Map and Guide) by Ordnance Survey (Map - 21 April 2011)