4.0 out of 5 stars an introduction to the art of map covers., 24 Mar. 2015
Steven M. Crago (poole dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Map Cover Art: A pictorial history of Ordnance Survey cover illustrations (Hardcover)
About 20 years ago I an Art student. As part of a term project I ended up at a car boot-fair, where as a casual buy I bought a pack of postcards which showed Map covers. I suspect at the time the intention was to use them, which thankfully I didn't. There were put away when I left the collage and moved out of the county. Jump forward to 2014 and as a nostalgic trip I dug out my old art collage stuff, which included the cards. Which led to me purchasing online the rest of the cards and finding the book for sale, this one. For me the benefit of this type of book is when it is used to spark an interest in finding out more. The book has a history of the maps, as well as the artists, which can be further researched, but mostly it has a selection of everyday maps and their covers across the decades. Some of these maps/covers can be relatively easy to collect, in charity shops or car boot-fairs(here in the UK anyway) as well as on the internet. As an introduction to the subject of Map cover Art, and the start of many hours map hunting, its well worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halcyon Days, 16 Feb. 2004
Thankyou for writing this wonderful book,i am a terrible romantic, who listens to the stories of grandparents idylic and simple childhoods spent on walks and cycling around Britain. The Map Cover Art book was found on a shelf in my college library, where i instantly fell in love with the past and wanted to paint the evocative 'halcyon days', just like Ellis Martin, in my evening class. I searched long and hard for your front cover map 'The Cotswolds' (relief map) 1931- Half inch England and Wales Special ed. OS District Map, with its rich warm colours, handsome hiker and views of Cleeve Hill in Gloucester. Alas i was not able to capture the painting by my own hand, however I gained the map for several pounds and is now under glass, proudly hanging on my wall.
Many congratualations it is a wonderful book
Racheal Sharman

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely illustrated book for map lovers., 17 Dec. 2010
Dark Paths "Dark Paths" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you like period graphic design, landscape art or nostalgia you will love this book. As a cartography fan, I was thrilled to discover it. A great gift for a friend, or keep it for yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 2 April 2011
Well written and researched. Some good illustrations of the story of the OS. The early covers were much better than the later ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Jun. 2015