5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly bizarre and frighteningly funny

1.0 out of 5 stars A short book that feels like a long one
Published on 2 Aug 2008 by lexo1941

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly bizarre and frighteningly funny, 9 Nov 2001
This review is from: The Lady Who Liked Clean Rest Rooms (Hardcover)
This is an absolutely thrilling journey around Donleavy's rampant imagination. One woman's lifestory which is enough in itself but there is a constant quest to find (and use) only clean restrooms. And where that leads her? Read the book and see. I could not put this book down, laughed until I cried and the ending - absolutely totally unexpected. I cannot reccomend this book highly enough. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant - but short!, 25 Mar 2001
J.P. still writes near his his best despite... (well how old is he, anyway!)
Certainly the pithiest Donleavy, I think, and that's saying something. Short and sweet - a brilliant one-night read. Leaves one less suicidal than some of his earlier work, however, which might disappoint some.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do leave is probably my favourite author, 22 Dec 2013
So the only problem I have with this book is that it isn't long enough. It rattles along like all Donleavy and remains irreverent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Lady Who Liked Clean Rest Rooms (Hardcover)
A beautifully crafted little story, the leading character quite different in essence from Donleavy's more usual ribald offerings, but nonetheless full of bittersweet observations. Not a long read, but most enjoyable. Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars A short book that feels like a long one, 2 Aug 2008
lexo1941 (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lady Who Liked Clean Rest Rooms (Hardcover)
Never having read J.P. Donleavy before, I needed something short and entertaining to read on a quick plane journey so I got this. I was interested to find out why the guy is so famous. I am still none the wiser. I am not easily defeated by a book, but the thing about comic novels is that they're supposed to be funny; this was just 'humorous', in that I could tell that Mr. Donleavy found the whole thing ever so rib-ticklingly amusing but he had not managed to communicate the point of it all to a mere reader like myself. A pointless fable about a woman with a supposedly-hilariously-long name, it has no apparent connection with reality; I dunno where Donleavy is getting this stuff from. The writing is incredibly stale and shoddy. The author seems to have a tin ear, with no sense of how to punctuate a sentence for comic effect, and the general impression is that it was written by someone trying to deal with a bad hangover. If you compare Donleavy's heavy jocularity to genuinely gifted comic writers like PG Wodehouse or even Douglas Adams, they are figure skaters and he's a brontosaurus.

I ended up not being able to finish it; even the inflight magazine was more fun. I regretted wasting my money on an apparent vanity project by an obviously burned-out writer. I am still mildly curious to see why he got to be famous in the first place, but not very much so.

The Lady Who Liked Clean Rest Rooms
The Lady Who Liked Clean Rest Rooms by J. P. Donleavy (Hardcover - 6 Mar 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01