5.0 out of 5 stars AN INTOXICATING VISIT TO A STORIED LAND
While the allure of a foreign land is a subject often plumbed by such attractive sojourners as Peter Mayle (A Year In Provence) and Frances Mayes (Under The Tuscan Sun), British writer/actress Carol Drinkwater offers refreshingly original musings on her love affair with southern France. She is particularly drawn to a tumble-down villa built in 1904; it is called...
Published on 16 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A telling tale of a new life in the south of France
I enjoyed this book in a a way I wasn't expecting to. True it's been done many many times before but here we have an author who is not afraid to admit her weaknesses as well as her strengths. Although it is written in a completely different way to Lisa St Aubin de Teran's Valley in Italy it reminded me of this book. Both authors share the same amount of modesty and do not...
Published on 26 Dec 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshes the soul, 18 July 2014
The book embraces our own deeper needs to connect with creation create something worthwhile and learn trust in love and god
It does so with charm honesty and grace and a recognition that we cannot do anything on our own but need to reach out and humbly and gratefully accept the help of others
I could feel I was there my senses attuned to the sights and smells of appasionata

4.0 out of 5 stars Intoxicating, enchanting and a jolly nice read...., 2 Jan 2002
I'd just finished "Driving Over Lemons" and
"Extra Virgin" so wasnt sure if I was ready for
another "feel good in the Med" type book...but
I didnt hardly put it down over Xmas...
I was there in the overgrown pool, I felt the
warmth of the Cote d'Azur sun and could taste the
freshly baked bread drizzled with the even fresher
olive oil.... It took me far away from the dreariness and usual rituals of Xmas, to an area
rich in history, culture and a romantic hidden house just waiting to be rediscovered and loved.
It certainly appealed to me and I too, would like to see a sequel and perhaps a few photos of Michel, the dogs and the allure of Appassionata...
Is the little cottage in the grounds available as a holiday-let ??!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant insight to living in France, 17 July 2014
A friend recommended this book and right from the beginning I have loved it. My husband and I are thinking of buying in Brittany and this book even though is based no where near to where we are thinking of going has whetted my appetite. Have already downloaded the next one and am ready to enjoy Carol 's next adventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars addictive, 14 Jun 2014
Happened by chance to buy this whilst on holiday in the provence. I love the series. 1 womans srruggles to renovate a delapidated olive farm on little money, living 2 diferent lives. Have already read the olive harvest and the olive season. Would highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Transported, 21 May 2014
A wonderful moment in time. Captured with humour. The hopes and fears of Appassionata are laid bare. Well done Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read., 11 May 2014
Fantastically descriptive book about rural France. Beautifully written....you feel as if you are there.!! Can't wait to read the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Love., 7 May 2014
I felt as if I were there enjoying the sights,sounds, smells of that part of the world. Living the life as it were. The descriptions of every stage of renovation would resonate with anyone who had done a similar thing, anywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars The olive farm, 5 May 2014
Don' t very often review books, but on this occasion I felt I really had to express how much I enjoyed this book.
From beginning to end it's totally absorbing and you really get a sense of being there,the warmth, beautiful scenery, local characters.
Definitely going to purchase the next in the series.
Sooey

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly lovely book, 1 May 2014
Knowing the author for her acting rather than her writing, I was surprised and impressed by the quality of this. It is a wonderful, lyrical evocation of the Alpes Maritimes and the neglected olive farm which she and her partner fall in love with and restore to health. But it is also much more than this: the author shares her roller coaster emotions, hopes and sufferings and all of it seems so genuine and honest that you end up really involved and caring. Beautifully written too! Definitely one of the best written books of this genre recounting northerners' moves to the sun...even if you are not interested in such stories, this one will win you over!

4.0 out of 5 stars A tasty tale about olives, 23 April 2014
Carol Drinkwater is an excellent descriptive writer. Her depictions of the countryside in Provence are without doubt an excellent advert for that part of the world and also of the French way of life away from the beaches and slopes. The history and cultivation of olives was equally fascinating and we'll

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Olive Farm: A memoir of life, love and olive oil
The Olive Farm: A memoir of life, love and olive oil by Carol Drinkwater (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01