5.0 out of 5 stars Any age, any fitness level, this is the book for you!
Published on 8 Jan 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed...
Let's be straight about something -- Sir Ranulph Fiennes is a remarkable man and is a national treasure. If any of us could accomplish 1/10th of what he has, then we could consider our lives well lived indeed.

Published on 4 Oct 2006 by Rufus Firefly

5.0 out of 5 stars Any age, any fitness level, this is the book for you!, 8 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ranulph Fiennes: Fit For Life (Reach Your Personal Best - And Stay There) (Paperback)
I was 16 when I first read this book, I'm now 18 and still use the programmes. I hope to run a Marathon either this or next year. My mum read it and has lost 2 stone!!! Whatever you goal, weight loss, to build muscle, to be able to run marathons, or just to live a little longer and more healthily; this book will have advice and a programme for you to follow to get exactly what you want, if you are prepared to give up some time for exercise and re-stock the fridge! May I also recommend you check out some of Ranulph Fiennes novels, may sound like I'm working for him or something but I feel like I owe him something, thanks to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sceptic won over by this excellent book, 12 July 2002
By A Customer
I approached this book with some scepticism because of the vast number of badly written self help books, diet books and fitness books on the market. I am in my early forties and (like many)prone to putting on weight, but I have used gyms, trained and been interested in fitness training for many years, having read many books on the subject. I thought this book would be the equivalent of an anectodal after-dinner speech by the great celebrity explorer, with a bit of fitness and advice thrown in for good measure. To my surprise and continuing pleasure, I could not have been more wrong.
I have never read a book on this subject which combines so much practical advice with such readability and sheer interest. Unlike one reviewer, I do find myself dipping into it - there is so much information in it I feel I come away each time with an interesting snippet or at least a refreshing slant on a familiar topic.
The style is very readable - Fiennes gives it to you straight, and cuts to the chase, with little of the woolly rubbish included in many other "lifestyle" manuals. He is especially good on motivation (I suppose to be expected from someone who had to motivate himself to some fairly hefty achievements).
The chapter on the benefits of being fit is excellent, as are the sections on general food control. This is a very realistic book...
I think the system he sets out (for both exercise and food control) is very good indeed. He acknowledges that relapses are normal, and advises that as long as you know what you are doing and do it whenever you can, your fitness level will increase accordingly. Sound advice for those prone to fits of depression at the scale of the task facing them.
I would recommend this book to just about anyone, from couch potatoes who find motivation difficult to fit athletes who want to move into ultra endurance events, from those who simply want to eat more healthily to those who want to prepare their bodies for Antarctic expeditons (Fiennes, in his fifties, is also alive to the fitness requirements of older persons). I was extremely surprised at how non-elitist and universal it is. It is also interesting and not a little inspiring to read about Fiennes' own experience, which is illustrative and informative rather than an intrusive part of this excellent book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed..., 4 Oct 2006
Rufus Firefly (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

It is a shame, then, that I found this particular title so underwhelming. I purchased it on the back of the plethora of five star reviews on Amazon, but must confess to feeling slightly misled.

A lot of reviewers trumpet the motivational aspects of this book. Perhaps I'm becoming less perceptive over the years, but I saw no motivation of value. If anything, Fiennes comes across as a scaremonger and somewhat elitist; as another review pointed out, there is enough finger-pointing towards our imminent ills, ailments, diseases, inferior genetics and death that I almost wanted to give up the reading halfway through.

Then there is the practical stuff. I found his "Food Control" method disorganised, unclear and a touch dodgy (skipping breakfast anyone?). There are no set meal plans, but rather a long list of foods with a potted biography of each one. You will know what to stock your kitchen with, but do not expect to learn how to put together a dietary plan. I also did a bit of digging online, and found a review where Fiennes confessed that he didn't actually follow the nutritional guidelines he laid out in the book; to say I found it a touch hypocritical is an understatement. I mean, the guy has accomplished some remarkable physical feats, so why not be upfront about what he *really* does.

The exercise section is fairly bloated and uneven. Most of Fiennes' emphasis is on aerobic training, particularly walking and running. The strength training chapters seem to be spread thin, with set exercises, set repetitions, set weights, and no real program of how to progress. It is also worth noting that you won't get tailored plans for fat loss, a muscular body or anything like that. I have seen *much* better manuals around (and have had great results from them).

Meh. There is more that I could write, but I think it is unnecessary. The general gist is already within the review. Fiennes is an outstanding individual, but this is a second-rate book in the tough fitness genre. To be fair, the fitness genre is a hard art to master; it is so packed with niches and nuances that it is impossible to do an effective all-in-one fitness manual.

Fit For Life could have done with a sterner editing job and a more streamlined vision of goals, and a bit more candour and a bit less preaching from Fiennes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for those who want some useful advice, 10 Jan 2004
Zorba "Zarbos" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this book a number of years ago. I had been advised to give up playing squash by a cardiologist (he said as I was past 30 that 'squash is a dead mans game' ) I wanted to develop my fitness levels and having been a social squash player I was starting from quite low base. The book takes you through a wide range of issues on fitness including diet and other factors. It helps you identify what you want to do; be it the gym, swimming, cycling, walking etc and provides clear and understandable guidance on how to set and realise achievable goals and then take them beyond if you wish to do so. I would recommend it to anyone interested in reviewing a fitness routine, or their attitude to health in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pithy and informative, 8 Jan 2003
By A Customer
Sir Ranulph's volume will appeal to all people who fall outside the Donny Osmondesque gym instructor books and the legion of Rosemary Conley type videos . If like me, anybody has interests in militaria, orienteering or outdoor pursuits then prancing round the lounge in a pink leotard in front of the DVD is all very embarrassing. The book is very informative and I really liked the 'to the point' style with info boxes listing foods to buy and which to ban. Fiennes stands like a rather menacing SAS doorman on the entrance to your pantry door-prohibiting substances which, he goes on to relate, can lead to all kinds of medical problems. This is not exactly a catalogue of exercise routines-though you will find photographic plates which cover the basics -it is a signpost to a more regimented and controlled phase of living which many thirty & forthy-somethings coming off the decadent 1990s will appreciate. It is in short a first class guide to organising food consumption and establishing fit living.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice and a some nonsense, 22 April 2005
Uneken Dan (Jerez, Spain) - See all my reviews
A truly inspirational man, mr. Ranulph Fiennes. He does all that I would love to do. How does he do it? A life replete with physical hardship, exercise and of course the mental strength to endure it all. Very important in all this is the diet that one adheres to. Except that the diet described in the book is one plainly discouraged by professional dieticians for its lack of scientific basis and its extremely low chance of success.
As far as I have been able to establsh, the rest of the advice in the book is sound, so we'll have to pardon mr. Fiennes his petty fad diet. It works for him, that's for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for life, 20 Oct 2010
Having 'hit a wall' in regards to my own fitness regime, I thought I would give this book a try. It's very down to earth and plain talking. Easy to follow in regards to the diet tips and training regimes.
By following the diet regime for a week, whilst I planned my fitness routines around Ranulphs guidelines I managed to shed a few pounds already!
Its as good for beginners as it is for experts, as it has routines for the very novice runner/trainer and also for those planning round the world mountain running, with the odd desert marathon in between!
I am now motivated and at the start of my new routine. With races planned from now (Oct) until the middle of next year I have plenty to look forward to as they all lead up to training for a big endurance event for the summer.
What's also good in the book is his advice on how to keep your body right for your chosen sport, by stretching right and doing the correct exercises to prevent injuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 Jun 2014
Does exactly what it says on the tin (you could say) but whether I can stick to it is probably another matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for life, 10 Jan 2014
J. Wilkinson - See all my reviews
I have had this book for years. It is awesome in every respect. The best advice for motivation - Stand Up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for life, 27 Nov 2013
Very well written and very simple and practical in it's approach to getting fit and being fit . Good work .

Ranulph Fiennes: Fit For Life (Reach Your Personal Best - And Stay There)
Ranulph Fiennes: Fit For Life (Reach Your Personal Best - And Stay There) by Sir Ranulph Fiennes Bt OBE (Paperback - 4 Nov 1999)
14.99