5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money many times over
There are many bits of advice in this book that can change your day from being one where you want to sit in a corner weeping to one where you think that bringing children up isn't really that hard. The advice includes making sure mealtimes are not a battle of wills, such as threatening that there will be no pudding unless your child eats its main course. Another good one...
Published on 17 Oct 2004 by D. A. Mclauchlan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I'm a big fan of the baby book, and I have to say I was really disappointed when I read this one. It's like it's written for people who can't think for themselves. The advice and explanations given in this book were things I take for granted that all parents understand. Either that or I'm a perfect mother- (and I know I'm not.) Buy something else instead- unless you...
Published on 15 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars It was somewhat useful, but not a cure-all., 27 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Discipline Book (Paperback)
I found some of the suggestions useful. For example I was able to minimize getting into the yelling/spanking routine. Others (most) were idealstic and unrealistic. For example, for most situations the authors suggest talking calmly and gently to your child but I that is impossible when a toddler is screaming at the top of his lungs for 30 minutes and can't even hear anything being said! I found that some guidelines were too permissive for our family. I disagree with their advice to apologize to your children when you get angry-it makes parents look weak and out of control. I also think this book could leave some parents feeling inadequate because no parent is calm and rational 100% of the time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 24 May 2007
This review is from: The Discipline Book (Paperback)
A lot of stuff in this book I liked. I do however think Sears is relatively mainstream, compared to the books I usually read. What struck me in a negative way is that he actually talks about spanking in the book. Of course not in a positive way, more like, if you feel you need to do it do it .... and I would have prefered a not at all approach to it.

The Discipline Book
The Discipline Book by Martha Sears (Paperback - 15 Mar 2004)
Used & New from: £0.38