5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Sears is as sound as a pound!
Published on 17 Feb 2002 by Mary Barnard

3.0 out of 5 stars The attachment parenting
I like the idea of attachment parenting and I would like to think that I am following it. However, this book seems far removed from my day to day life and I find some things helpful but others quite unrealistic.
Published on 24 Sep 2011 by Lovely M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Sears is as sound as a pound!, 17 Feb 2002
Mary Barnard (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Attachment Parenting Book (Sears Parenting Library) (Paperback)
Forget your conventional baby manuals by Dr.Spock and the like. Send Gina Ford packing, and sack that nanny who knows best. Babies on schedules who are required to be 'convenient' are liberated! This book will reassure you in every way about following your intuition and your instincts. It doesn't just present one model for babycare, but describes a flexible world where baby's needs come first. We are so out of touch with these, that parents today have lost the art of breastfeeding in their sleep, or doing housework with a baby in a sling. But do not worry, the Sears will guide you through these skills and more, and make it all sound perfectly normal, healthy and achievable. Unlike many childcare gurus, the Sears eat humble pie as they tell how they came to fully appreciate the importance of attachment parenting after having four of their own eight babies. Their anecdotes are reassuring as you wonder how on earth to be 'attached' and get dinner on the table for 6pm. But the Sears are very accommodating and reach out to the working mothers, the adoptive parents and the 'burnt-out' parents in their readership.
The book is magaziney in style, with columns that jump all over the place, such that as you turn the page it can be hard to know where to continue reading. The multitude of subheadings and quotes add to this, so I wouldn't recommend it to the highbrow academic. But the authors must know that most reading for new parents is done in snatches here and there, rather than long cover to cover stints. Buy this for baby-shower presents, and for new parents. We do not have a rounded enough view of babycare without more of this type of baby manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This book is wonderful - full of sensitive caring advice from people who not only are parents (of 8 no less!!), but also have medical training to boot. This is the way everyone would parent if it were not for the flood of manuals from the 'baby trainers' which have left many parents scared to follow their instincts and others thinking it's okay to force babies into unnatural routines.
When our daughter was born I knew crying it out, scheduled feeding and other such nonsense didn't feel right but was losing faith when I repeatedly got the "rod for your own back" comments. I didn't know about Attachment Parenting or the Sears. This book was recommended to me and I found it so refreshing. Finally some parenting advice that is baby-centred instead of parent-centred. It's nothing new but it really makes sense. This back to basics approach is the way babies are raised in so many parts of the world.
So if you think babies need to be nurtured through affection and not trained to be quiet, complient, convenient members of the family then this book is for you. In fact all books in the Sears Parenting Library should be required reading for all parents and parents to be. Buy them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Bible' of baby books!, 19 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This book has been my saving grace!
I owe so much of mine and my baby's happiness to these people! If you think i'm being over-dramatic buy this book, read it, and do for your children what they deserve. Raise them with respect, empathy and love - isn't that what every parent should do? Forget Gina Ford - and the rest of the 'baby trainers' and let yourself enjoy raising your baby. Everyone we meet comments on how contented and happy our little girl is - and she is. She is 5 months old, still soley breastfed and thriving. Even the health-visitors can't believe it. If i hadn't discovered these books then i dread to think what might have happened - i probably would have followed the advice of the likes of Gina Ford and destroyed my relationship with my little girl.
The techniques in this book - the 'Baby B's' as they are so called are wonderful. Breastfeeding, babywearing (putting baby in a sling), bonding, believing in baby's cries and bedding close to baby are advocated but you are not made to feel like a failure if you cannot perform all of them.
The books of the Sears Parenting Library truly are excellent. I have read all of them - and believe they should sit on the bookshelf and liberate the mind of every parent. By following these parenting practices i have full faith that we will be raising responsible, successful and compasionnate children who really understand love, emotions and caring for others. Isn't that what every parent wants for their child?

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows a great empathy for children, 18 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This book has a lot of sound advice. The approach is basically to show your babies a great deal of empathy in the early months and even in the first few years. The values proposed are well evidenced and simply feel right to raise well adjusted connected and understanding children. Thankfully this book doesn't have much padding either. I would definitely recommend it to new parents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good support for worried mums., 30 May 2012
If you are surrounded by people who keep telling you that you are spoiling your baby, that you are holding them too much, that it is healthy for them to exercise their lungs by crying and other such annoying or old fashioned advice then this is a good book for you, especially if you are a first time mum who wants to follow their instincts and believe that what a young baby wants is what they need. Gives the confidence and some scientific back up to throw in people's faces when you reach the point that you can no longer smile and say thank you for your opinion, then totally ignore it!!! Four stars purely because some of the facts and advice is just obvious!!

5.0 out of 5 stars gives you the confidence to parent naturally, 21 Sep 2011
Loved this book. My first babies, twins, were 5 months old when I read this. Before that I was lost and confused between advice from mother in law, to the baby whisperer and everything in-between. This book gave me the confidence to parent from the heart and really got me and my husband talking around what was best for the family and not just "what everyone else does" or "what you are supposed to do". I don't know where i would be without this book. I only wish I had read it sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 19 Oct 2011
Loved this book! A lot of it is common sense but it is nice to know that my personal choice of parenting is backed up by proffesionals!I think that reading this book gives you the confidence to trust your instincts. I feel better for reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU ARE NOT WEIRD!!, 5 Jun 2007
Ms. April Cross "crossar" (Ayr, UK) - See all my reviews
If you think it feels 'wrong' to let your baby cry, if you want to hold and bond with your baby as much as you can, if you want to breastfeed for as long as you can and if you want to sleep in the same bed with your baby. In fact, Dr. Sears helps you to see that you are doing what is best for your baby-- it's everyone else who's weird!! Don't listen to all the rubbish about spoiling your baby etc and use your instincts!

I will be buying this book for every first-time mum I meet from now on...!

3.0 out of 5 stars The attachment parenting, 24 Sep 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Sure it's the best approach to parenting, but do you really need the book?, 17 Jun 2008
L. Greenstein (UK) - See all my reviews
It's so ironic: attachment parenting has been around for thousands of years, but because modern parenting practice has screwed things up so royally, we now need to be redirected towards simple truths like: hold your baby, carry your baby, breastfeed your baby. (As opposed to: push your baby around in a pram, make them a separate bedroom or nursery, and feed them formula from a variety of heavily marketed bottles and other paraphernalia). So the Sears' approach is hardly rocket science, yet it's heralded as revolutionary.

The thing is, by the time you've heard the words "attachment parenting", you've probably come across the seven principles of this book. Even if you haven't, you can gather them by reading the back cover copy. This book is primarily for people that have really lost touch with their own intuitive understanding about parenting, and need a book to tell them what they already knew. Indeed, reading the other reviews on this site, it's obvious that the people who loved the book are those who say things like "it gave me the confidence to trust my own intuitions"; "confirmed all my ideas" etc. I prefer to buy books to teach me things I didn't already know, not confirm what I already did.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa637d1b0)

The Attachment Parenting Book (Sears Parenting Library)
The Attachment Parenting Book (Sears Parenting Library) by Martha Sears (Paperback - 25 Dec 2001)
8.52