5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams are made of this.........
Published on 18 April 2007 by A Stagg

2.0 out of 5 stars Dream on...
Let me say - and Ted, if you are reading this; please remember - I loved your first Motorcycling book 'Jupiter's Travels'.
I recommended it to many people, (my wife included) who loved it, and I have promoted that book to many other people who have also enjoyed it.
Published on 16 Mar. 2010 by S. Ward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams are made of this........., 18 April 2007
A Stagg "ADST" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Hardcover)
As with the original Jupiters Travels extremely well written,this extraordinary book is imaginative, thought provoking and inspiring to any reader not just lonely adventure bikers. Reading the two books gives a great comparison of the developing world and reflects on the population expansion issues of our greedy western civilisation whilst from a biker angle reads with continual interest ..Well recommended ..you need never have worn leathers, dropped a bike or stripped an engine to enjoy! but you will need to have been in love at least once in your life to understand some of the deeper moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable journey by a remarkable man, 21 Feb. 2008
E. M. Walker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
Ted Simon is a very remarkable man and, in his 70's, to undertake a 59,000 mile motorcycle journey visiting 47 countries is little short of astonishing.
And he did all this without back up teams of people to support him or arrange his visas or anything else, but on his own.
However, it is a very different book to Jupiter's Travels.
I think this is possibly explained by Ted himself in chapter 27 -'It seemed to me impossible to say anything upbeat and optimistic about the changes I had seen'.
Whilst Jupiter's Travels was full of optimism - indeed Ted describes himself seeing 'in the world of the seventies a kind of innocence' - the world of the new millenium is rather less so. Vastly improved communication has destroyed the innocence. The immolation of the twin towers, and America's reaction to it, has created a very different world.
So Dreaming of Jupiter is not an optimistic book, but may well give you much food for thought.
The good news is that Ted is an optimist himself, because only an optimist could have undertaken this journey, not once, but twice.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars first few chapters depressing but then full of richness, 13 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
I nearly put this book down in the first 80 pages-Ted Simons finds anti-climax at every corner-people he met in the 70s have gone-the world seems full of litter and is now built up where once was paradise. However I began to realise that his honesty is part of the author's strength . He equally describes the beauty of Africa-the thrill of the high Andes , the stunning Australian outback and the kindness of strangers.We are left with an impression that it is still a wonderful world out there but it needs protecting.When I look back at Jupiter's travels he also describes misery filth and poverty amongst beauty .Why did that not affect me in the same way when I first read it? It probably did .We look back at Jupiter's travels through rose tinted glasses and I'm sure we will do the same with this book.It is a classic which took me from my hammock in the garden to the wild high places of the world and gently back again-Well worth reading

5.0 out of 5 stars dreaming of jupiter, 8 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
another great read from TED SIMON,retracing his journey from JUPITER'S TRAVELS.this time he rides a BMW not a TRIUMPH, i thought that perhaps he would have retraced the trip on a modern TRIUMPH?.still this is another great boy's own adventure in the company of ted.the sort of trip most of us only dream of doing.recommended reading for any biker.another book i would recommend for biker's is OLD MAN ON A BIKE by simon gandolfi, a great read,also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different man, different book another good read, 21 Oct. 2009
A. Notghi (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
Reading "Jupiter's travels" first is a must. These are two books with different men travelling different worlds. Proves world is changing fast, but not necessarily for the worst unless you expect no change. For an aging biker (me) it shows age is not a barrier for adventure, but beware as you get older the view of world may be more pessimistic (avoidable?). Another good read from Ted, but a more sombre one. Looking forward for another one from him!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dad is a biker ......, 29 Mar. 2010
Lynlinrac "Lyn" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
Bought this for a present for my Dad - he read Jupiter's Travels some years ago - and he enjoyed this follow up ....... said he will have to read Jupiter's Travels again now though to refresh his memory ...... Dad is 77 and retired from riding at 66 after a serious crash (with my Mum riding pillion!) ........ he still loves bikes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Return journey, 19 Aug. 2012
Motty (Teddington middx) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
A great follow up from Teds first motorcycle adventure Jupiters Travels. An epic feat of older man and newer machine. Ted Simon seems to be indestructible and re-visits the past at a time when most of us would be choosing a headstone. His writing style changes a little and if anything is better, making it an obsorbing easy to read book. Re-tracing our past can be a mixed roller coaster of emotions and indeed this fact is revealed here. Things are rarely what they used to be but mostly the changes appear for the better.
Once again Ted gives only snippets of his life outside the trip keeping our curiosity raw.a truly original thinker and writer with strong humanitarian values. Can we have an auto- biography Ted? Other books are in my previous reviews and I thoroughly recommend the following. The Old GloryThe Riddle of the Sands

2.0 out of 5 stars Dream on..., 16 Mar. 2010
S. Ward (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
So, after enjoying reading the first book so much I was really excited about buying 'Draming of Jupiter' and reading it.

Big mistake. But, let me tell you why..

For those with a short attention span, who want a quick answer to `should I buy this book?' the answer is:
"only if you enjoy listening to the irritating moaning of a grumpy old Englishman on a repeat journey around the world to see if he is as important and famous as he thinks he might be, only to find out the answer is no".

To expand slightly, Ted brings us all on a literary ride where he visits all the places he went to 30 years or so ago and (in summary) reports that everything is essentially worse off and (surprise, surprise) is not as good as it was `back in his day', as judged from the lofty heights of the typical English post-colonial in-built superiority that views any country or person that isn't English with (mostly unconscious and well-meaning) condescension, ridicule and light pity. All the while attempting to cover this with a thin veil of being a `man of the world' and `curious and open to all cultures' while (almost without fail) criticising or disapproving of each one he encounters. It's a non-stop litany of whinges. He attempts all along to mask his innate grumpy-old-man nature with occasional self-deprecation and modesty but sadly it never quite covers the painful reality of the all-too-apparent subtext. It becomes so obvious that Ted's vision of how important and influential he is in the world, crashes head-on with the reality that ultimately he isn't really. No more than the rest of us anyway. Even with the god-like power of writing his own book he fails to mask the fact that the world turned without him and that he's now just an old guy that wrote a good book once about an adventure he had, but now is a bit too old and a bit too grumpy to enjoy any of that anymore. I kept myself entertained with the thought of how many instances he left out of the book involving him wandering into a place and saying "Hi, I'm Ted Simon". (silence). "I'm a pretty big deal in the motorcycling world you know". (Blank stare, shrug).

Now the really disappointing thing about it all is that he kind of gives a nod to his age and the challenges of the trip ahead etc at the start which leads you into a false sense of hope that somehow he is saying this to play on your expectations, set you up before amazingly turning it all around to reveal a transcendently stunning piece of insight into the nature of ageing and travel and the things that join people together. Sadly it turns out to be more of a prophecy for how the book unfolds. The digested read is as follows:

"I recognise that I am an old man about to undertake a difficult repeat journey retracing my steps to see if I am important or not, that may turn out to be fruitless.. so here we go. Oh, I'm not all that important actually.. it was fruitless. The end".

If that's your cup of tea - fantastic. Go right ahead an buy it, be my guest. For the rest of you, just do what Ted Simon should have done all along : re-read Jupiter's Travels and re-live the magic, rather than desecrate the memory.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a dream .., 23 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
I ordered this book before I had finished the first one - I was enjoying the first one so much. I did not enjoy this one- perhaps because I read it immediately on finishing his first book. Clearly alot had happened to Ted in the intervening years - not least the fact that he was now 70. The contrast to the first book is not necessarily that the world has changed so much but that Ted has.
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy his perspective in this book, I can get similar perspectives from talking to certain "senior" people about the good old days, the world's not what it was etc and whilst I don't necessarily want an unrelenting positive perspective the world has changed for the better in a number of the countries he visits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of Jupiter, 16 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Dreaming Of Jupiter (Paperback)
If you have read Ted Simon's original book, Jupiters Travels, and enjoyed it, you must read this. His experiences of travelling his old path are eye opening, particularly as the events of 9/11 happen while he is on the road. It is amazing that despite his age and the time that has passed since his first trip, he still meets up with many of the characters that he lists in Jupiters Travels. Motorcyclists will be surprised by the difference to his journey that the change to the BMW has made for this second journey. A 'must read' for motorcycle adventurers whether real or armchair.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dreaming Of Jupiter
Dreaming Of Jupiter by Ted Simon (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 2007)