5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !, 15 Dec. 2006
Capt I. McRae "The Ancient Mariner" (Angus, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
What an awesome book, recording an awesome experience. As a biker myself, I was attracted to the book just to read about a trip that is beyond my means and abilities, but the book ended up meaning much more than that to me. It showed me, yet again, that wherever you go in the world (And I've travelled a fair bit of it myself in my work as a seafarer !) people everywhere are just people like you and I, when you get past the religious, political and economic differences that can so often divide us. It also highlights the fact that people who make a living in the film industry are not necessarily unapproachable, self centred and addicted to adulation. They can be warm, human and prone to the same joys, fears and desires as the rest of us. In short, they are human beings who just happen to have a good job. This is not just a good read about a motor bike trip of a lifetime, it is a book that rekindles hope that the world, and its varied people, is a beautiful place after all, and not half as dangerous as some would have us believe. Whether you're a biker, an armchair traveller or just someone looking for an exciting and inspiring read, then this book is for you. I can't praise it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest and Enjoyable, 12 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I recently bought this book half way through watching Charley and Ewan's doc' here in Australia only because we are going to miss two episodes of the programme whilst away. I am not a follower of either career.
So far I have to say I am really impressed with the book, it remains true to the programme, I feel handles the initial problems esp. with the KTM factory better than the programme itself! (I am an ex KTM owner so understand Charley's thoughts -BMW's like bottoms, everyone seems to have one! (Sorry Ewan and BMW).
I am pleased that the authors appear to be honest with the reader with their respective and sometimes opposing feelings, and it doesn't seem to have been glossed over by a publicity dept looking to promote either career (but probably hasn't hurt either).
I enjoy reading travel books, am not well travelled myself through Europe, but through Aust and New Zealand. This book (so far) has taken me with the guys, and I am thoroughly enjoying it for the (sometimes mis) adventure that it is.
Well done guys - but remember, the world doesn't begin and end with Europe and America, there is a lot more of it out there - look forward to book no. 2 where you include the rest of the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 27 April 2006
T. Hammond (Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I missed the first two episodes when the series first aired, so I bought the book to see what I had missed. The book is even better than the show (though that seems impossible)! The story is more in depth and more personal. You get to read what Charley and Ewan are thinking and feeling during this amazing trip. A must for anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a journey, 28 Jun. 2011
Sean Parry (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I read this book quickly in just under 6 hours and I just couldn't put it down. It's not just an amazing story with faces we know and love, but it's the humanity that kept me gripped. The stress of organisation, the emotion of leaving, the battle of endurance and then the jubilation of completion. I read it just like a friend would be telling me a story and I just couldn't get enough.
This illustrated version has some pretty amazing photos in there and adds to whole human / friend aspect of the story. It's also intriguing to see what the conditions were actually like. At some point your imagination otherwise is either too weak or too imaginative to do the story justice.

Overall, a must for any biker, any lover of conversation or anyone thinking of taking a trip with a friend themselves. Thoroughly enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read....., 27 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I have always admired anyone who takes on a mission and sees it through, and for these guys to motorbike around the world is truley amazing. I'm a keen reader of these books and love to read about adventures as hard core as this one. There is plenty of action and funny moments and sweat and tears. I'm sure for ewan its a differnt kind of buzz from his acting. I try hard to block out the thought that they had a back-up crew with them and the trip was heavy planned, unlike the Raven brothers' road trip to Vladivostok in an old £300 Sierra called 'The Linger Longer'. Over all it's thumbs up and i have already pre ordered their next book in Africa. Looking forward to seeing the TV series, too. Well done guys, what's next?

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever, 2 Dec. 2006
SwissJon (Sion, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I've just put this book down after reading it to the last pages, I even read the packing details in the back cover just to try to make the book last a little longer. All I can say is buy it.. It's something you'll enjoy, I know I did, and I'm a little sad I've finished it.. I guess I'll just have to start at page 1 again! Don't buy this book if you're stuffy, boring and like your creature comforts, you'll hate it, this is a book for people who want to have their eyes opened to this world around us and are willing to look, you don't even need to be a petrol head, Ewan and Charley are genuinely affectionate towards the people they meet on their journey.. I loved this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long Way Round, 10 Feb. 2008
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I found this to be a good account of their round the world bike trip, but also found it a little repetitive, virtually every chapter has a 'he said and I said and then he said' feel about it, which is a shame. It seems like a great adventure and the TV series showed that aspect really well, the book on the other hand is a little dry. Worth it if you're a big fan of the series, other wise you can give it a miss and not worry too much.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars but I wanted more..., 7 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
I just finished the book. 2 days of intense reading. Obviously I loved the story about this fantastic adventure as I am a biker myself, but at the same time I missed a deeper understanding and insight in human nature and society, which this book scratches only on the surface and not too often. 5 stars not only for the respect such an adventure inspires in me but olso because the authors have been changed by it in a positive way and therefore made it possible for all uf us to benefit from it. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars it arrived very promptly and I am delighted with it, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
Whether you have seen the TV series or not this is well worth reading. The second-hand copy I received was immaculate and well packaged, it arrived very promptly and I am delighted with it. It tells the story of Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman's motor bike ride round the world - 20,000 miles of adventures spiked with honesty and great humour. This is a coffee table edition with fantastic photographs. Wonderful value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the DVD series....., 5 Feb. 2006
Ms. C. Fraser "SmileyCarrie27" (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
This is a good read, still only half way through this (as it has a few extras that arent/werent shown in the TV series) so I'm glad I bought this as well as the special DVD series!
I admire Ewan and Charley for what they achieved (I also admire both their wifes too)
Great for any Ewan or motorbike fan!!

Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition
Long Way Round: The Illustrated Edition by Charley Boorman (Hardcover - 6 Oct. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01