5.0 out of 5 stars Improve yourself in this gym without breaking a sweat!
This is the model for self-development books for the 21st Century. I have read many self-development books, to benefit personally and to support my work as a trainer and coach. Some have been based on academic research, others have been 'secret of my success' books. This one genuinely stands out.
There is a solid underpinning of well-researched psychology, combined...
Published on 27 Feb. 2005 by C. M. Perkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it wasn't all bad ....
Interesting stuff, but not much new, just rewritten. Lots of these reviews have been glowing and that's why I bought the book but just like their website, lots of fizz but eventually it goes flat. Most of it has been seen before.
By all means buy the book, but don't expect too much.
Published on 14 Jun. 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve yourself in this gym without breaking a sweat!, 27 Feb. 2005
C. M. Perkins (Stirling, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mind Gym: Wake Up Your Mind: Wake Your Mind Up (Paperback)
There is a solid underpinning of well-researched psychology, combined with dozens of practical tools and examples. The Mind Gym have taken the best, most useful theories and presented them in easy to understand ways, illustrating them with real-world examples from many of the participants at their 'Workout' training sessions.
Some of the things this book can help you with:
Develop a more take-charge attitude
Stop procrastinating
Sort out where your life is going and make big decisions
Make a more positive impact on others
Become more influential
Get on better with others, have more gravitas and resolve conflicts
Change other people's attitudes without upsetting them
Break bad news in a sensitive way
Reduce your stress levels
Become a better creative thinker
It's full of interesting self-assessments and you get access to their website for even more useful tools. There's just the right combination of interaction, anecdotes and explanation; and it's structured as a book you can dip into and get ideas straight away for any particular life challenge you face.
All in all, a book that will make a difference - if you USE all the good stuff in it.
For some further reading, have a look at '(Inner) FITness and the FIT Corporation' by Ben Fletcher, also about 'mental fitness'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, easily, 13 Jan. 2005
This is a very engagingly written, well designed book, which I would classify as "intelligent self-help". It also enables you to sign up to a web site, which contains some nifty self-assessment tools. The web site alone is worth the cover price of the book... and then some. The book itself is a refreshing take on questions like how to endow yourself with greater presence, how to manage stress, how to be better at influencing others, and how to be more creative. So why only four stars, rather than five? Essentially because most of what you will find here is common sense. That's not to say it isn't worth being reminded of it, but, as with any book offering to detox your mind or teach you new skills for dealing with people and situations, it rewards you for being balanced and sensible. That's good, but it isn't radical. Entering the Mind Gym is more like doing a good cardio workout than doing a sustained weights programme. In other words, the results aren't going to be astonishing. But they should be sustainable, and they are manageable. If you buy one book in this genre right now, this is the one to go for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought..., 25 Dec. 2006
Mark A. Cross (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There seem to be two different types of people in this world.

On the one hand there are those who just seem to have ingenuity, creativity and presence and then there is everyone else.

Although this book wouldn't magically turn the latter into the former, what it does do quite effectively is provide ideas that you can pore over in your own time. When you need to persuade someone to your side of an arguement, when you need to find a way to relax, when you need to make an impression... This book introduces you to a broad range of options which help you find methods and techniques that you might have forgotten existed.

The writing style is easy to follow and broken down into short manageable chapters so it is easy to find your own pace. It also written by someone who clearly has a background in psychology (just look at the bibliography) because all of the advice is practical and considered, there are no attempts at offering the hollow inspiration that is so common in self-help books.

In conclusion, if you are asking whether this book change your life or motivate you to new levels of success; the answer is "Probably not...".

Alternatively if you are asking if it is simply a good read? If it will help you find new ideas about how to handle daily situations and possibly help you see how your skills fit into a team environment... You will find this to be a very handy book that you will almost certainly enjoy and might well find yourself revisiting in those moments when you just need some ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do judge the book by its cover..., 18 Jan. 2005
This book might just be the start of a whole new category of self development books - self development for everyone...even those of us who detest the stuff. Quite frankly it's totally readable, immediately applicable and written in a really down to earth way. I've just read the chapter on how to influence people and it's packed full of ideas that have got my cogs whirring. Just one nugget for you that I really like, "The number one principle for influencing is to understand that people make decisions for their reasons not ours. When we try to influence it is, therefore, essential that we understand what the other person's reasons might be and so use tactics that will work for them as opposed to tactics that would work on us if we were in their situation."
Such a simple idea but how many of us actually do it? Final thought: I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for keeping your New Year's Resolutions!, 6 Jan. 2005
Jonathan Brown "J. S" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
Over the last 4 years the people at the Mind Gym have lead a quiet revolution in learning and development firstly in the UK and now around the world. I met their founder (one of the authors) nearly four years ago when I was responsible for L&D in a large company. Their unique selling point is to deliver "bite sized" courses (90 minutes) for workers too busy to take a whole day out of the office.
Whilst the bite-sized learning has been the Mind Gym's main selling point, their products have a number of other extremely valuable ideas that are rarely seen in a field dominated by blaggers with untested ideas who fail to practice what they preach.
Probably the most significant thing they offer is intellectual rigour. The book says they have an academic board of psychology professors - one of whom, Guy Claxton, I know has written some readable and practical books on creativity. What this means is that we have the best chance of getting advice that works as it has already been extensively tested under scientific conditions.
Wake Your Mind Up brings together the key insights for the best books and academic papers on that topic (included in the bibliography). Having read some of these papers myself I can say that they have done a terrific job of turning them into practical advice you can actually understand without needing a degree in psychobabble. The book reads more like the best articles in Cosmo or Esquire than a science based self development book. This makes it very easy to read and easier to relate to the concepts they talk about.
The book is split into five main sections, Taking Control, The Right Impression, Tough Conversations, Stress and Relaxation, and Creative Juices. Each of these has up to 5 separate chapters you can focus on depending on your immediate need. To help you decide where to start you can fill in a questionnaire that points you to what you think is most pressing for you.
And this brings me to another reason why this book is worth buying. Because the chapters are all short (about 15 pages) and focus on action rather than theory, they help close the knowing-doing gap one of the key obstacles to making changes in our lives. This is simply the gap that exists with what you already know but don't act on. An example of this would be the difference with what most of us know about weight loss and staying healthy and how most of us actually behave. We don't need yet another diet book with yet another outlandish theory, we simply need to use more of the information we already know. At the end of the day, you will be able to make changes faster as they keep the theory simple but rigorous.
So the book itself is terrific but it doesn't stop there as buying the book gives you access to a web site with more material and exercises. So if you want to develop even further you can go online. Personally I have found the book to be enough to be going on with.
One thing I would have appreciated would be for the bibliography to have included more of the books associated with some of the academics cited. For example, Martin Seligman's academic work was cited but they didn't refer to some of his books that would be useful if you wanted to go further, e.g. Learned Optimism or Authentic Happiness. I guess this isn't strictly their job but if this isn't already on the web site then it should be.
I have decided to buy a copy for my work colleagues and some of my friends - all of whom are involved in the learning and development field. I will also be recommending it to coaching clients who don't feel comfortable reading a whole book - such as Learned Optimism - but do what to gain momentum to make changes in their lives. I am sure the Mind Gym will do to self development publishing what they are doing to learning and development in companies. Wake Your Mind Up is a fantastic book and is a must have in 2005.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an absolute must..., 9 Jun. 2006
I was almost put off buying this book by one of the reviews I read on Amazon, but I am back here to tell you that you should take a look and judge for yourself. I agree that there is something unappealing about the world of self-help but this book was nothing like any of the books I have read previously. It gave a really insightful and practical way of doing things differently with dramatic results. It is designed so that you can dip in and out and focus on the current challenge that is on your mind. So whether I am facing a tricky negotiation in a client deal or trying to manage my other half as she goes about planning our wedding, it gives me tools I can put to the test with positive results in an instant.

It is written in a light-hearted and very humorous way whilst still clearly having the academic rigour you crave from this kind of book. It is a top read and I would highly recommend it, keep your hands on it though as my fiancée keeps pinching mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go on, help yourself, 6 Mar. 2005
J. Bateman "jus73" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
So-called self-improvement books often get a bit of hard time. After all, it's basically an admission that you're not perfect and who wants to admit that?
The Mind Gym: Wake Your Mind Up provides loads of ways to help you change your bad habits (procrastination, starting arguments) and start some new ones (giving praise, breathing better - yes, really), all of which can improve your life.
It's full of easy to use, common sense tips, be it at work or life in general. A lot of it is stuff we might already know or have seen in action but don't know how to use ourselves. Anecdotes and quotations are sprinkled liberally throughout which not only gives it an easy to read, magazine feel but more importantly, makes the key messages all the more memorable.
Best of all though, is the style in which the book is written. The authors manage to engage you by using clear, simple language. Never patronising and always accessible, the use of humour is also spot on and actually had me laughing out loud at times.
A fascinating, entertaining and genuinely helpful book, I defy anyone not to find this an enjoyable read. And if you 'don't do' self-help books, you could do worse then take heed of Thomas Dewar, as quoted in this book: 'Minds are like parachutes, they operate only when open.'

4.0 out of 5 stars give your life a kick start, 13 Sept. 2006
V. HOLMES "comedy name here" (Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
this book is full of tips to help you go for what you want and make changes in your life both big and small- although it loosely fits the self-help genre its light reading and doesn't take itself TOO seriously but what it does do is make you THINK! if you are considering buying this book i'd say go for it- at least a few of the chapters (which are very well ordered with a quick and useful description given in the introduction) are bound to make you say "they're talking about me here!"

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 15 Feb. 2005
I just wish this book had existed 10 years ago when I first started working in the recruitment industry. I remember going to so-called specialised recruitment training courses which simply left me cringing. I had hoped to learn some basic skills that I could adapt for use myself, but in the end I just learnt on the job. This book would have given me endless tips on how to handle new or awkward situations which inevitably arise and would have reinforced all the things I was already doing right... in essence it would easily have halved the trial and error phase. The four chapters in 'Right Impression' are invaluable - in work and life - it's utterly reassuring to know you're handling a situation well and why. Perhaps it's because this book is just right up my street, but I actually think the world would be a far more pleasant place if enough people read it. It's also an easy read - I'm not interested in reading the original psychology papers, nor do I have the time, and this has a nice magazine style.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ronseal of Popular Psychology books, doing what it......, 7 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
Finally a book that helps you tackle all those day to day challenges without having to read it cover to cover or wading through lots of information that isn't relevant to you.
My favourite chapter is "Do not read this book" a quick and easy way to get straight to the topics that mattered to me. Even better, I didn't have to write all over the book or photocopy any of the questionnaire pages, I did the questionnaires online and saved them for future reference.
This is definitely a book to carry with you and as it says "Wake your mind up"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Mind Gym: Wake Up Your Mind: Wake Your Mind Up
The Mind Gym: Wake Up Your Mind: Wake Your Mind Up by Mind Gym (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2005)