5.0 out of 5 stars The book I have been waiting my life for.
This book is magnificent. It has, at last, taken one of the great British contributions to world civilisation, and put it into literary form. The act of taking tea and biscuits, an area of culture ignored for centuries, is finally given its due.
Published on 24 Oct. 2004 by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable intermitten little book!
I picked this book up in the library and on browsing found it so interesting and quirky that I had to borrow it! Alot of people have laughed at me when that saw what I was reading. But they were soon intrigued to see if their fav biscuit was included!!!

Enjoyable book that every tea drinker should own for those moments of factual need!

Thank you.
Published on 20 Mar. 2009 by J. M. Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I have been waiting my life for., 24 Oct. 2004
Steve (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
Of course 'tea and biscuits' is an incredibly wide and complex subject, and the author (and his wife) acknowledge that they cannot possibly give an account of all its varieties and complexities. But what we get is a wide-ranging account of taking tea and biscuits- and an occasional cake- with illustrated descriptions and reviews of a range of biscuits at its heart. Not in the least insular, the author (and his wife) include accounts of the (few) significant biscuits offered from further afield, such as the Australian Tim Tam, the American Oreo, and (my favourite) the German Choco Leibniz alongside our familiar Gingernuts, Rich Tea and of course Digestives.
The author, who had a scientific education, is a born writer. His style is straightforward and lucid. He is often extremely funny. I laughed out loud on a number of occasions,as early as page three, an account of 'My Worst Cup of Tea Ever'.Read it and you will see what I mean. The book is wide-ranging; aspects of taking tea that are covered include the development of the tea bag (an American invention, evidently); teapots, and their propensity to pour scalding tea over one's lap; and how to notate the endless ways your work colleagues take their tea when it is your turn to make it (a sore point with me).
There is even a sensible short article on the presence of hydrogenated vegetable fat in biscuits (the stuff that sends your blood cholesterol level soaring), and, to cap it all, how to sit down to enjoy your tea and biscuit experience to the full.
The book is beautifully presented, printed on quality paper, well illustrated, and very reasonably priced.
I was going to withhold one star as there is no index (an unfortunate modern trend), but then I sat down, had a nice cup of tea and a biscuit, and decided to award it five.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice cup of tea, a sit down and a good book., 15 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
Nicey does it again. After writing the funniest and best web site I have ever seen he has put it into book format with lots of extras. An absolute triumph for the master of biscuit reviews. He also includes sections on
Kettle Etiquette
Tea bag technology
Work tea making
Personal mugs explained
Tea notation, how to do it
Teapot testing
Sugar, how not to give it to somebody who really wants it
and even branches out into the previously unchartered territory of cake. Where will it all end. Buy it. It's superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Halliwell of tea and biscuits, 11 Oct. 2005
Nick Johnston-Jones (London, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
I gobbled up this book in a sitting. In fact I was so absorbed by it I didn't even put the kettle on. The authors do a great service by marshalling legions of biscuits, new and old, and providing a superb critique of the major varieties. Barring the odd unaccountable omission (what happened to the presumptuously titled Nice biscuit, for example?) the work is very thorough and wholly digestible. Wonderful. Procure with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars kept it myself, 8 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
Nothing much to add to all the previous reviews, only to say I bought it for my sister but kept it for myself. A very funny, witty book, which I will continue to read and reread. Yes I did laugh out loud quite a few times. Read it for yourself, with a very large mug of tea.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable intermitten little book!, 20 Mar. 2009
J. M. Harding "Earl Grey" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I treated this book like I do my biscuits, 12 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
That is, I went through all of it, straight away. Couldn't stop. Didn't WANT to stop. I'm usually more of a fiction fan myself but this book was so great that I didn't put it down until I had finished. Rather like a packet of jaffa cakes. Except that this book was funny and interesting rather than spongy and chocolatey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me laughing out loud, 23 Jan. 2014
Frankieg3 "Frankieg" (Walton-on-the-Naze, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
Bought this after seeing a program on television about biscuits. It is informative and funny, so funny in fact I was reading bits to others in the doctors surgery as I was laughing out loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you want to know a bit about biccies?, 25 Oct. 2009
The MK Lightning (Pembrokeshire, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
A fascinating insight into the world of tea and biscuits. I can confirm that the Maria biscuit (as sold in the Canary Islands) is indeed similar to a small and slightly elaborate Rich Tea and yet somehow tastes a little better (or maybe the 35 degree heat in Fuerteventura makes a difference).

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a nice sit down, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
I first read this book 6 years ago. Loved it! Made the mistake of lending it to someone who obviously loved it more than me and did not return it. How happy I was to find another copy in mint condition and at a very reasonable price. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Torturous!, 8 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down (Hardcover)
I'm allergic to dairy products so the only biscuits I can eat are gingernuts which for some reason don't contain milk or butter. I know you can get dairy free biscuits (even custard creams), but it's not the same is it? Although you can get some nice dairy free digestives.
This is a really comforting read. Light in tone and broken up into bite-size chapters. I would recommend it to anyone who isn't a fellow sufferer.
'How to Be Idle' by Tom Hodgkinson is similarly cheering and is just as excellent.

Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down
Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down by Nicey (Hardcover - 21 Oct. 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01