4.0 out of 5 stars I shouldn't have read the other reviews so early :O)
I had read all of Christopher Brookmyre's other books before this was realeased, and was waiting for its publish date, then after publication I came and read some other reviews which slated it as an underwhelming read ... so I went on to read something else instead.

Published on 18 April 2006 by N. D. Holt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, fun read
This is the second Brookmyre book that I've read and I'm still very much in two minds about his novels.

AFAG was a fun and enjoyable read, however i did find the 2nd quarter of the book, explaining jane's back story a little too long and unnecessary in places.
Published 1 month ago by John Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars I shouldn't have read the other reviews so early :O), 18 April 2006

Well, I've just finished "All Fun and Games" and found it thoroughly enjoyable ... sure it isn't full of the gut wrenching, stomach churning humour of the other books ... but once I was started on it and the story got going ... I still couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.

If you've read, and enjoyed, his other books ... have a read of this one, and don't be put off by the more critical reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brookmyre at his best, 7 Mar 2012
I just love comedy in crime novels and no one does it better than Brookmyre. I've read all of his books and this one is my favourite.

I agree with some of the reviewers that it does take a while for it to get going (the start being somewhat laboured), but if you can forgive the first few chapters and persevere, it soon turn into a very page-turning and wonderfully humorous (black comedy) story from there on in.

Great scenario that the mother, Jane, (a James Bond fanatic), is recruited in to find her missing son. But there are lots of well thought through characters and sub plots to keep you entertained throughout.

If you've never read a Brookmyre book, treat yourself to this one! And if like me, you are into the dark comedy crime genre, then The Dealer by Tony Royden is another gem that I would highly recommend you try.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's left me wanting more..., 8 Aug 2006
Other reviews on this page suggest that this isn't a good Brookmyre for the non-initiated. If that's the case, I'm really looking forward to reading his others! Having finished AFAG last night I've already purchased my second Brookmyre and can't wait to get started.

True, the beginning is slower paced than the rest of the book but one of the reasons that the end is so riveting is because you are completely taken by the characters by that point and actually care about what will happen to them. So the build up adds to the pace and enjoyment in the end.

I wonder whether he'll follow it up with more "Jane Bell" novels...?

4.0 out of 5 stars First chapter is a slog, 4 Sep 2006
Get past the first chapter - a bit pedestrian and confusing - and enjoy the fun, laughs and excitement that are to come. This is the first Brookmyre novel that I have read, but it certainly won't be the last (another is waiting on the shelf for me even as I write).

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of fun and games, 24 Aug 2006
Tealady2000 (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My friends rave about Christoper Brookmyre so I thought I'd buy this to read on my summer holiday. To be honest I struggled a bit during the first chapter - it didn't really engage me. But after that it was brilliant and I couldn't put it down. I loved the middle-aged heroine Jane Fleming and the crazy, action-packed plot. The Scottish characters are oh so real. Great stuff - I will definitely read more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Girls kick ass!, 18 July 2005
D. Stokes "moiness" (UK) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of Christopher's novels though did find that the last one was a little predictable and formulaic.
I absolutely love "All fun and games". I think his writing of the female characters was sympathetic and accurate, something that I found rather a surprise. It was again a wonderful and fantastical romp that I found very hard to put down.
It is also a very good entry into the novelists work if you are new to him. Having totally new characters made for interesting back stories. Not as political or ranting as some of his other works which might make a more comfortable read for the unconverted.
I agree with other reviewers that it is very cinematic in style and would make a wonderful movie - let's just hope that ITV don't put their idiotic fingers on this or any other Brookmyer piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have to put things into perspective, 28 Jun 2006
OK, just finished reading the reviews and I have to ask what people were expecting from this book. I have been reading Brookmyre since the beginning, not relgiously but whenever a new book of his appears in paperback I always buy it knowing what I will get.

And what you get here is a slightly slow starting (and I mean only the first 15 pages or so) book that has true laugh out loud moments in - I defy anyone not to giggle when the line is delievered "....the car in front is actually a Lamborghini....", I had people on the train giving me 'the look' when I was giggling at some of the lines in the book.

It entertains and excites and has a wonderful set set of one liners, enjoy !!!!!

PS Passed it on to my mother to read, she got thrown out of her pensioners yoga club for laughing too much whilist reading it - so perhaps she gives it 5 stars too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised, 27 Aug 2006
Fiona Goncalves (Algarve, Portugal) - See all my reviews
I was actually looking for some realistic, breath-stopping thrillers on my last Amazon spending spree, so when this one appeared on my screen and I read the synopsis and reviews, I initially discarded it. However, as an ex-pat Scot, the idea of a book set in my home town, with a heroine my own age, meant I somehow kept coming back to it and eventually, although not without misgivings, added it to my basket as a final item before going to check-out. Where books are concerned, I don't overly subscribe to the idea of saving the best till last and, as I was still having doubts about the wisdom of my puchase, I read all the other books in my parcel first. I finally picked it up on a Friday evening and the rather slow start mentioned by other reviewers was starting to convince me I'd made a dud choice. However, since the only other thing I had to read at the time was the local sports paper, I persevered and I am delighted that I did. It picked up after maybe half a dozen or so pages to the extent that I begrudged putting it down to see to the evening meal. I had finished it before lunch the next day. It gave me a few nostalgic moments when I came across some turns of phrase I'd not used or heard since I was a kid, but most of all, it was just great fun to read. This was my first Christopher Brookmyre book, but it certainly won't be my last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, decent characters, very enjoyable, 31 July 2006
Robert (Uxbridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've read this three times it was such fun. Making the heroine of an action novel a middle aged grandmother who is fed up with her life was a great idea. Charactarisations are pretty good. As usual Brookmyre sticks in some information along with the plot so it will appeal to men who like to learn as they read. What's more, unlike some other action novels, the protagonists ae not superhuman, are not always right and have flaws which ae not plot devices. (So no blind, deaf or amnesiac detectives here!)The story moves along very nicely. Worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, fun read, 17 May 2014
John Hamilton (Dronfield, NE Derbyshire) - See all my reviews

The central idea of the book was well executed and the characters were generally well thought through.

It's worth a go.

All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye
All Fun and Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye by Christopher Brookmyre (Hardcover - 5 May 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01