5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read about Colombia
Published on 17 Jun. 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad I actually shredded it
As someone who has spent a couple of years studying in Colombia I am passionate about what is an amazing country. It shocks me though how this author got published. He has a minimal knowledge of the country and the writing style and content is drab.
Published on 10 Feb. 2011 by Mr. L. Faulkner

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read about Colombia, 17 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Cocaine Train (Paperback)
Forget about the "selling" title: not one line of cocaine is snorted in this intelligent, witty, sensitive book. I must admit I didn't really care about the family pretext of this trip to Colombia, but at the end I was moved by the reunion. Fascinating how Smith sinks into Colombian daily life, always sympathetic, never judgmental or naive. By the way, a much more in-depth analysis of the roots of Latin America's problems (violence, poverty, sub-development) than the outdated and shallow lectures scattered throughout "The Gringo Trail" .

5.0 out of 5 stars ¡Un libro tan maravilloso!, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Cocaine Train (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. Smith obviously knows this enchanting, but desperately troubled, land very well indeed. His meditations on the history, culture and inimitable Colombian way of doing things are shrewd, sympathetic and accurate. Ideal for any armchair traveller or prospective tourist hankering after a little genuine insight into the place.

1.0 out of 5 stars So bad I actually shredded it, 10 Feb. 2011
Mr. L. Faulkner "LF83" (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cocaine Train: Travels in Colombia (Hardcover)
I'm a big beleiver in sharing books but this book was so bad that I opted to put it in the work shredding bin. I didn't even want to leave it in the book share scheme at work because I didn't want someone reading this and being misinformed about colombia. I'm not even sure if this author actually went there. Save yourself the postage costs and don't get this book.

Cocaine Train: Travels in Colombia
Cocaine Train: Travels in Colombia by Stephen Smith (Hardcover - 5 Aug. 1999)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available