5.0 out of 5 stars from basic wales and knackercracker to angels wings
I had the pleasure to serve with Nish in Para Reg and he always was 100% dependable.I'm sorry I wasn't there for you Charlie when it really mattered.This book is as near to the truth as you will ever get without experiencing the thrill of Halos and PX4's.
Churchill once spoke about the ultimate sacrifice being made.Charlie Bruce made it.
Keep the ripcord in your...
Published on 14 Dec 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great literature but a gripping read.
Where does insanity end and madness begin? To voluntarily fling yourself out of an aeroplane not just once but time after time; To submit yourself to the physical and mental torture that is required of applicants to the SAS; To dream of stepping out into space from the basket of a balloon at the edge of the earths atmosphere in order to "boldly go" where no...
Published on 1 Nov 1999 by mjr@thelwell.globalnet.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars from basic wales and knackercracker to angels wings, 14 Dec 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
Keep the ripcord in your mouth Nish,the next drink will be on me.
I was proud to personally know this man and the book is a must read choice.
Ernie

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating but deeply moving tribute, 1 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
I remember when this book first appeared in the shops a few years ago. It was at a time when books by ex-SAS soldiers were flooding the shelves of most bookstores with their eye-catching covers and macho appeal. 'Freefall' seemed to be different in that an ex-member of the SAS was admitting to have succumbed to mental disorder, to have broken down as it is so often described. Here was a man who was not afraid of admitting that something had gone wrong, that he could no longer cope. The honesty shocked me.
And yet, amidst the deluge of special forces' books, I put the book aside, unable to face another round of SAS heroics.
It wasn't until I read about Tom's death earlier this year that my interest was reawakened. And as soon as I started reading 'Freefall' I was utterly absorbed by Tom's narration. It was a book that I carried everywhere for the week, reading snippets whenever I could, or seeking out opportunities to lie back and read for longer periods.
I have to say that my admiration for Tom grew and grew as his mental and physical toughness became more and more evident. From the proving grounds of Para selection and the individual torment of SAS selection, to the gut-wrenching fear of covert operations, Tom demonstrated a remarkable, and indeed a formidable, ability to fight for success whatever the cost.
And at the same time here was an intelligent man whose sense of reason and humanity were quietly being eroded, crippling his judgement and mental prowess. Until finally the erosion was complete.
I was moved to tears reading this book. His apparent recovery at the end of the book is cast into the most tragic of all lights given his ulitmate farewell to the world.
What a courageous, cast-iron spirit. What honesty. What an extraordinary man. Thank you Tom for showing us, for proving to us, that it is not weak to be honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars FreeFall - The best book I ever Read, 8 Jun 2004
Robert (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
FreeFall was by far the best book I ever read (Really no pun intended)- I found it on the bookshelf in a local book store - on the wrong shelf - I just picked it up and flicked through.
It is such a brilliant story that it doesn't need any highfalutin language to describe it.
I felt so sorry to finish the book at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lump in the throat read knowing the outcome., 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
Like Frank Collins I had read about 'Nish' (Tom Read) in other books. I knew the outcome of Tom Read before I read this book. What a very sad book about a SAS hero/Soldier who lost his mind. As I got near to the end of the book it got worse knowing that he ended his life later after the book was published. I wonder if it was in todays' times if he could have been helped more, but not by friends, but from professionals. RIP

5.0 out of 5 stars The most exciting book I have ever read, 20 July 2005
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
The story that this man has to tell is one not to be missed, every word is more exciting than the next and what makes it even more amazing, is that its all completely true, Ive never experienced an adrenaline rush from a book before!. Found it so difficult to put this book down. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars When the only way is up, 10 Mar 2004
This review is from: Freefall (Hardcover)
Iv'e ordered this book again after first buying it when it was first published, the original lent to friends and read by them from "front to back" in about 48hours. Amongst the spate of similar stories published at the time, this one stands out as a tale of honesty and inspiration. Tom Reade reminds us that we all, at some point, hit that point where we think there is nowhere else to go, and that all our achievments have led to nothing. This book won't change your life, but it may be one of those that puts your own problems into perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional and honest insight into one mans mind, 3 July 2002
D. Martin (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
I read this book following the news of Tom Read's tragic death. After all the media attention surrounding this event, the book is a moving read and helps explain the sequence of events and their bizarre conclusion. It also shows a compassionate and personal side not seen in previous books from ex-SAS soldiers.
This is not another "ex-SAS" novel, with more emphasis being placed on Tom's progress through mental illness and flashbacks to his career after joining the army. For anyone that has read Chris Ryan or Andy McNab's books there are interesting references to certain controversial members of the Bravo-two-zero squad - something that has also become a little more prominent in the media recently.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real life book - worth buying, 9 Oct 1999
Mark Percival (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
Tom Read manages to show just how fragile life can really be. He leads the life that every boy child dreams of - being a member of the SAS, but at the same time brings home the reality of what life is really like when your not "outside looking in" - and your actually there "doing it".
This is just a story about a human being and his daily life, but with immense depth to thought processes and emotions - sounds potentially boring, but I couldn't put it down. I think the reason is that you know it's so real and could happen to anyone; indeed - there are lots of things in there that I can draw a parrallel to, and thought processes that I too have had - but have manged to keep in perspective. It shows what a tight rope we are walking in life !
Tom - if you ever read this - I vote oxygen deprivation on Everest, but there again your not worried now. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Freefall by Tom read, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
From his early days with the Paras and Red Devils to special forces selection. A gripping account of a mans struggle with mental health and the demons within him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique book, 13 Aug 2007
This review is from: Freefall (Paperback)
When, a couple of years ago, read that Tom Read had killed himself it was terrible news. Since then, this book has been out of print which is a real shame as it is one of the best books I have ever read. Tom's descriptins of the building pressures in his life and the thought patterns in the midst of his breakdown is fascinating and awful at the same time. He was a remarkable man with remarkable dreams. and the world is a poorer place without him.

Freefall
Freefall by Tom Read (Hardcover - 6 Aug 1998)
Used & New from: 10.00