5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting book - a must read for everyone!, 15 Jun 1997
By A Customer
This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read! After reading this book, I now realize that I can not be perfect, no matter how hard I try. That actually makes me better at what I do because there is now no pressure of being perfect. This book also contains lots of good insight on relationshiphs with children, parents, spouses, etc. I recommend this book for EVERYONE! It is easy to read and very uplifting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book thats helps to put things straight in your head., 16 May 2006
kathy "kathy" (central scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Good Do We Have to Be? (Paperback)
Until I read this book I thought I had probably lapsed into being an atheist but now I'm not so sure! Kushners interpretation of the Adam and Eve legend makes sense in a very spiritual way that could so easily undermine religious teaching but instead seems to make sense of it. I have read it at a time of sadness and it seems to help the sadness, as does his other excellent but perhaps slightly too long winded book 'why do bad things happen to good people.' It makes one want to learn more about religious teaching and the strength and comfort if can offer, but in a questioning philosophical way rather than in the rather dogmatic, black and white and non questioning way that has put me off what so often seems to be delivered from the pulpit.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Day of Reading - A Whole Lifetime of Guilt Removed!, 15 April 1998
By A Customer
Having been raised in a family of six children, I was certainly able to relate to the sibling rivalry that existed because of original sin. This book was read in one day, and removed from me a whole lifetime of guilt from not understanding the bigger picture of my family's hardship. All of my other brothers and sisters are getting this book as a present this year, so that they too can understsand how God's love for us as individuals overcomes any childhood adversity we may have had. In addition, the myth of how Eve was created as a second to Adam was destroyed forever. Now as I prepare to enter into a marriage with 'my better half', I am able to realize the importance of finding the other person that completes you spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Thank you Harold Kushner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good News!, 6 July 2010
This review is from: How Good Do We Have to Be? (Paperback)
Excellent book written in Harold Kushner's lucid style.

His books are always very clearly written and full of practical application. Whether you are someone who believes in religion or not you will find something of value.

How Good Do We Have to Be?
How Good Do We Have to Be? by Harold S. Kushner (Paperback - 25 May 2000)