5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Thoroughly recommended.
I was not a huge Elvis Presley fan when I started reading the first volume of Guralnick's superb biography of "The King".However, once I started the book, I was both entralled and it sent me to the records. For me, there can be no higher praise for a music biography. Guralnick tells the story of Elvis's upbringing, his early career and finally his entry into the...
Published on 4 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
Found this went into much, much more detail than I needed or was capable of remembering. One for the true fans
Published 12 months ago by shufflingbob

5.0 out of 5 stars The only biog on Elvis to read..., 6 Jan 2011
Not only thedefinitive biography of Elvis Presley, but with it's sequel "Careless Love", Guralnick has written two of the most compelling, moving, exciting and thrilling books about music you could hope to read. His feel for the man, the times and the joy and exuberance of rock and roll is infectious and vividly depicted. Read it now. And then pass it to a friend- if they are not Presley fans before reading, i guarantee they will be converts once they've finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars You never stop learning!, 18 Dec 2006
s "s" (north west) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I purchased this book for my wife who has read every book,purchased every recording and watched every film of Elvis.She knows all the memorable dates,lovers and friends of the King.In short,she's knows everything there is to know about Elvis,or so she thought! This book contains details she didn't know and all explained sympathetically.It is well written,factual and interesting.Be warned,after my wife read this book,i had to purchase the follow-up book,"Careless Love".Last Train is Part-one which covers the life of Elvis up to his army days,Careless Love covers his life thereafter.Both books are highly recommended to all Elvis fans but are a little too heavy reading for others.Both books are good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasured collectable!, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Last Train to Memphis (Hardcover)
Out of print, and purchase was to replace copy previously lost, so very pleased! Condition exactly as described (as new).

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, the gold standard of the Rock Biography., 30 Dec 2013
A masterpiece, the gold standard of the Rock Biography.There will never be a better book on Elvis written ever! Superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 1 Oct 2013
Good read. But it is very very detailed with regard to contracts, who said what and when etc. Written in an American narrative style which means you may have to read sentences twice to understand the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Train To Memphis, 29 Feb 2012
I enjoyed this book immensely on the life of Elvis. I would definite recommend it to fellow Elvis fans. I had to finish it an then went out to buy the follow up....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 25 Aug 2007
This book is just fantastic ! Probably the best Elvis book I have ever read. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis Presley has never been so real, 28 Sep 2012
Muso (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Given the mountain of literature I've read on the life of Elvis Presley, I would have imagined there was very little left to learn, until I read this book. 'Last Train To Memphis' is the definitive account of the man and the musician. Painstakingly researched, informative and entertaining, the writer has drawn on accounts from people who were actually there and who are very much part of the story he is telling. For the first time the myth of Elvis is stripped away leaving a description of a likeable albeit completely driven young man. It is very difficult for anyone under a certain age to understand the impact Elvis had on 1950's America and shortly afterwards...the planet! To quote John Lennon "Before Elvis, there was nothing!". This book will go some way to enlighten how he redefined both popular music and popular culture.
It is a quite stunning biography, one of the best I have every read. I would highly recommend it to both Elvis fans & anyone who has an interest in the history of pop/Rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ELVIS BOOK TO OWN!, 3 Feb 2010
J. Purdy (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
I read Careless Love (the second half of EP's life) before I read this account of the first half of Elvis' life - from his humble beginnings and supersonic rise to superstardom in 56 to his draft into the Army.
It is a brilliant read, thoroughly researched as one would expect from Peter Guralinick. A must for your EP book collection. Take yourself back in time and re-live the most fascinating story of the biggest star of our times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this now, 15 May 2013
Very interesting best book I have currently read about Elvis,trouble is I can't put it down reading until all hours.

ARRAY(0xaa82eb88)

Last Train to Memphis
Last Train to Memphis by Peter Guralnick (Hardcover - 3 Oct 1994)
Used & New from: 3.88