Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 January 2014
Despite the way overly long title, this Manga tells a very simple and - I personally feel - very relatable tale of a girl with a rather encompassing social anxiety disorder, which I think will speak to a lot of readers. I know it gave me several moments of self-reflection, which only bonded me with central character all the more. It's not perfect and falls into some familiar tropes, however I found myself rereading it several times, and that can only be a plus in its favour. I must confess I went into this book expecting the usual "Manga ride," if you will, but concluded it with a moment of relatedness with the central character.

I'll most certainly pick up volume 2 when it comes out.
on 8 December 2013
Great manga series, some tragic moments, some very funny moments. Glad to finally have it in English. I would recommend it to anyone who's suffered from social anxiety or similar problems as it's a very accurate portrayol of what it's like to live through.
on 19 July 2014
After reviewing the Watamote anime I thought I'd do a brief review of the original manga. If you want a more in depth review you can look my review for the anime, as they're both more or less the same. If anything the anime add's a few things and expands on the manga in a way, but the manga is still worth the read. The artwork is nice; not beautiful or the best looking, but it is still nice to look at. There's also a surprising amount of detail that varies between scenes; some not having as much as others. There's also a fair amount of references to other manga and anime related things; some you might not get at first, but you might at a second glance. some are also quite humorous. I will warn some people now, mostly parents that buy things for they're kids, that there is quite a few sexual references. There's nothing crude or offensive; just a few lighthearted references.

OVERALL
This is a good manga and is deep, emotional, and relatable in a way. There's plenty to love about this. If you've watched the anime then there's nothing different here, but if you read the manga you can go on ahead of the anime and enjoy more Watamote. This is a manga that is worth the read by all anime and manga fans alike, though there are some that might not like it. It is something you will either like or hate, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable and worth reading the rest of the series. If you like the manga check out the anime!
on 5 January 2014
I watched the anime first before reading the manga (the anime is titled Watamote, if you're interested) and really enjoyed it. The gist of the story is about how Tomoko, the shy, introverted protagonist, expected to get more popular once she started high school. Suffice to say that this does not happen, and Tomoko tries various methods in order to improve her popularity. She's a bit of an airhead and ends up embarrassing herself every time. It's mostly comedy but at the same time you can't help but feel a bit sorry for her over her repeated failures.

The manga is very good, love the cover's non-glossy feel (prevents fingerprints from showing); Tomoko's character in the manga is almost identical to the anime's except she's a bit more judgemental here. But this also adds to the realism: her envy and jealousy at her classmates is even more pronounced and really feels like that of a resentful teenager. Don't worry about the plot getting too serious - it's almost always played for laughs. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
on 5 August 2014
This book is great! the only con about it is that It is a little shorter than other mangas, but to make up for it the cover and paper inside the book is great! It does contain some explicit languages so the OT rating is correct. This is a great addition to anyone's library!
on 21 November 2015
I bought these as a directed gift from a younger relative, and found myself laughing all the way through.

I had to learn how to read it back-to-front first, but once that cultural confusion was cleared, the pages turned themselves.

An extremely good depiction of being a teenager. The main character sits up all night googling "how to be popular" and worrying obsessively that people won't like her, to the point where it becomes self-fulfilling and she trudges through a lonely school life. True to many teens, she's naive and horrifyingly judgmental of everyone but herself. She takes social cues from the absolute worst possible junk culture, with no defense against heavily-sexualized mass media marketed towards teenagers. I found myself cringing a lot in part-recognition of what life was like during that awkward period, and the many social holes she digs for herself are horribly resonant. Yet her comedic misadventures are bathed in pathos, and you can't help but want her to be happy one day.

The fourth volume No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!, Vol. 4 in particular has a heart-breaking sequence in which our anti-heroine splits from a class outing she's been preparing for quite a while, and in one silent page she visits an arcade, then a bookshop, and then mingles anonymously with the Christmas shopping crowds. That one page captures "all dressed up and nowhere to go" perfectly.

I don't claim to "understand manga" on the back of this one series, but I can see what the fuss is about now, at least. I was expecting something partly exploitative or crassly sexualized, and got a genuinely funny, genuinely touching, genuinely intelligent story instead. Would that Western graphic novels learn from this sort of Japanese storytelling, we've lost our way in the thirty years I've been reading comics, that's for sure.
on 7 December 2013
the 1st volume of this manga is really good and I couldn't stop reading it,can't wait for 2nd volume,recommended for manga fans.
on 8 March 2015
Mixed feelings about this book. Liked it in some ways, but always seemed to revolve around sex. Think i'll leave this series and read something more lighthearted and with clean humour.
on 2 January 2014
This is the first in a new series and I really like it. Can't wait for April when the next book comes out. Buy it!!
on 25 April 2014
Follows the story of Tomoko, a social outcast who struggles with her confidence and has severe anxiety issues. A very heartwarming, funny and often upsetting manga, which tells a great story on a girl's quest to become popular.