5.0 out of 5 stars On My Second Copy, 4 May 2011
Eliza (Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
This has become one the best books I've found for working with students age 3-6 learning English as a second language. The pictures that layer, first building the monster step by step and then taking it apart again, are ingenious. It gets the children roaring with laughter. The text is perfect in its simplicity and allows ample opportunity for scaffolding as they learn. For example, early on I read the text and also gave the words in their primary language. Then I encourage them to repeat after me or say with me and the text really supports this with the "go away monster" parts. Later they can fill in the end of the sentences with me just saying, "This monster has ___", and then they fill in the correct words such as eyes, nose, etc. You can build from there to include color eyes, nose, etc. Finally, they are telling me the story with little input on my part. They love saying the go away with the correct facial part and then seeing the results on the next page. A fun follow up is we create our own monsters after and they introduce them to the group describing their features using the English vocabulary learned. Although I wanted to focus on how great this is for early language learners I think it would delight most children in this age range in their native language as well. The graphics are highly engaging and entertaining. Since I work with groups it was nice to have a book that is a bit larger then many of the typical size children's book too. The book is well crafted and sturdy as well. After two years of working with multiple groups of small children with eager hands though it requires replacement and is such a treasure in my collection of teaching materials its well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and safe learning process for children, 15 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
It is fun and it works! Designed to help talking about child's sleeping problems through gaming and learning process of reading a book. My 18 months old son James loves the colourful drawings and the badtime tantrums are thing of the past in our house. I highly recommend it to any parent in despair.

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant and original hit, 27 May 2002
By A Customer
My children (4 and 2 years 9 months) loved this. The pages are unusual - black with cut outs. They particularly enjoyed being able to shout out "Go away" on every page of the second half of the book as the monster built up in the first half disappears bit by bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know why but my daughter loves this book, 1 April 2014
Mrs. X. Li "Jamie" (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
My 4 year old can tell the story by herself. She thinks it is fun to let the monster appear then tell him to go away.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful for toddlers, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
Bought this for grandson who has monsters hiding behind his curtains, useful way of making monsters disappear! Each page turned the monster features vanish

5.0 out of 5 stars GO AWAY BIG GREEN MONSTER, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
This book is excellent we have had to replace a copy that has been read to death and was dropping to pieces.The children love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for 3-4 yrs, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
a lovely book for little ones, as within no time they can 'read' the text (with the visual clues)to you.
The way that the images build up and are then taken away are very appealing.
This is one that I have chosen as a core text in the nursery. Great fun!The Pop-Up Dear Zoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and clever, 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Go Away,Big Green Monster (Hardcover)
Brilliant book for toddlers and young children - colourful illustrations and clever cutouts make this a big hit in our house

Go Away,Big Green Monster
Go Away,Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley (Hardcover - 1 April 1993)