5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful
I've heard so many awesome things about A.S. King that I had a lot of trouble picking which of her books I wanted to read first, but there was something about the synopsis that kept drawing me back to Ask the Passengers. And I can say that I definitely wasn't disappointed with my choice.

Astrid is a character that I immediately felt a connection to - she's not...
Published 22 months ago by Kat

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't for me
I didn't enjoy this book all that much, but I think that's more because it's not my kind of thing than because it's not a good book. I prefer chick lit, so I couldn't really get into it. I'd recommend giving it a go though. It's always nice to be able to read about young LGBT people.
Published 1 month ago by Joanna Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, 10 May 2013
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ask the Passengers (Hardcover)

Astrid is a character that I immediately felt a connection to - she's not popular and is slightly awkward, and although she is quite indecisive about what she exactly wants out of life, she's comfortable in her own skin and embraces her own quirks. She loves philosophy and uses it in her day-to-day life, she loves making birdhouses with her father and helps her best friend to conceal a huge secret, all without making a big deal or complaining. And I totally loved that.

But most of all I loved her habit of talking to airplane passengers and sending them her love, which A.S. King enriched by adding in snippets of the lives of random airplane passengers and tying Astrid's questions that she throws up into the sky into their lives. It was extremely clever and also something that I didn't expect but enjoyed hugely.

Ask the Passengers has a strong focus on the relationship between Astrid and her parents and younger sister which I absolutely loved - her parents are less than perfect and are struggling with both their own problems as well as Astrid's struggles to understand herself, and even though they had their flaws, I loved that they were written in a way that still evoked my sympathy for them.

A.S. King's writing is not overly complicated, and in fact it's quite simplistic which fits the plot and characters perfectly - anything wordy or flowery would have only covered up Astrid's personality and the simplism allows the fantastic characterisation to shine through.

I loved this book and I was so caught up in Astrid's story, and just wanting everything to turn out the best for her - it's definitely one of my favourite contemporaries so far in 2013 and it's going to take an amazing book to topple it off that shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is beautifully written, and very true to life, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ask the Passengers (Hardcover)
This book is beautifully written, and very true to life. it made me really feel for Astrid, and so angry for her. Everyone pushes her around- her best friend and mum, to come out, her girlfriend, to go all the way, her school, to admit who she is. It was a very real portrayal of something that everyone feels they are being at some point or another- a pushover.

Everyone wants Astrid to define herself but she has no idea who she is yet, but that’s not good enough.

So Astrid spends her time talking to the sky, because people in planes don’t make her do anything she’s not ready for.

A really great story of a girl trying to find her feet in a world where the people who love her are the ones who hurt her the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Ask the Passengers (Hardcover)
This books is absolutely fantastic, It's a coming of age novel about a young girl finding out about herself.
Anybody questioning themselves should give this a read, i read it in a day!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ask the Passengers (Paperback)
This is hands down THE BEST book I have ever read! I cannot praise the author or this book enough. It is beautifully written and I automatically fell in love with Astrid and her way of thinking. I laughed and cried and completely fell in love with this book. Highly, highly recommend this!

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't for me, 26 Jan. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my all-time favourite book ever, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Ask the Passengers (Paperback)
This is my all-time favourite book ever. I read it in one sitting and then recommended it to everyone I know. A very realistic look at what it's like to grow up as a questioning teen in a judgemental setting. Beautiful and delicately written I adore this book so much!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn’t like this book, 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ask the Passengers (Paperback)
I didn’t like this book. I wouldn’t read it again, and I wouldn’t read it at all if I had the choice. You can tell it was written by a straight person, is all I’m saying, and some of the things that seem out of character are just downright disrespectful when you realise it is. Go read Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danforth or Ash by Malinda Lo or basically anything by someone who actually cares about and understands gay kids.

Ask the Passengers
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King (Paperback - 26 Sept. 2013)