4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on a careers self-help book
Do What You Are does not profess to get you into your dream job, nor does it tell you you can do something you clearly can't. It is a guide, and sticks firmly to the principles of the medium.

Published on 7 Mar. 2011 by Adam

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
Do what you are does not do what I expected it to do. There are no secrets in personality type. Save your money and google search the topic. There is just as much freely available information out there.
Published on 23 Jun. 2012 by R. S. Oakes

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on a careers self-help book, 7 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Do What You are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type (Paperback)

What DWTA does do is provide an interesting insight into the psychology of the jobs search; it's aim is to categorise the reader into one of 16 'types' with the intention of narrowing down your possible strengths and weaknesses. Knowing this, according to the authors, will aid you in conducting a thorough and focused careers search; it will also help you find work that suits your abilities, desires, and disposition. The ultimate goal is not necessarily to earn lots of green paper, but to find happiness and fulfilment in the work you do, a refreshing objective (especially in the dire job market at present).

Personally, I have yet to find my 'dream career', but this book has helped me enjoy my current employment a little more. It has also given me some helpful advice and, fundamentally, focus. I would certainly read this if you are fresh out of university / college and don't have a clue where you're heading next...

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 9 April 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Choosing a career based on personality type is not a new concept; in fact, the first edition of DO WHAT YOU ARE was released in 1992 (and I can actually remember reading it when I was a junior in high school). In this, the fourth edition, hopefully even more teens will be exposed to this great resource.

The authors, both experts in personality type and career development, put forth the idea that choosing a career path based on your individual personality will be beneficial to your success. For those worried that discovering your personality type is a difficult process, don't despair, because the authors make it quite easy.

There are four dimensions to personality type:

Whether you are extroverted or introverted.
Whether you notice things by sensing or intuition.
Whether you make decisions by thinking or feeling.
Whether you prefer to live by judging or perceiving.

Once you've discovered the answer to each of these four questions, you'll be able to discover which of the sixteen possible personality types you fall into. Once you do, you can quickly skip to the relevant section in the book.

In my case, my personality is ESTJ - or extroverted, sensing, thinking, judging. According to the authors of DO WHAT YOU ARE, my strengths lie in organization, being objective, working alone, and being a good decision maker. My weaknesses are also outlined, and include impatience with those who don't follow procedures, a tendency to overrun people, and difficulty listening to opposing viewpoints. Some suggestions for careers, based on my personality type, are as a teacher, government employee, sales, supervisor, or a manager.

Of course the above is not a full list of the strengths, weaknesses, or recommended career choices for those whose personality type is ESTJ - the above is merely a sampling. But I can say with truth that DO WHAT YOU ARE can be a great resource for those beginning their search for a career choice. I can agree that ESTJ is definitely my personality type (faults and all!) and have no doubt that this book has the power to help everyone looking to correctly match their strengths to the perfect career.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

4.0 out of 5 stars finding my career path whilst understanding my self, 22 Feb. 2013
very interesting and insightful book. helped me understand some of my character traits which I'd never before considered
quite easy to use (although on occasion it was hard to decide on which trait characterizes me best
overall I definately recommend it to those who are somewhat lost in their careers or seek professional satisfaction

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 23 Jun. 2012
R. S. Oakes (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Know and understand yourself, 21 Mar. 2013
Whether you are in a job or looking for one, this very clever book helps you see yourself, your loves and your passions much more clearly. This book helps you look deeper into who you are and why certain jobs will bring out the best in you and ultimately make you happier. I love exploring who I am, and I still often dip into this book to get inspiration and I always find something I had not seen before. Life it so short and we need to have the confidence to look at ourselves in depth and then take the brave step of making the changes that will make ourselves happy....by knowing yourself, you will know what career path you need to follow. I just love this book and buy it for friends and family when they are acing a tough time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not interesting, 26 Nov. 2010
I would not recommend this to anyone, who has read or studied even the very basics of the Briggs-Myers personality test. The book does not help anyone, who wishes to 'know' ... 'what to do' based on who they are. It's more useful to take a day off, take a pen, paper and write down your own ideas and reflect upon your options/desires.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable guidance, 8 Feb. 2010
Morten Maegaard (Denmark) - See all my reviews
"Do What You Are" is one of the very best career books around. I consider it indispensable!

Used & New from: £1.78