Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 May 2014
Can I just begin by saying - Arianna went to Cambridge, not Oxford as I keep reading in reviews (did they actually read her book?). I was there (not at the University) but as a working class teenager with a brain who lived locally I attended, along with a friend, open debates and talks at the university in my spare time. I have read all her books as they've been issued over the years since then, and never once did I feel that her relatively easy life (compared to mine) disqualified her from experiencing the fullness of life with all its nuances, feeling emotions or thinking, really thinking, creatively. Actually, this particular book helped me no end - to fight those fears and go and seek that formal education in my mid life. I fought the fears and went through first degree in my late thirties, then onto postgrad work in my forties - something that previous generations of working class women could never have contemplated. Some of the people I became friends with and am still friends with, were from totally different backgrounds - the daughter of an ambassedor, the daughter of a bishop and a Lord of the realm - we got onto together because of personality not wealth or lack of it. Of course I know the problems are different, no one knows better than me, how hard it can be for those from less privaledged backgrounds and the evironmental, pychological, financial and other factors that contribute to that. But the rich have problems too, they are just different - although it can be argued that its easier to be unhappy in physical comfort, its not always the case. Arianna's words work on so many levels, for us all, I beg the reader not to be too quick to pre-judge. To do so is to be as unfair as those who look down on the poor as "losers" - not an attractive or humanitarian stance to take in any civilisied society.
on 22 March 2014
I have been reading a lot recently about feminism and personal development and thought this sounded interesting. However it transpires to be a series of anecdotes from and about Arianna's social circle of politicians and media leaders (naming/endorsing every product and company as she goes). Her advice on life ranges from the sensible to the bitter, with no insight into how privileged her life has been, despite constantly name dropping her chums from Oxford, media, politics, and the super rich (without realising it is easier to be 'fearless' within a powerful and successful network). She peppers the whole text with idiosyncratic references from history and culture, and promotes a chaotic set of beliefs including the essential nature of religion, and support of some pretty dodgy alternative therapies and beauty techniques. The whole is also very American - I hadn't heard of many people she assumes are household names and all the stats related to the USA.

Given the poor ratio of sage advice to word count, I struggled to sustain interest to the end, though I'm glad I got there as the last chapter on changing the world is the best part of the book and quite inspiring. However, overall I really can't recommend it unless you are already a fan of hers from other work, as I think there are much better books about feminism and self actualization to spend your time and money on.
on 25 April 2014
Just interesting and thought provoking through examples from people from various walks of life. People we know, trust, have heard about or people we have never heard about. But all women who listened to their inner voices and acted fearlessly.
on 10 May 2015
If you can get over the fact that Ariana and her mother appear to have done everything possible in their lives, thus making you feel a little inadequate, it's a good book to stop you feeling negative about life
on 18 February 2015
This book is OK... I couldn't finish it though as some of the advice/motivation given is so cliché...
on 23 January 2014
A truly inspirational book - it was more than I expected and hoped for.
I would strongly recommend purchasing this book if you want something inspirational and honest. I did not find the author to be in any way arrogant/self-absorbed as has been suggested in some other reviews of this book.
I did not enjoy the chapter on God but the rest was brilliant.
on 22 August 2015
Came to this book expecting an examination on how to be confident and fearless at work (probably because that was what I was looking for!) but found a much more diverse dialogue about confidence, purpose and fear about life in general. Great read with some lightbulb moments.
on 15 February 2015
Life changing ,the book so engaging. I made realIze to let go of my fears and do think what I w :) with my career and be bit more fearless about , jump right in.
on 12 July 2014
Great book, really helpful:)
on 21 May 2015
Great book by a great woman. I don't want to give anything away but mine is now covered in sticky notes from the inspiration I gained.