5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read

Published 6 months ago by Psychologist

2.0 out of 5 stars long winded, American and grandiose, 22 Mar 2014
Psychologist (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
I have been reading a lot recently about feminism and personal development and thought this sounded interesting. However it transpires to be a series of anecdotes from and about Arianna's social circle of politicians and media leaders (naming/endorsing every product and company as she goes). Her advice on life ranges from the sensible to the bitter, with no insight into how privileged her life has been, despite constantly name dropping her chums from Oxford, media, politics, and the super rich (without realising it is easier to be 'fearless' within a powerful and successful network). She peppers the whole text with idiosyncratic references from history and culture, and promotes a chaotic set of beliefs including the essential nature of religion, and support of some pretty dodgy alternative therapies and beauty techniques. The whole is also very American - I hadn't heard of many people she assumes are household names and all the stats related to the USA.

Given the poor ratio of sage advice to word count, I struggled to sustain interest to the end, though I'm glad I got there as the last chapter on changing the world is the best part of the book and quite inspiring. However, overall I really can't recommend it unless you are already a fan of hers from other work, as I think there are much better books about feminism and self actualization to spend your time and money on.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
I met Arianna at a conference and was so impressed that I bought the book. We should all lead fearless lives and I have since bought copies for all of my god daughters and given to friends with teenage daughters as well. Arianna has worked through all of the classic barriers of birth and growing up in a single-parent household, language - being Greek at Oxford, and never let sexism take her off her path to success. We should all take a leaf out of her book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise woman - she speaks with relevance to us all - regardless of nationality, culture or social class, 28 May 2014
trishthedish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
Can I just begin by saying - Arianna went to Cambridge, not Oxford as I keep reading in reviews (did they actually read her book?). I was there (not at the University) but as a working class teenager with a brain who lived locally I attended, along with a friend, open debates and talks at the university in my spare time. I have read all her books as they've been issued over the years since then, and never once did I feel that her relatively easy life (compared to mine) disqualified her from experiencing the fullness of life with all its nuances, feeling emotions or thinking, really thinking, creatively. Actually, this particular book helped me no end - to fight those fears and go and seek that formal education in my mid life. I fought the fears and went through first degree in my late thirties, then onto postgrad work in my forties - something that previous generations of working class women could never have contemplated. Some of the people I became friends with and am still friends with, were from totally different backgrounds - the daughter of an ambassedor, the daughter of a bishop and a Lord of the realm - we got onto together because of personality not wealth or lack of it. Of course I know the problems are different, no one knows better than me, how hard it can be for those from less privaledged backgrounds and the evironmental, pychological, financial and other factors that contribute to that. But the rich have problems too, they are just different - although it can be argued that its easier to be unhappy in physical comfort, its not always the case. Arianna's words work on so many levels, for us all, I beg the reader not to be too quick to pre-judge. To do so is to be as unfair as those who look down on the poor as "losers" - not an attractive or humanitarian stance to take in any civilisied society.

4.0 out of 5 stars No preaching, 25 April 2014
Ms. S. A. Hammond (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Just interesting and thought provoking through examples from people from various walks of life. People we know, trust, have heard about or people we have never heard about. But all women who listened to their inner voices and acted fearlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book., 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
A truly inspirational book - it was more than I expected and hoped for.
I would strongly recommend purchasing this book if you want something inspirational and honest. I did not find the author to be in any way arrogant/self-absorbed as has been suggested in some other reviews of this book.
I did not enjoy the chapter on God but the rest was brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 July 2014
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
Great book, really helpful:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Sep 2014
Mrs. A. Hurl "Agota" (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
A well written, honest count of Arianna's life so far. I find it very inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
An excellent book, with a lot of inspiring examples of successful women.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better now than never!, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women (Paperback)
Not sure why it took me so long to read it - but its one that all of us women need to read immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like chatting in a cafe, 11 Jun 2014
Arianna doesn't tell you what you should do she just gives examples of fearlessness. It's like chatting with your friends for advice and examples - she makes you feel comfortable while giving you a valuable opportunity

On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women
On Becoming Fearless: A road map for women by Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington (Paperback - 4 Oct 2007)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks