Everybody Sees The Ants
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£8.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 February 2015
The book is ok I suppose. Not my favourite read and to be frank it could have been a bit longer. The story is promising but it fails to deliver. It's almost as if the author tired of it and finished it early. What I really object to though is paying for a book only to find the final 30 pages are taken up with random chapters from the author's other books. It's a cheap shot and for this reason alone I won't buy any more from this author.
on 1 March 2012
I first bought Everybody Sees the Ants because it had such great reviews and an even better synopsis.

A boy that retreats into his dreams to escape reality, and finds himself in war-ridden jungles? A place where he can be anyone he wants to be, a better version of himself even? A place where it becomes so easy to submerge yourself into, rather than live your life? How awesome does that sound? I thought for sure this book is going to be worth the read.

Sadly, it wasn't.

Yes, as many reviewers have stated, this book deals with a lot of important topics such as abuse, bullying, sexual harassment, feminism etc. that readers may find interesting and appealing. But just because a book deals with such issues does not a good story make.

Here's what you need to know about our protagonist Lucky, who, as it happens, is anything but. His dad is what he calls a 'turtle' due to the fact that he hides in his shell and has no backbone, and his mom is a 'squid' due to her obsession with swimming laps to escape her life.

Lucky makes the mistake of asking the students at his school if they were to commit suicide, what their method would be for his course project. This one question makes everyone think he needs help as he must be prone to suicide. Lucky's life takes a turn to the worse as Nader McMillan (the school bully...no scratch that, the town bully) makes his life completely unbearable to the point where his mom packs their bags and decides they need to leave town for a little while.

In those dreams Lucky escapes to, he meets up with his grandad who has been MIA since 1972. He believes that it is his mission to save his grandad and bring him back home.

This book had many great themes, but the writing and the plot just didn't do it for me. The plot seems too weak, there are many things that go unexplained, and near the end it all seems very rushed as if A.S. King ran out of ideas and needed to wrap it up. I also never understood how a boy at high school terrorized an entire town and was able to get away with bullying and sexually harassing kids for as long as he did.

All in all, a fair book, but I don't think I'd be recommending it to anyone.

Finally, if I was a man born in 1951 I would have been the 25th person to be called in to report for induction into the military. That's as unlucky as it gets.
on 9 April 2013
Bought this for my granddaughter, she loved it. I read a chapter and i was surprised at how easily i got into it so i'm waiting to borrow it.