on 28 August 2012
I bought this book because I work with adults with learning disabilities and i thought it might make a good subject for a short sketch. However, i also have a son with autism so I thought I would go through the ideas in the book with him. My son is 10 years old and has never made a friend but I had noticed a small boy at after-school club trying to become his friend.

We read the book and looked at some of the ideas and I mentioned very casually some of the things he could do or have done in response to this boys request for friendship. I then left the situation and thought nothing more about it.

something odd started to happen the next few times I dropped him off at club, he was being greeted by other children in the club and he was responding. The next thing I knew he had made a friend. I later found out this friend was the same little boy he had been ignoring around the time we started using the book! This boy is my sons first friend so what else can i say?!

I would at least encourage people to give it a go. This book covers some very obvious points but has been effective so that's the big deal!
on 28 November 2005
This teaches that friendship is reciprocal - your child doesn't have to go along with other kids all the time and they, in turn are expected to reciprocate by letting your child come first. Good teaching book. Too many books advocate giving guests their way at the expense of their host. Fortunately, this one doesn't. Useful for classes and families.
on 30 August 2008
My 6 year old son is autistic and in mainstream school. He loved this book and has learnt a great deal from it - it's a bit like an indepth social story. I think this book should be available to all primary 1 children as it covers so many issues regarding making friends and what to say to friends and how to know if someone is your friend. Fantastic book!
on 20 June 2008
After a long holiday my son found that his nursery friends had found new friends and he reacted by doing a lot of shouting. After reading this book he had a better understanding of the different ways that you can be a friend and how to act when you feel left out. We were able to talk about the situations in the pictures - he was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much of a story - and relate them to what he was going through at nursery. We've had positive comments from the staff who've observed him helping other children who feel left out and he's now friends with the new children too.
on 2 December 2010
One of my 4 children finds the unwritten rules of friendship harder to grasp than the others, doesn't entirely pick them up through social clues so I bought this book along with another one or two to others for guidance and have found it the most helpful and very practical. It is not exactly set in story form but gives guidelines for different situations children might find themselves in. I use it for discussion regularily and the children love the discussions as they all have stories to tell on the different issues. I genuinely think it helps.
on 16 October 2012
My goodness IT'S BRILLIANT! Not only does it explain how to be a friend but all the 'what ifs' too. It covers Me, Myself and I, Who can be your friend?, Ways to be a friend, Joining in the fun, Feeling shy, Ways not to be a friend, Bosses and bullies, Making up with a friend, Talking out an argument and Being friendly..... All of the chapters have a do this/don't do this ethos and if this doesn't work, try this instead. I'm chuffed to bits with it :-)
on 12 July 2008
If you wanting to buy one book in the series, this is the best. The No Hitting book is complete rubbish, but this book has useful ideas and techniques. It is not aimed at children who have more serious issues, but for a normal child who doesn't always interact well with other children, it it fine.
on 9 November 2009
Bought for my 6 year old daughter who tends to be a bit forceful when it comes to friends, she is very much in your face! This books gives a quiet time to think about others and what your actions can mean to them. Great book, nice pictures too. Reminds me of Arthur the kids cartoon.
on 25 October 2014
This book is okay. it talks about feelings and how to make friends but at the part where it gets tricky managing feelings of jealousy, shame or guilt in friendships it wimps out and says ask a grown up! Some of the ideas about keeping friends didn't really address "bad" feelings and I felt at times involved ignoring these to keep the friendship. But with support from a parent/career could be good for discussing how to balance these - this is not explicit in the book. Its a good first step.
on 13 June 2010
I purchased this book via Amazon, to assist me in working with a child who has been struggling to make and maitain friends. The book has been a really useful tool with a number of children from different backgronds and with different experinces. I will use this book again to support me, in supporting children who need help to think about friendships and what that entails.