5.0 out of 5 stars How Do They Know That?, 30 Aug 2003
James Gallen (St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (Hardcover)
I always wondered how speakers knew all those quotations. Now I know. They check "Barltett's Quotations."
This book consists of an extensive collection of thousands of familiar quotations from hundreds of sources spanning the history of the world. Biblical books, literary works, historical figures, authors, politicians, religious figures and even the anonymous all contribute to this vast collection.
The collection is assembled by source, listed, more or less, chronologically. The book contains two indices. In the front, the reader finds the Index by Authors. After the quotations, we find a general index of topics. For each listing in the general index, we find the lead word as a heading with the citation for each lead word with the words which follow it in the quotation.
I have found this book to be a valuable resource on many occasions. Just reading through it educates the reader to the source of many sayings with which we are familiar. When I have been searching my brain for the particular phrase, I have often found it in "Bartlett's". When looking for a witty phrase with which to liven a speech, "Bartlett's" often comes in handy.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone who needs a source for quotations for speeches, writings, or just to satisfy your own curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is indispensable for writing, 20 Oct 2002
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (Hardcover)
I like this book and look for odd sayings to spring on people at work. The index is just large enough to find things that you were not looking for. So be warned that this book will take more of your time than day trading.
However if you are of limited funds you need to look at Bartlett's Roget's Thesaurus, first. There are not as many good quotes but the combination of Bartlett and Roget's is better by far than either one alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Do They Know That?, 12 Jan 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 12 April 2011
This is a great book!!!
It is enriched with quotations from several authors, form different times, allowing the reader to choose quotations for just about everything! Apart from the extreme help that gives in starting a paper or a postcard, it is also very good to curious people who just want to know what great names in history have said.
Strongly recommend it!

Regards

5.0 out of 5 stars amazon custmer service, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (Hardcover)
Excellent, no problems and delivered on time as stated. The book is in tip top condition. I will be making future purchases.

ARRAY(0xa47e1f0c)

Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
Bartlett's Familiar Quotations by John Bartlett (Hardcover - 26 Nov 1992)
Used & New from: 0.01