5.0 out of 5 stars The only style book I really love - and will keep forever
Published 8 months ago by englishrose

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely uniform
Published on 15 July 2009 by A Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars The only style book I really love - and will keep forever, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
I've bought a lot of style books over the years and have wasted quite a bit of money this way. But this book - Style Statement - is the only one really worth having. I worked my through it and slowly but surely began to realize what my own real style was. Why I loved the things I love, didn't like what many other women loved, and how I could express the inner me in my clothes, furnishings, and so on. There are lots of books out there which give you the author's take on style. This is the only one that puts you in the driving seat, and which really works.

Several reviewers have given this book negative reviews because it does require effort on the reader's part. But everything worthwhile needs effort! I spent many years trying to conform to what magazines and other people thought were chic, fashionable looks, and all that time I really had no idea at all what would suit me, express myself, not someone else's idea. Yes, you need to sit down with this book and spend some time reflecting on the questions it asks. You'll find it very rewarding. And this is the only book on style that I will keep forever and turn back to every time I feel in danger of forgetting who I am and what my style really is.

Do take a chance on this book, and it may just change your life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely uniform, 15 July 2009
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
Not really my style of book. For me it has two big problems. It follows that odd modern fashion of using a book design that is unreadable - small pale grey text. Not good for a book in which you really need to reflect on every word, so it would be useful to be able to read it easily. And although all the real people included choose different style words, they are strangely the same. If you're willing to put in the effort required to read them, then the questions are interesting and thought provoking. I did find it helpful in picking out some style words for myself which aren't usually incuded in personal style books, but got very little guidance on how those words would translate into design choices.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to find yourself...., 8 April 2013
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
The aim of this book, I think, is to help you choose two words that describe you and later guide you in defining and expressing your own unique style through your consistent choices. But hey, don't you already do it? Maybe the book's aim is to help you to become more conscious about what "style" is and what it might mean to you and also, how you can play with it. There are pages of questions that you can answer, or not. There are plenty of people used as examples of how they defined their own styles according to the 80/20 formula presented in the book. In short, you can treat the book as a good friend- to agree or disagree with. Whatever you do, do it in your own way and let this book inspire you or upset you. Then work with whichever, because you can use any of your reactions as a possibility to learn more about your priorities and also your dislikes. Do not follow anybody but yourself, then and only then, you are on your way to find your style, your true expression. After all, style is congruence.

It's hard for me to say something definite that would make it easier for you to decide whether to buy this book or not. No wonder the reviews so far awarded it many different combinations of stars. Look, if you are fed up with books that tell you how to dress, what to wear, when and why and you like to be naked this might be a book to read. I bought it used in a good condition and wiped the cover with spirit drenched tissue, it worked, so at least the cover is reliable.

If you really like to know who you are a spiritual literature might serve you better but on the other hand, it doesn't matter where you start as long as you start and continue your journey. I'd say get the book and if you don't like it, give it to someone who would appreciate it. They will love you for it so you can't go wrong. The value of this book depends on what you are able to do with it. Good luck, be who you are and do it in style.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does having a Style Statement make life easier?, 14 Jun 2010
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
I found this book extremely confusing to begin with. The girls have obviously done lots of research and are truly dedicated to their idea but coming to it from the outside I found it lacking in direction and clarity. HOWEVER, give it a try as there are some nuggets! By the end I think I got it! I have never liked pigeon-holing people (or myself) but there are some interesting points about the way some of us (Westerners) think alike and what makes us who we are. This is a fascinating insight into a 'lifestyle' obsessed world and if you are prepared to be asked some difficult and rather repetitive questions then you might find out something new about yourself.As for making it easier to make choices now I know my 'Style Statement' -well I think if I was confused about it before then I am surely confused now

5.0 out of 5 stars A new approach to living according to your own North Star, 9 Sep 2009
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
This is an inspiring and practical guide to living authentically ie according to your own unique values and needs.Much more than the "style" the title suggests,it covers every area of life from career to your home to friendships.The penetrating questions about what you love,what's most important to you and what doesn't work for you lead you to uncover preferences that may have lain dormant for years.
The coaching questions are many layered and very skilfully written.The beautifully produced book is designed for you to approach over time and builds on your realisations.
I have already recommended it wholeheartedly to some of my coaching clients when we have been identifying core values to make important decisions about career changes,relationships and new businesses.
In addition,the website which accompanies the book adds invaluable and fascinating case studies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting approach to style, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
Having read loads of books on personal style, I think this one is a bit different. It's basically a whopping questionaire, to analyse one's own preferences and inclinations. And the result feels both familiar and surprising at the same time. It changes one's focus from the exterior to the interior, and the idea is that one's style should represent what's on the inside. But it's about more than wardrobe, it's about living arrangements, travel, socializing, all of it. I like this, no must-have lists, no talk about "classics" or "staples". That's for the individual to decide. I think the examples provided are great. Very inspirational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Style indeed, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
this book is attractive. and for people who are interesting in style and its composition what it means for someone to have style and how to keep it and also how to niche your style. Recommend especially for life coaches and stylists.. its a great self help book which has countless ideas and inspiration within in. The only problem for me was when i was reviewing it online and also with the book it self is the typeface is quite faint.. would have loved it to be bolder and so easier to read Its a elegant book and great for a coffee table to pick up randomly and choose a piece that captures your eye.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a chore..., 6 Dec 2011
J. Swainson "justy_one" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
I'm finding this book a bit tedious to plough through. In order to identify your Style Statement, you have to answer sets of questions on various aspects of your life / personality / likes and dislikes. The only trouble is, there are lots of sections of questions and they're very repetitive. I think I will probably give up before I actually get to the point where I discover my statement...

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design (Paperback)
This book is a gem. It's beautiful, authentic and wise. If you have an unfulfilled sense of who you are and how you want to be in the world this book will help you get in touch with your essence and move towards the things you love and value. It has clarified so many things for me and I think I will use the insights I have gained from this book for many years to come.

Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design
Style Statement: Live by Your Own Design by Danielle LaPorte (Paperback - 1 May 2008)
Used & New from: 2.89