4.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 7 April 2010
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read the first one (Redheaded Stepchild) and thought, "that was good but the second one will be better". And I was happy to find I was right. I enjoyed the plot of this one more than the first. Sabina has moved to New York to meet her twin sister and learn more about her mage side, but there are forces in NY that don't want to see her succeed.

With her comical demon sick-kick Sabina leaves behind LA and her grandmother, to take on angry werewolves, sexy ex-lovers and powerful mages. Filled with action, laughs and suspense, Mage in Black is a page turner.

If you like other urban fantasy authors such as Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison and Jeaniene Frost, then you're sure to enjoy this new and exciting series. I'm really looking forward to the third one, Green Eyed Demon, and have a feeling it will be even better! I hope I'm right again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first, 8 April 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
The Mage In Black is the second book in the Sabina Kane series. The first book, Red-headed Stepchild, was really good, with great characters and plot, despite a few slower moments of world building. One of the real high points of the book, was the humor. In particular where demon cat Giguhl was concerned. So I was really looking forward to this second book and learning more about the mage race.

It starts up quick with a lot of action, picking up just after the events of book 1. Sabina is thrown in to the Mage world, so different from the life she's known under the Dominae. She's confused, resentful and desperate for revenge. But quickly finds herself in trouble again, with new foes and old.

I really liked this book. It was fast paced, fun and had a good plot with some great twists and turns. Several threads from the previous book were picked up and explained further, giving a much better sense of the world Sabina lives in, as well as giving us a better look at Sabina herself as she struggles to find a place in this world that seems so new to her. The romantic subplot with Adam is fun and hot, but doesn't take away from the main plots. It actually adds to it very nicely. Giguhl is once again the real comedy relief from the life and death fight Sabina is constantly in. There is the introduction of several new characters in this book. I like that they're not all rolled out at once, but given more detail over time so they're not 2d but without dragging the story down with information.

However, despite the good characters and plot, I didn't find myself getting lost in this book. It was good, very good in places, but unlike a few I've read lately, I didn't feel that desperate need to finish it and I found I could put it down quite easily. Despite that though, I finished in within a few days. And it is a very good follow up to Red-headed Stepchild, just not a book about to become a favourite. Well worth reading but I really recommend reading the first book first, because this one would likely be pretty confusing otherwise. And for those who don't know, there is a short story in The Mammoth book of Vampire Romance 2 (otherwise known as Love Bites) which features Sabina and introduces Slade, who is featured quite heavily in this book. Not necessary to read it, but might give some insight in to Sabina's reactions/feelings towards him and his character on the whole. Will certainly be looking for the next book in this series, and it's one I'd recommend, just not a favourite for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical Mage Vamps, 25 April 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have to admit that I love it when I discover a new author however I always feel a bit worried by the second novel as I'm left wondering was the first a fluke or did they let the pressure get to them too much promising way too much against what they have to offer. What Jaye has gone on to prove with this tale is that she's no one hit wonder. Sabina jumps back into the saddle with her rapier wit, her snarky comments and above all never knowing when to shut up. Add to this the factors that she's learning to cope with new feelings on a personal level as well as trying to balance her burgeoning talents and you know that you've gotten a treat. The only negative to the whole piece is that Jaye leave the reader on tenterhooks with a real cliff-hanger that hopefully the next novel will pick up upon. That said it will feel like a real old fashioned Saturday Matinee to the older reader and we can only wait to see what Jaye has in mind for our intrepid heroine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 28 July 2013
Absolutely amazing book love vampire stories love all and any kind of supernatural beings in books would recommend this book and seller to all my friends and family who love vampire stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Continued the story, 12 July 2013
I really enjoyed first book so couldnt wait to continue with reading rest as i love a series, it develops characters etc and opens up histories etc too...

5.0 out of 5 stars The mage in black - fabulous book, 26 May 2013
A brilliant follow up to the first book. A highly addictive series - which I could happily read again and again. Excellent story/plot, brilliantly crafted characters. If you like Kelley Armstrong (Bitten etc), Kim Harrison (Dead witch walking) and similar books then you'll love this series. One of my favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER READ FOR OUR DAUGHTER, 14 Jan 2013
Boris "Martin Lee" (Milton Keynes England) - See all my reviews
Our daughter enjoys nothing more than reading books of this nature when snuggled up on the settee after the Grandsons are tucked up in bed and she can spent some quality time in peace. Not my choice of reading material but I know she will get great enjoyment out of working her way through it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read., 26 Nov 2012
Ken (Hartlepool, England) - See all my reviews
This volume was bought to go with the rest of the series. The book arrived very promptly, and was well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first rule of demon fight club..., 17 Jun 2012
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After turning her back on her vampire upbringing half-blood Sabina Kane finds herself thrust into the mage world in New York. United with the twin sister she never knew she had, Sabina has to deal with her family issues whilst suddenly having to follow mage rules. Faced with a prophecy claiming that she is destined to unite the dark races, Sabina isn't into destiny. But faced with demonic fight club, territorial werewolves and an old flame it looks like the Big Apple may be about to take a bite out of her...

This is the second book in the now complete Sabina Kane series (after Red-Headed Stepchild) which is one of my favourite urban fantasy series. It really needs to be read in order from the beginning due to the character development and world building. The storyline is both well plotted and well paced, and surprised me by the amount of twists, turns and manipulation still echoing throughout Sabina's life. The mysterious Caste of Nod are covered in more detail and are beginning to come out as a key player.

Sabina is really thrown in at the deep end, both with her sister Maisie and with mage culture in general. She has to further remove herself from vampire culture (drinking bagged blood for example) and also needs to learn to harness the innate talents endowed by her mage blood. Not only is she turning her back on her childhood, Sabina really doesn't think she is capable of doing anything but assassinate people and it is her insecurity that makes her accessible.

Maisie is the complete opposite of Sabina. She is a huggy, emotionally open earth mother type who paints her dreams and automatically accepts Sabina with no questions. She even supports Sabina's much-resisted attraction to Adam, who is sadly absent for much of the book. In his place is Sabina's old flame Slade who gives Sabina a chance to access elements of her old life. Adam's absence does means that the overdone love triangle is avoided and allows Sabina the space to make a decision as to which life (and guy) she truly wants.

Slade also opens a door for Giguhl, who is still my favourite character and is just as awesome and hilarious as ever. Slade's club hosts a demon fight club where Giguhl soon finds himself star of the show. The whole idea of the fight club is hilarious and the concept is well handled, managing to be action-packed and entertaining whilst growing Sabina and Giguhl's friendship.

I love that the designers kept Sabina's "Things to do:" checklist that looks paperclipped to the back covers. This installment has:
1. Survive Magic 101
2. Bond with long-lost sister
3. Stay alive

All in all, this was another great read and I can't wait for Green-Eyed Demon.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 8/10

Overall: 48/50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, 31 May 2012
Not bad, not bad at all. This is an interesting read for anyone who likes the fantasy genre. I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to any of my friends. As book two in a series we are still getting to know the key characters but what I've read so far has been very engaging. Buy it and see what you think!

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane)
The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane) by Jaye Wells (Mass Market Paperback - 1 April 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01