on 22 December 2014
We are always on the look out for good books on the subject of adoption because it helps bring out conversation. This book has some lovely bright engaging pictures but I feel it is let down by it's text. None of my children found the story engaging. For them it has been a read once and never bought out again book. The word adoption doesn't appear in any of the "story" so it could possibly be about any family. It is a nice book of affirmation but with that in mind it would be better if it was geared to an older child. A real shame but this one misses the mark for me. Although not a bad thing to have another book on adoption on the shelf.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 February 2008
Although WE BELONG TOGETHER is geared towards adoptive parents and their children, any family can benefit from reading the book, especially if done so together. Although I've read some negative reviews about the book, statements made that it gives the wrong message to adopted children, I don't think that's the case at all.

Both of my children have, at one time or another, asked why they were our kids and not someone elses. How is it that we became their parents, and not the parents of some other children? For younger children, who don't know all of the details of how becoming a parent works, this is a valid question.

My answer has always been the same as the one Todd Parr provides within the pages of the bright, bold, beautifully illustrated WE BELONG TOGETHER: because you needed love, and I had a lot to give.

This book, although it doesn't mention birth parents, makes the act of adoption a two-way street: both child and parent need something (love, learning, shelter, fun & laughter), and both have things to give in return (a hug & a kiss, knowledge, safety).

I think that this is a great book for adopted families, especially when read together. But all families will enjoy it, and the positive message of love and acceptance that it gives.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
on 25 March 2008
A great toddler book suited for any family member to read to the kids. Images are so 'could be me/you' that its hard to imagine it not linking into any new family situation. Emphasises the new shared love rather than birth parents difficulties.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 November 2007
Especially meaningful as we observe National Adoption Month, Todd Brown's bright, colorful book relates in language easy enough for the smallest child to understand what it means to become a family. He extends this warm text from children to include pets in need of a home, offering reasons why "we belong together."

While the reasons are elementary, they are also extremely powerful. Such as, "We belong together because you needed someone to help you grow healthy and strong, and I had help to give." Or, "We belong together because you needed someone to read to you and we had stories to share."

Share is often the operative word as once someone has become a part of a family then there are laughs to share, places to visit together, and most importantly love to share.

Adopted children will feel very special after hearing and seeing Todd Brown's views on making a family.

- Gail Cooke
on 9 July 2010
I was pleased with this book. It doesn't try and to do too much and it aims to provide a simple but positive message around adoption and why people do it. The pronouns do suggest a couple rather than a single adopter, however the author does suggest you adapt as necessary and I think it would still be useful to all adopters whether couples, singles, straight or gay. A nice way of introducing the subject to young adopted children. My daughter likes it and I feel the way it tackles the subject is just about right at this early stage.
on 19 July 2009
hi,
I was delighted with this - it is a perfect first book for adopted children it is very non specific in terms of age gender ethnicity etc so could be used with any child - it emphasises what the new family is offering in a fun way without any comment about why the child needed adopting
ideal for preschool children
also although it is not a British book it totally works in a British context
on 23 August 2015
I'm a foster carer and this book has come in very useful on more than one occasion.
on 29 September 2010
Apart from the book being aimed at a younger audience than my daughter [aged 6] I was very disappointed in this book and hid it from my daughter. We have always emphasised that we wished and wished for a child and how lucky we feel to have her. We needed to love a child but this book only talks of the child's needs and therefore reinforces the incorrect assumption that our children are taken in and loved in a different way to families with birth children. Todd Parr should have included the parents' needs too for a better balance. His other books encourage confidence in our children but this one, sadly falls way short.
on 30 December 2009
A simple in the usual Todd style that families are all different. Adoption and diversity is portrayed positively and our 4 year old enjoys the colour of the pictures and clarity of the messages. Yes there could be more about families needing the child, but I still feel the simplicity and explanation of adoption from one angle is helpful. This is a book that compliments others in our collection and I'm glad I bought it.
on 25 December 2014
Bought this for friends who are adopting and they thought it was perfect. Actually made them cry - happy not sad!