5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Have you ever done something that you wish you could take back? Something that changed your life forever?

Published on 4 Jan 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Zarr book, but I didn't hate it
The book revolves around the story of Deanna Lambert - who is basically more white-trash than middle-class - and who committed the unforgivable crime of sleeping with a seventeen year old when she was only thirteen. It gets worse though, because her own father catches her in the act, and the boy then turns to slander her name all over town dubbing her a "slut"...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by S. Shamma

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 4 Jan 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Story of a Girl (Hardcover)

We've all been there. We've all done something that we regret. Just like all of us, Deanna was once caught doing something that she wasn't proud of. Unfortunately for her, it almost ruined her teen years. Just one dumb relationship, sprinkled with naiveté and trust, and suddenly Deanna finds herself with the vulgar label of the school *****. It wasn't what she'd asked for; she'd only ever been with one guy. But the stories just won't stop. Like a horrible rerun of a hated sitcom, it seems like everywhere she turns, Deanna is confronted with what she did one night in a boy's car--and the fact that her father caught her doing it.

Deanna's story is touching, and the worst example of how one event can seem to define a person's life. But like the fighter she is, Deanna tries to move on and just live her life as normally as possible, with her two best friends and her family. But her family life isn't exactly picturesque. Her older brother, his wife Stacy, and their baby daughter are living in the basement. Her father is always arguing with Stacy, and Deanna thinks that he hates Stacy almost as much as he hates her since that fateful night when Deanna's life fell apart. Her mother loves her and tries so hard to give Deanna the care that she needs, but somehow it doesn't quite make up for the fact that their family is just barely scraping by. On top of all that, Deanna doesn't know if she'll ever make it out of Pacifica, a little dump of a town in the otherwise glamorous state of California.

After sophomore year is over, Deanna is stuck at home all summer. To get out of the house and keep her busy, she gets her first job at a little local pizza parlor. There, she discovers that the same boy who came so close ruining her life three years earlier is now her co-worker. While she struggles to understand her feelings towards him, she is also struggling at home to live with the strange family arrangement and someday find a way out.

Over the course of the summer, Deanna learns a lot about herself, her friends, and her family. By the time she returns to high school as a junior, she has a much better understanding of who she is, and that nobody else can define her. Sara Zarr did a wonderful job of creating Deanna, such a vulnerable character whose thoughts and actions are so believable. Never again will I judge somebody from a story I once heard about them, after seeing Deanna's account of just how much that can hurt.

Reviewed by: Amber Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, gripping, well-written, 7 Oct 2009
E. R. Welsby (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story Of A Girl (Paperback)
I knew I would cry before I even started reading this book, and I did, quite a bit. The novel is about a sixteen-year-old girl whose life is defined by something that happened when she was just thirteen; being found having sex with a boy. Her father still blames her, and most of the people in her small town know what happened - or rather, have heard a variation on what happened. Despite the fact that she's only ever been with one boy in her life, she has a reputation as a slut, and receives all kinds of crap because of it. There's also the added complication that her older brother got his girlfriend pregnant, and they and their baby daughter now live in the basement of her house.

It's an excellently written novel. It feels real, the characters are all well written, and the emotional punch is just right. According to the front cover, the book was a finalist for the National Book Award (which nation I'm not sure...) and it thoroughly deserved it. It's the kind of book I could imagine schools putting on their reading syllabuses, but as an adult I can easily say that it's not only suitable for teenagers, I thought it was one of the best books I've read in quite a while.

2.0 out of 5 stars Going back to school, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Story Of A Girl (Paperback)
Okay so i thought that this would be an interesting book and have a bit of deapth however it was exactly like somehing you read at school when they are trying to get you to read and warn off all things "bad"

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly bleak!, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: Story Of A Girl (Paperback)
I read Sara Zarr's other books before I read this one, and I agree with the other reviewer who said it wasn't her best. Her later books are more balanced, whereas I found this so bleak at times that it was hard going! I'm glad I persisted though as I admired its no-holds-barred approach to story telling. The characters are authentic and their complicated relationships dealt with clearly and honestly. I'd still recommend it, but don't make it your first Sara Zarr book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Zarr book, but I didn't hate it, 11 Jun 2012
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story Of A Girl (Paperback)

Three years later, Deanna has not set a foot wrong, she is a "good girl" yet still the "town slut" - not sure how that works, but it does. Her father has not spoken to her in those three years, has not even looked at her. Her brother impregnated his girlfriend and now has a baby daughter called April, whom Deanna adores. And Deanna's best friend Jason is going out with her other best friend Lee (and that's a female by the way, I know, I thought he was gay too).

Things only get worse when Deanna takes a summer job at a pizzeria, only to find Tommy - the boy she slept with at thirteen - working there. You'd think she'd quit, but nope, she still takes the job.

Obviously, there are deeper themes and meanings behind the storyline, like Deanna's strength, and determination. Her pride and courage in putting up with her reputation every single day, putting up with her judgmental father, and putting up with her miserable life that is going nowhere. I respected her for her ability to face each day, even though it would have been much easier to disappear or run away. And I respected her for tying up all loose ends and standing up to her worries and fears at the end. I also related very much to her low self-esteem, her lack of confidence, and her paranoia. I could understand the family drama that ensued, I could understand how difficult it is to have a relationship between a father and a daughter, how difficult it was for them to convey emotions. But I loved the relationship between Deanna and her brother Darren and his wife and daughter.

All in all, a good read in that it contained very interesting themes and messages. It just lacked a solid plot and storyline for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this to avoid a heart attack, 26 Jan 2011
L. Young (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Story Of A Girl (Paperback)
Nothing really happens in this book. The 4 only relatively interesting events seem to be her getting over a guy she slept with 3 years ago, having an argument with her dad, having an argument with her friend, and her brothers sister going to a party.
Honestly, nothing happens apart from these "non-events". The whole time I was reading this book I was waiting for the climax, but there wasn't one.
I thought at first I was perhaps a little too old for the book - perhaps it's for younger teens (I'm 18.) But no, wait, I still read jacqueline wilson.

That aside, the authors style of writing is easy to follow, and flows well, making an easy read.

The seller, oxfambooks, sent this book to me extremely quickly and in excellent condition.

Story Of A Girl
Story Of A Girl by Sara Zarr (Paperback - 3 April 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01