4.0 out of 5 stars Tense, thrilling, sexy and fun!
Published on 5 Aug 2008 by Lucy Felthouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired
Dark Moon (Nightcreature 3)
I so wanted to love it, but I just couldn't. I read a lot of paranormal fiction, in all its forms but I just could not warm to Lori Handeland's Nightcreature Series.
Published on 31 Jan 2009 by M. Malone

4.0 out of 5 stars Tense, thrilling, sexy and fun!, 5 Aug 2008
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am becoming quite the paranormal addict. And the quality of books I'm getting my hands on isn't doing anything to alleviate my new-found passion. It was mainly vampires, but now I've discovered how cool werewolf novels can be too! However, this one is categorised on Amazon as being erotic, which I don't strictly agree with. Yes, the plot contains a fair bit of sex, but it's not graphic, and it's as a result of the relationship between two of the main characters. The erotic element isn't what moves the book along, and isn't a main focus. So if it's erotica you're after, you'll only get a very mild thrill from this novel.

However, I digress. Dark Moon is a fab, if not pretty complex, novel. Dr Elise Hanover is a research scientist trying to discover the cure for lycanthropy - that is, turning into a werewolf when there's a full moon. It's a subject very close to her heart, namely because she also suffers the affliction. From birth, the virus resided in her veins, but only the discovery of her one true love unlocked the full potential. And a cruel twist of fate meant that having found Nic, Elise then had to leave, deserting poor Nic and breaking her heart.

Years later, Elise is holed up in a secret laboratory busily looking for a cure for lycanthropy, when Nic shows up. The pair are dumbfounded to be faced with one another after all these years. Elise, because she never stopped loving him and only left because she had no choice, and Nic because he believed Elise was dead. Reacquainted, the pair have no idea how to react. Nic has tons of questions for Elise... ones she can't answer. Because Nic is FBI, and divulging secrets would spell the end of Elise's life.

A temporary distraction from Nic's questions is the total destruction of the laboratory and everything in it, leaving a rather large crater in the ground. The pair are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no means of communication, and only an ATV to get them around. And someone is shooting bullets. Silver ones. Werewolves can heal themselves from ordinary wounds, but silver will kill them for good. Which can mean only one thing. Someone knows what Elise is, and wants her dead.

The two have little choice but to go to Edward, Elise's intimidating and eccentric boss. As they try to piece together what's happened, and what is going to happen, things get much worse...

For me, this was a great introduction to the world of werewolf novels. It's not sexy in the way vampire novels can be, as obviously when a human becomes 'furry' they don't resemble a human and therefore lose the eroticism. But this book most definitely had some sexy action... but when Elise was in human form. The tension between the two main characters is palpable, and all the way through the book I was constantly on edge to find out what was going to happen next. I enjoyed this, and will be eagerly working my way through the rest of Lori Handeland's books.

If you love paranormal, you'll love this. It's tense, thrilling, funny and sexy. Fantastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, 31 Jan 2009
M. Malone (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Dark Moon (Nightcreature 3)
The heroine is boring and I couldn't care less if Elise is fine and lives happily ever after or not. In this third installment, we yet again have a socially inept woman with tons of issues, a hunky man (not that I mind, but it gets repetitive) and a big threat to the Jaeger-Suchers. However, after dealing with trust issues and a bit of shooting all is well.
The usage of German in the book, is thank God limited but even at that is heavy handed and sometimes just wrong.

There are much better books out there, don't waste your money on these.
Try Kelley Armstrong's "Otherworld" series or Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty" series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun furry creatures meet the Jagers, 4 Mar 2008
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Following on in her successful series this tale follows the exploits of the projects chief scientist and liason for the Werewolf hunters known as the Jager-Suchers. As usual with Lori we have romance, action and characters dealing with personal struggles throughout the book that keeps you going until the last page. The series is not only gripping but something that is a comfort read on days when your not well (or days when things haven't been going so well) and gives the reader a happy glow when they've finished. A book you can pick up without having read the rest of the series but you will have missed out on a treat if you choose to do so. A fun series and one for supernatural lovers everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars you really need to read them all, 20 Jun 2006
Penny Harvey "penhar" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I can understand the last review as this was the first of this series she'd tried; as the majority of the characters have been present since the first book of the series you miss out a bit not knowing any of the 'history' and I would imagine it can get a little confusing.

Though I enjoyed this I did find it a little predictable (I know - they are - but...)but the characters are interesting and there is plenty of banter - again most coming from the old characters.

Elise Hanover who works as a scientist - in virtual solitary confinement shoots out into the open when her lab is blown apart and an old flame (pardon the pun) begins investigating missing persons. Nic the sexy FBI agent takes most of the information he finds about werewolves and magic in his stride and he cannot deny the chemistry and passion which still remains when he is near Elise. We find a little more about her shadowy history - which will no doubt develop as the series grows.

Dead bodies are disappearing; graves being desecrated, the 'subjects' from Elise's lab are possibly on the loose; add to that Native American burial grounds and a gypsy witch and all in all the plot is fast paced and well put together.

If you like the paranormal, some humour, sexy characters and, of course werewolves my suggestion would be to start with the first in the series and go from there.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but decide for yourself, 12 April 2006
H. Barnes (staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the 1st book of Lori Handeland's that ive read, and its left me undecided. This is Elise's story the hard working scientist who is trying to find a cure for being a werewolf. Elise is trying to find the cure because she is a werewolf. The characters are thought out and the plot flows well. But i cant decide as to whether i like the book my recommendation is to read the book and give it a go. Elise's story is the 3rd book of the series so im going to read the 1st book before deciding whether or not to purchase more

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 July 2014
Great book!

Dark Moon
Dark Moon by Lori Handeland (Mass Market Paperback - 25 July 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01