5.0 out of 5 stars Great poet, great collection

Published on 27 Jan. 2010 by Anita Tovell

1.0 out of 5 stars Robert Frost's Poems - commentary problem, 27 Jan. 2010
Anita Tovell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
I have a background in English poetry and have only just come across Robert Frost. I bought this book as an introduction to his poetry . This is not the book to buy if you are new to Robert Frost. The commentary is so interwoven with the poems that it is hard to see which is which. Also I do not think the poems are in date order - or if they are it is not clear. This is a book to purchase if you know the poems and are looking for commentary. It is not a good book to buy if you are trying to read the poems for the first time. I shall buy another book of Frosts poems as his poetry is very good - and hopefully buy one without an interleaved commentary. This commentary does not even tell me what date Frost died.

1.0 out of 5 stars Layout Problem, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
Unfortunately the layout of this book is very poor. Poems are interspersed with commentary and notes and these run straight on from each other which ruins the flow of the poems themselves - there is no poem to a page sort of layout here. It's all a bit cluttered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great poet, great collection, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
Robert Frost is a name which can't be separated from American literature. No, even more than that: he belongs to world literature. Why is that? Well, for several reasons. First, his poems are timeless. They seem to have been written in a time long gone. But that is not true. Frost is a person of the first half of the twentieth century, and while his contemporaries wrote poems as inscrutable and dense as London fog, he stuck to the old way of writing. Yes, he uses rhymes, and yes, he writes about nature, as did Wordsworth and Blake. Still, nature was, is, and always will be a topic, especially in the twenty-first century.
Secondly, Frost's symbolic meaning behind his - apparently simple - poetry is striking. Take, for example, the poem "The Road not Taken". Everyone of us will come to the point in our life when we have to face existential decisions. And voilà, there are the roads one (or some) of which can't be taken - and some might say: "I took the one less traveled by / And that has made all the difference".
Thirdly, the psychology of it. Similar to Browning, Frost can slip inside other people's heads as easily as one can count to three. He tells the tales of simple men and certain encounters - makes fictitious people alive and shows a greater truth by relating the stories of their experiences. There is, for instance, this wanderer who admires a certain mountain from afar. One day he meets a simple farmer who lives at the mountains's foot. The wanderer is sort of shocked when he gets to know that the farmer has never been on the mountain top, even more so, when he is told about a miraculous spring that can be found there. The farmer is simply not interested - you see, there are two philosophies which, as it were, hit upon each other.
Fourthly, and lastly, the internationality of Frost's poetry has to be mentioned. As an American who lived some time in England, he knows the best of both worlds. English rurality meets New English country charm. Frost's international success is put into words by Robert Graves: Frost is "[t]he first American who could honestly be reckoned a master-poet by world standards." I'd like to point out that I am a German and I am always deeply touched when I read one of Frost's poems.
Still not convinced? Oh, but I have to stop now. "[...] I have promises to keep / And miles to go before I sleep / And miles to go before I sleep".

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a useful compilation of Frost's poems. It is interspersed with commentary, but poems can be found easily using the index. I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frost, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
this is a book that will last me my lifetime. so i'll dip into it regularly. good and prompt deleivery and in good condiiton.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a poet and also a reader of poetry so yes I loved the, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
thank you for the prompt delivery of this book, I am a poet and also a reader of poetry so yes I loved the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for lovers of Robert Frost, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Robert Frost's Poems (Mass Market Paperback)
I use this book for my class - as I'm an English teacher I use this book for my class

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Frost, 30 Dec. 2014
Nice gift and appreciated

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best poet of the 20th century, 23 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
For me, Robert Frost is one of the best poet of the 20th century. His work really penetrates the reader, and I usely read a poem 2 or 3 times, outloud, to completely enjoy and feel it deeply. And every time I'm charmed. A must to have in one's library, to read from time to time.

Robert Frost's Poems
Robert Frost's Poems by Robert Frost (Mass Market Paperback - 31 May 2002)