5.0 out of 5 stars Health warning
Please, please, please do NOT read this book in public. I took it on holiday with me and I have not yet recovered. I was unable to contain guffawing shrieks of laughter and at one point, on a crowded beach, had to stop reading the book I was so embarrased. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
There is one particular episode involving a kidnapped dog which was so...
Published on 4 Nov 2004 by Geoff Le Prevost

2.0 out of 5 stars not so good
I love all the Stephanie Plum books and own many audio cds.Nothing beats driving with stephanie and lula. When I purchased Hot Six I thought it was read by the great Lorelei King but unfortunately it is read by Debi Mazur. I'm sure she is a very nice person but she cannot 'do the voices'. This is literally an 'audio book' and is just read. So disappointing.I will make...
Published on 28 Sep 2011 by D. Bailey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Health warning, 4 Nov 2004
Geoff Le Prevost (Westerham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There is one particular episode involving a kidnapped dog which was so funny, I read it over and over with tears streaming down my face. This was in a Greek restaurant.
You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slapstick Rules as Klutzy Criminals Cruise, 22 May 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This book belongs in a new category: Something funnier than comedy that contains a little crime as context for the humor. Seriously, this book is funnier than if The Three Stooges played the criminals and took on The Keystone Kops.
The story has several running gags that are well sustained. Stephanie Plum and those who are attracted to her are very interested in having sexual relations, but are continually stymmied in unpredictable ways. Bob, the dog, comes into Stephanie's life, and one disaster follows another. This dog is the Lucille Ball of animals, and makes a complete farce out of every situation. The criminals in question are so clumsy and stupid that they continually give themselves away, leaving you with virtually no mystery to hold in your hands. Stephanie continually has her efforts to be a bounty hunter turn out poorly, yet somehow she gets out of the worst of what could happen with another hilarious mishap scene. Stephanie's grandmother decides she wants to ride the wild side and moves in with Stephanie. Between her interest in men and snoring, she is driving Stephanie up a wall. There are more such running gags, but you get the idea. Many books make the mistake of overdoing a single running gag. By filling this book to the brim with them, none are overdone.
Few novels feel like they should be a movie, but this is clearly one of them. Each scene is very visceral in its development and humor.
You may not want to read this book right away. It is so funny that you may want to save it for an emergency, like the fire hose in most building hallways. You can be sure you'll laugh your head off whenever you do read it.
By the way, for those who like a synopsis: Stephanie's mentor, Ranger, is video taped in a building moments before the victim is murdered and the building is torched. Ranger is on the lam from the cops, and there's a warrant out for his arrest. Stephanie and others help him keep an eye on things so he can prove his innocence. More murders ensue, and the bad guys are foiled in the end.
Have a ball overcoming your misconception that crime cannot be funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slapstick Rules as Klutzy Criminals Cruise, 22 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Have a ball overcoming your misconception that crime cannot be funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had found Janet Evanovich earlier!!!!!!, 26 Nov 2003
Jen (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
I have only recenly discovered Janet Evanovich, and her bounty hunter Stephanie Plum, but wish I found her earlier. I got Hot Six from the library, and had read it in 24 hours, unfortunatley I had not done any washing / cleaning and had lived on junk food. I am sure Stephanie would approve however that the dog went out!!!!
Morelli, Ranger, Bob and Rex - The three men in her life, and Gramdma Mazur, Lulu and Connie - the women all add up to great stories, laughs and with a few FTA's thrown in!!!
Basically what I am trying to say is that I dare you to pick it up, because putting it down is not an option!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, BRILLIANT!!!!!, 18 May 2001
Warding Charlotte (Helsingborg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
She has done it again, Plum is back, in full force. This is the first serie of mystery/crime novels that I find is both thrilling and laugh-out-loud-funny. I just wish she could write a bit faster. I have read all six books in two weeks and can't wait for number seven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read anywhere you are embrassed to laugh outloud!, 15 Mar 2001
This review is from: Hot Six (Hardcover)
I was introduced to this author by a friend from university, who raved & raved about her. I admit to being very cynical about anything being that good. But from the 1st chapter of 1 for the Money, I was hooked. I carried this book in my bag to work, I read it on the bus, on my lunch break and didn't speak to a single person voluntarily till i had finished it. Then within 10 days of finishing it I had bought & read my way through the next four adventures of Stephanie Plum. These actions left me with a 6 months period of cold turkey while i awaited Hot Six, in which my emotions went from annoyance that JE dosen't write faster, to fear that Hot six won't live up to its predecessors, to longing & anticipation for it to be published.
However upon reading it I was relived to find my fears groundless. This book was everything i could wish for madcap, sexy and laughout loud crazy with a group of characters that made me relived & slighty jealous not to live Trenton New Jersey. And just incase J.E ever reads these reviews. I say thank you, thank you, thank you and please write faster. (ps don't let the film people miscast or tinker with your story)

5.0 out of 5 stars How does she go on being so good?, 10 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Most writers flag by the time they've got to number 6 in a series, not Janet Evanovich. Hot Six is as fast moving, as funny as all the others, Stephanie's as engaging, Morelli's still the sexiest thing between the pages of a book, the supporting cast is just great and Rex the hamster survives another potential peril. What more could you ask? This was great, I can't wait to lay my hands on Seven Up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly entertaining!!!, 1 Mar 2001
This review is from: Hot Six (Hardcover)
Having been introduced to Stephanie Plum by my mother in law, I quickly read through one to six...NEVER have I laughed out so loud at these books and Seven Up is taking TOO LONG to get over here! You never want the story to end yet you turn the pages with such ferocity and passion! From the Stephs 'chained to the shower rail' in book one through to good ol' Grandma Mazur shooting the chicken in the gumpy,her love for 'viewings'and the latest lycra fashions are simply hilarious. I hear that a film is in the offing but i don't think it will be a patch on the books - they never are! Who they would get to play Lula god only knows...the saddest thing is that it will take me a day to read Seven Up, then i'll have to go cold turkey for another god knows how long before eight comes out....please don't ever stop Janet.....(ps if anyone has ever read any other books that are similar in entertainment factor, would you let me know please?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, sexy and very funny, 22 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Stephanie Plum, the bounty hunter from hell, is back, and if you are a fan, this book won't let you down at all. Starting with the premise that Ranger is wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of a Greek arms dealer, Stephanie has to help him try to clear his name. Along the way, she encounters a homicidal maniac who tries to set fire to her, wrecks a few more cars, Grandma Mazur moves in with her, and she discovers that everyone in Trenton can break into her apartment except her. In between having to talk a suicidal shoplifter off a bridge, Stephanie is followed by her archenemy Joyce Barnhardt, who is trying to recapture Ranger, and two incompetent thugs who hope by following Stepahnie, she will lead them to Ranger. Joined once again by Lula as her back-up, and freely admintting that they often look like "the amateur hour of worst of Cops bloopers" Stephanie somehow manages not to get herself killed, while trying to get some time alone with Morelli, and figure out why Ranger is flirting with her. Even if you have never read a Stephanie Plum novel before, this book will make you laugh out loud, as she ztumbles from getting caught falling out of a tree by the guy whose house she is watching, acquires a dog called Bob who eats everything in sight, and becomes a cigarette smuggler for the arms-dealer-in-chief in Trenton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully back on form with this one, 26 Sep 2000
charliem@chello.nl (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hot Six (Hardcover)
I discovered Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum by accident at an airport and have been hooked ever since. The books fly by with outrageous characters and plot twists that keep you gripped and laughing to the end. However, I was a little worried that the standard had started to slip with High Five. By some standards this was a good book, but by the high standards of the previous books in the Stephanie Plum series, it was just pretty good. So I was glad to see that with Hot Six things have returned to cracking form. All the usual characters are there and as whacky as usual and the new ones add to the fun. Bob is especially believable and the jokes around his toilet habits are laugh out loud on a tram funny. One to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa7692504)

Hot Six (Stephanie Plum Novels)
Hot Six (Stephanie Plum Novels) by Janet Evanovich (Mass Market Paperback - 30 Jun 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01