3.0 out of 5 stars Overall a 3 star read, 22 Aug 2009
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Huntress (Mass Market Paperback)
"Huntress" is an anthology containing four short paranormal romances from well established authors. As expected from the title, each female lead is on the hunt, be it for revenge, justice, missing friends or to save the life of a loved one.

Devil's Bargain by Christine Warren
Half demon Lilli is soon knee deep in an impending apocalypse after dealing with the devil and falling in love with a magic user along the way. 4 stars

The Robber Bride by Marjorie M Liu
Set in a futuristic United States slowly recovering from the gruesome outbreak of a deadly virus, Maggie is forced to acknowledge her own abilities when hunting for a kidnapped friend. 3 stars

Down in the Ground by Caitlin Kittredge
A wily woman forces magi Jack Winter into helping her enter the demon world to assassinate a demon responsible for the death of her lover. 2 stars

Sin Slayer by Jenna Maclaine
Vampire witch Cin is in London and on the hunt for a murderous demon that now inhabits the body of her beloved husband Michael. 3 stars

This anthology surprised me. Purchased solely for the Marjorie M Liu story, I was left rather disappointed with "The Robber Bride". The story lacked the excitement I expect from this author (despite the interesting premise), and whilst unexpected, I actually didn't like the end. The surprising star of this quartet was Christine Warren's "Devil's Bargain". A great love story with two well crafted leading lovers, plus plenty of action, sparks of humour and hot romance, all wrapped up in just under 90 pages.

Although I have not encountered the 2 full length "Cin Craven" novels already in print, plus another few short stories in further anthologies, JM quickly brings a new reader up to speed in the interesting life of Dulcinea (Cin) Craven and her life as a vampire warrior witch. I look forward to reading more by this author; however I very much wish I had read the first novel "Wages of Sin" before reading "Sin Slayer"

"Down in the Ground" was an enjoyable fantasy read, but lacked an obvious romantic spark. The passion between Jack and Ava lacks any real emotion behind it; Jack sleeping with Ava because he's horny, whilst Ava uses sex to coerce his co-operation. Their blossoming love seems improbable, whilst Ava comes across as manipulative, blinkered and stupidly naive, rather than likeable yet headstrong.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 May 2011
M. Kaye "Mitsh" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Huntress (Mass Market Paperback)
As with the other review I purchased this book as I love the Marjorie M. Liu Dirk & Steele series, unfortunately I've been sorely disappointed with the book.

Christine Warren's "Devil's Bargin" took me a long time to complete (and I'm a fast reader), was OK when I finally finished it.

Marjorie's "The Robber Bride" wasn't as enjoyable as I had expected. I found the story took a long time to setup and ended very quickly. Please do not judge her writing on this story - try a Dirk & Steele novel first.

Caitlin Kittredge's "Down in the Ground", I got totally turned off and didn't bother reading most of it, I read a couple of the chapters and then skipped straight to the end. I certainly won't be looking at any further books or stories by this author.

The highlight of the book, in my opinion, was the final story "Sin Slayer" by Jenna MacLaine it was enjoyable and moved along at a good pace. I have already looked into other books and will be interested to read more.

Huntress
Huntress by Jenna Maclaine (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Aug 2009)
4.69