4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait
I've waited many many years for this book to come out, so my expectations were very high when I finally got my hands on it.

Published 23 months ago by Bexybat

Published 23 months ago by Esther Leytush

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bard's Oath (Hardcover)

At first I wanted more involvement of the characters we love most, Linden and Maurynna as the beginning is very much centered on Raven and Leet. But as the story developed it was utterly gripping and difficult to put down. The twists and turns as we see the acts of Leet and the trouble Raven finds himself in is extremely compelling and makes for a very good read. It's only in the end when the Dragonlords become more involved in the story, which was a bit of a shame.

Most disappointing was the lack of dragon involvement, the dragonlords very rarely transform into their dragon counter parts and when they do it isn't for long or for any exciting purpose.

Overall a very good read and a great sequel to the previous books, finally settling that nagging need to find up what Leet was up to in Dragon and Pheonix. I hope that there will be more to come from Joanne Bertin, as the tales of the Dragonlords are among my all time favourite stories and well worth waiting for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad for it to have come out at last, but somehow unsatisfying, 24 Feb. 2013
Esther Leytush "Leytush" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bard's Oath (Hardcover)
Joanne Bertin has delivered the long-awaited sequel to Dragon and Pheonix. Thank you, Joanne. But somehow you chose to pursue an offshoot that was simply not as satisfying as, for example, pursuing the Jehanglan cliffhanger. Plus the story falls short: the plot feels contrieved, it moves and closes too neatly. Too much of the dialogue feels unrealistic because characters in those circumstances would have no need to feel as intensely as you made them out. The characters are off: too polarized into good and evil, and almost none exhibit moral ambiguity that is left as it is. (I really can only think of one instance and that was the luthier's participation, yet at the end he, too, is freed from the difficulty of having done bad things at some point and is repositioned conclusively as a 'good guy'.) The characters' emotions and emotional expressions seem flat, entirely reactive, and obvious. I miss the feel of really interesting characters like Dragon and Pheonix's Shei-Luin who was--unlike the way the characters of this text were positioned--individualistic, morally suspect, motivated by her own real needs, and therefore more real and more relatable.

The fact of the Dragonlords is in this text used almost not at all and only under extremely convenient circumstances. Overall I'd expect something like this from a fanfic offshoot, not from the woman who made my heartstrings sing when Maurynna thinks Linden doesn't care for her, when the truedragons storm Jehanglan, when Linden falls ill and Maurynna finds him, when Shei-Luin realizes her child bears her lover's birthmark, or a thousand other moments that made the previous two books such important additions to my fantasy library. But still, Joanne, I'm still going to buy your next book, in hopes that it offers me something more honest or real than what you've offered me in this one, something that is more in the real spirit of the world of the Dragonlords.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Bard's Oath (Hardcover)
I read the first two books a long time ago and loved them but I can only give this book three stars. It is a nice easy read but lacks depth and things are over explained. It did not leave me feeling like I wanted more. The characters are either good or bad and the dragons played almost no part except for transportation. Hopefully the next one will be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wait is finally over!, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bard's Oath (Hardcover)
Book was brill but waiting all those years for it to be written and published sucked so it lost a star for that

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley great., 8 Feb. 2014
I thought that this book was supherb, I found it very difficult to put down. I hope there will be more books in the 'Dragonlord' series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Dec. 2014
Third of a ripping good trilogy, hooked now and will be looking for more by Joanne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Dec. 2014
very happy with this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, 10 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Bard's Oath (Hardcover)
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
It was very good and interesting; i started reading it early this morn and finished it this afternoon! It was that gripping and interesting. I hope Joanne Bertin writes a lot more about the dragonlords and the bards.
They are awesome; please let her next book be about the Beast Healers! and more on Shima; the newest dragonlord!!

Bard's Oath
Bard's Oath by Joanne Bertin (Hardcover - 27 Nov. 2012)