1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disapointing, 19 Nov 1999
By A Customer
I was delighted when I walked into Forbidden Planet London and saw Fred Saberhagen's "The Arrival" staring out at me from a preview shelf. Moments later I was sitting in the Burger King across the street starting into the book.
It started off with a lot of promise. The opening has Jonathon Doors and his wife Amanda awaiting the Arrival of the Taelons on earth. Quite I good start I though, I was curious to know what the reaction would be to an alien race arriving. Unfortunately then it went downhill. Why? Well I found the book to bear no recognition to the show that I know and love. Two of the main Taelon characters in the book are named Namor and Lekren. I for one liked the split Taelon names and was hoping to see that continue as a trend or even a culture statement of the Taelons.
The next problem? Well I found the Taelons to be totally unconvincing as Taelons. They spoke in long sentences and even explained themselves on a number of occasions. Also they bow or have the "gesture of agreement" even second sentence. Ok so I am exaggerating slightly, but it felt like they were, even the author says, "again the gesture of agreement" and "The Companion performed his gracious little bow". I also have great trouble with the image of a Taelon "pulling out a chair" and sitting down, nevermind wearing a seatbelt.
Little problems like that first caught my eye and began to turn me off the book. I found it quite hard to actually finish it. The main story is not of Jonathon Door's, but of his father Jubal Doors. This entire part of (and as the majority of the book) bored me. It was slow paced and spent far too much time mentioning Jubal's attempt at seducing a young actress.
Jonathon Doors and Da'an are the only two characters from the show that appear in the book. Even so Da'an only makes a brief cameo spouting some very un-Taelon like lines.
All of this added up to well little problems that yes put me off the book. Still they are little problems which could have been recovered had the book had a good plot. Unfortunately it did not. The prime story is not what was expected and while it does leave you wondering what is going to happen next, it left me wondering do I really care?
If I am to be fully honest I have to say the only reason I finished this book was to write a review.
In my opinion, it is a bad book, and I would not be surprised if the author had never seen the show.
I can not look back 4 days after reading it and have one good thing about it standout, and that is a shame. I love the show, I was looking forward to a really good book and I can only hope that the next book delivers on that.

ARRAY(0xb268439c)

Earth: Final Conflict: Arrival
Earth: Final Conflict: Arrival by Fred Saberhagen (Hardcover - 31 Dec 1999)
Used & New from: 0.62