5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful SF love story, 19 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: There are Doors (Paperback)
In two words this is a 'stunning book'. It creates the compulsion to read it in one haul, the book is not to be put down till you've read the end. And then you get homesick. That's the best recommendation that I know of for a book. After you've read it you miss it terribly and can't bring yourself to reading another book.
It is not a novel which is situated in the Whorl, familiar to most Gene Wolfe readers. Its stage is an 'ordinary' every day middle sized town in the U.S., in an uncertain time period in the near past. In this novel Gene Wolfe gives us his version of the universal science fiction theme of parallel universes. The protaganist ends up in a world very similar to this one, with the exception that Gods actually walk the streets. The story then evolves in a magical love story which invoke strong empathical emotions in the reader. It is a genuine cracker, a must for Gene Wolfe adepts!
Gert-Jan

5.0 out of 5 stars Delayed effect..., 11 Jun 2005
This review is from: There are Doors (Paperback)
I came to this book after reading Gene Wolfe's New Sun books, and to be honest I was disappointed - it seemed flat and a little obscure. In fact, I gave the book to a charity shop as soon as I finished it.
I really regret that now though, as I often find myself thinking about it, three or four years on. This is definitely a book that grows in your mind, and my only advice is to hold on to your copy, as you'll want to read it again some day...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best fantasy novel of its kind, 14 Jun 2014
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: There are Doors (Paperback)
I have just re-read this for about the fifth time, and it gets better with every reading. Arguably Wolfe's finest novel, this is almost a primer in how 'real world' fantasy ought to be written.

The one proviso is that if you are the sort of person that needs to know what is happening all the way through, you will be very frustrated, as to begin with the reader is in as much a state of mystery as the main character. I love the way Wolfe plays with us, making it not quite clear whether the fantasy part is really happening, or just part of a mental patient's delusion. (I'm reminded of that great Buffy episode where it's possible that the whole show is essentially the delusions of a disturbed young woman, but in the end she decides to abandon reality... though of course There Are Doors was there first.)

The story veers from dream to nightmare, near reality to the sort of thing you'd see in a 1920s horror film. Word for word it delivers perfection. And, for once, Wolfe overcomes his greatest fault of not knowing quite how to end a book. Not everyone will agree, but for me, quite possibly my favourite novel ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A poignant story that grows on you over time, 4 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: There are Doors (Paperback)
This novel is a bit of a departure from the usual genre, as it is first and foremost a love story, with elements of fantasy and science fiction enmeshed in the plot.
We start the novel as the protagonist's relationship with his lover comes to a sudden, unexpected end. Searching for her, he enters into a world like and yet unlike our own, and he starts wondering if he has gone insane.
It is here that the novel truly begins to shine, as the themes of reality and sanity are explored. Is our hero mad, or is he experiencing it all for real? The answer will surprise you, and the denouement of the story has an almost heartbreaking poignancy rarely seen in the genre.

There are Doors
There are Doors by Gene Wolfe (Paperback - 27 Mar 2002)