5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
Published on 11 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull premise badly executed.
Published on 6 Jan 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 April 1999
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
I have had mixed opinions about Mr. De Lint's short stories - some are wonderful and touching, some very forgettable. None seem like they would be of as much value if stretched out into a longer telling. In this fine tome, though, De Lint proves himself capable of writing a wonderful story and more importantly keeping it up for over 400 pages. The end is a bit "happy" for my tastes, especially when looking at the hard realism De Lint often uses, but the book as a whole is a winner. I wish we had gotten to view the world more from Johnny's viewpoint, since every other character's eyes and feelings are used numerous times in telling the story, but the one look we get from Johnny's perspective explains his character perfectly. As always with Mr. De Lint's writing, the prose is wonderful, even if you disagree with some of his philosophy. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing as always..., 23 Feb 1999
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
I like De Lint's work. It's always fresh and fun. The ideas are well handled and the characters (usually just a couple of them) are well honed. Like so many of his other books, this one is set in the semi-Faeriefied "urban folklore" style he's known for. This book is sometimes tedious, but there's so little like it that you'll enjoy yourself (especially if you enjoyed any of his past works).

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull premise badly executed., 6 Jan 1999
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
I bought Trader almost entirely on the strengh of its premise, an idea that I still find fascinating. However, I found the book's execution lacking in the extreme. The narrative is flat and unimaginative. The characters are interchangable (there were several switches between Zeffy and Nia in the spiritworld that I felt were completely unnecessary since they were both thinking the same thing). But all this takes a back seat to the book's unabashed preachiness. It's always good when an author tries to do more than tell a story, but the constant hammering of De Lint's (true) ideas about how life should be lived gets old before the story is even into its first 100 pages. Trader shines (and shine it does) only when the characters are allowed to be themselves instead of mouthpieces for some philosophy, such as when Max reminisces about Janossy, or when Zeffy plays her guitar. Finally, and this is really my personal preference, I have a problem with what for lack of a better word I'm going to call the science of Trader. The magic is unexplained, and even after it is named and described it remains a sort of ephemeral "if you wish it, it will come" sort of attitude that is really no more than a new-age deus ex machina. Maybe this is just me being a Scully, but even if I'm going to accept the existance of magic and the paranormal, I would like some internal logic to that fantasy, and I didn't find it in Trader.
After all this you're probably wondering why I gave this book 3 stars, but the fact is I read the entire book and didn't suffer through it, it was quite readable, but not remarkable. In short, this was a 'nice' book. What's really sad is that it had a great premise, and carries within it the thwarted promise of a great book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
Great concept but the book simply gives you no reason to read on. Quiet honestly it's a little boring. The constant changing of character stops the book from having any real flow. The characters aren't really believable. I read the last 10 pages with the same level of interest that I read the first 10. I actually put the book down with 5 pages to go as I was tired. I don't think I've ever done that with a book before. That said the book isn't all bad. The concept is brilliant and it is a complete story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rewarding visit to Newford and beyond, 6 Nov 1998
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
When first hearing of "Trader" the subject of this book didn't really sound appealing. Luckily I decided to buy it anyway. Returning to Newford and its enchanting people was great. Okay, it did get some getting used to the permanent switching of characters but this style of writing helped unfolding this story, a real page-turner!
In my opinion, though, De Lint put too much different storylines in this book and therefore couldn't explore all of them deeply enough. The final showdown between Trader and Devlin wasn't quite what I expected it to be. This guy takes away all the basics of Max'existence, but there is not really a deeper-going dialogue between the leading characters!
But all in all "Trader" is a book really worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars De Lint gets better and better, 6 April 1998
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
Charles De Lint has become one of my favorite authors, although I only discovered him a year or so ago. Trader drew me in and made me care about the characters, and it also gave me something to think about. Revisiting Newford, and meeting more more of its inhabitants (while styaing in touch with old friends) makes reading De Lint's stories more like receiving a wonderful, long letter from a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it with a reservation or two; great wisdom at the end, 4 April 1998
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
I found this book a little overlong and rambling, but the culmination of Trader's NDE makes the book worth reading. There were also original explorations/treatments of old ideas: the Kafkaesque concept of waking in a stranger's body and mortals visiting Faerie, a.k.a. Tir-na-Og. I have sometimes felt critical of de Lint because I felt that he romanticized the homeless and other marginal members of society; IMO he is making that mistake less and less often as time goes on. That showed in this book. I also like the continuity of the characters that have appeared in other books.

2.0 out of 5 stars A classic? In a word, No., 14 Jun 1999
This review is from: Trader (Paperback)
My curiosity about Charles De Lint was piqued by the Modern Library readers' choice list of the 100 best books of the century. His name came up so many times, and I'd never heard of him. Even though the list was obviously hijacked by Scientologists, sci-fi and fantasy freaks, I had to find out: Is the mysterious Mr. De Lint one of the century's great writers? Guess what: He's not even one of the so-so ones. The premise of Trader is OK (hence the two stars), but the writing is pedestrian at best, adolescent and repetitive at worst. Oh well, on to the collected wit and wisdom of L. Ron Hubbard...

Trader
Trader by Charles De Lint (Hardcover - Feb 1997)
Used & New from: 0.65